PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Vintage Modern or DSL100

Robert
November 4th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Here we go again, more Marshall inquiries!

Which would you pick - Marshall Vintage Modern or DSL100?
And tell me, why?

On eBay they both seem to go for 8-900 bux.

Just curious! :D

sunvalleylaw
November 4th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Boy, tough choice. I know nutthink about Marshalls really. I guess the Vintage Modern 2266 because it seems versatile to me, and 100 watts just seems too much and would be overkill for what you do. The DSL 50 vs. the Vintage Modern 2266 might be a tougher choice. I don't know enough to say then.

Tone2TheBone
November 4th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Vintage Modern because it's new.

Otherwise a used Silver Jubilee already sheese...:poke:

SuperSwede
November 5th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Both amphs sound really good! Its a tough decision!

(Sorry that post wasnt very helpful :D )

Jimi75
November 5th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Hello Robert,

I have played both amphs more than one time. I was a little bit disappointed by the results I get from the Vintage Modern so far. I miss the bass foundation and the warmth in the sounds. The panel is kept simple but tweaking in good sounds in unfortunately not. You might know that we rent rehearsal rooms with the band. It's a building with 5 rooms that are differently equipped. Most of the time I play the Valvetronics or either the Marshall 50 DSL. The Marshall is a decent amp. I love the clean it has and the slightly distorted sounds. The amp interacts very very good with the volume poti so you can controle the amph perfectly without having to switch chanels - yes this is something the vintage Modern has been praised for but the DLS does it as good as the VM! Classic rock sounds as well as "screamin' solo" sounds are a piece of cake for this amp. Go for the DSL and you got the entire pallet of sounds that you will ever need!

Jimi

Blaze
November 5th, 2008, 08:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XB0W26ycw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6jxTChhD7w&feature=related

jazzIII
November 5th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Easily the Vintage Modern. at the NAMM show this past year when they first introduced it, Marshall had one of their players in a sound booth just shredding away on all the Marshall models, the Vintage Modern sounded by far the best among them. I've owned a DSL100 and found it nice but not as good as i expected it would be

Guitar-Chris
November 9th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Which would you pick - Marshall Vintage Modern or DSL100?
And tell me, why?

Hm, I wonder if you're a "Marshall-Man" at all. When I listen to your videoclips, I hear that you like clean tones and this breaking-up tone very much. So I would compare your choice, let's say to a Fender Hot Rod Deville 410 or a Vibrolux, and then decide whether you will go for the Marshall sound or something different.

Not to be misunderstood: I like the Marshall Sound very much, but if it comes to a real nice cleantone, I'll go for a Fender.

F_BSurfer
November 9th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I would go for the DSL right now......I have been keeping close tabs on E bay & clist and have seen maybe half dozen go for 700 or less 550 the lowest on Chicago clist. Think economy has a lot to do with it right now

M29
November 9th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Do the Jubilee mahn, do it now:rockon:

sunvalleylaw
November 9th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Not to muddy the waters, but what about a Bassman or Bassman re-issue? Marshalls were inspired by the Bassman as I understand, and it still has that "Fenderness".