PDA

View Full Version : Nice prices, but...

just strum
November 4th, 2008, 07:02 PM
who knows for sure.

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/901548689.html

taken from another site:

He is a former Dell employee who decided a few years back to try to do for guitar marketing what Dell had done for computers. They would buy from the same factories in Korea and China who made the name branded guitars, put their own name on them and sell them over the internet. Didn't work out quite as planned. My guess is that it's because guitars are not commodities; every one is different and you can't feel one over the internet.
He still has an entire house full of guitars, and as far as I know may still be buying them when he runs out of a certain model. His ad is on Craigslist every week or so and the picture on the ad includes two guitars that I know are not there because we bought them. Go to his house, take a friend who plays well, you will find a guitar you like and the price will be right. He has tons of nice electrics under $200.00 that are much nicer than that price leads you to believe. I have debated with myself telling this community about his guitars, but he specifically told me he would rather not do internet business anymore. Probably too time intensive.
What we bought:
I have a very sweet thin hollow body electric that I bought from him for $250.00. I think he had asked for $300.00, but we ended up buying 3 guitars, so he gave us a bit of a discount. When we were there, he had a couple of different quality levels on hand, most of which were in the $100-150 range. There was a difference in sound and feel on the more expensive ($250.00) ones.
Mine is Korean made, a gorgeous burgandy maple top, very nicely finished, Grover tuning machines, double humbuckers, and after setting it up myself, sounds great and has a great feel too. A really fast neck; people who can play fast have told me that. Very Happy The only things I will change are the pots. They work fine, but one is a bit scratchy, not quite perfect, just cheap I suppose.
We also picked up a backup bass for my girlfriend. It's a clear burgandy finish also with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. It's petite and beautiful and looks so sweet on the wall. It's a beast in the hands of someone who can play.
A friend of mine who plays professionally went with us and picked up a wide hollow body electric. It is a beautiful cherry sunburst. He has not been as happy with it. I think he has played mine more than his own. His has single coils and is a bit noisy and a different feel than the one I got.