PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried Brossard picks?

Robert
November 4th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I just ordered a bone and ebony pick. I have heard a lot about these. Maybe I should have ordered a set with more variety, since there are other materials that would be interesting to try.

www.brossardpicks.com

Have you tried Brossard picks and if so, what do you think of them?

I'll let you know what I think once I've tested them.

cobalt
November 7th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Wow how did you decide:thwap:

Robert
November 10th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I just thought bone and ebony sounds like fun! I probably should have ordered a bigger pack with more material options, but oh well.

I find I'm very picky about picks, so I'm looking forward to trying these. The pick makes a big impact on my tone, when I play.

Pick a good pick - be picky! ;)

Plank_Spanker
November 10th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I've been playing the same pics (Dunlop nylon .88's) forever, and I'm constantly scattering them everywhere I go.......................I have a big bag of them (probably several hundred) that I just reach in to grab and go.

I couldn't use a really nice keeper pick - I'd lose it somewhere the first day. :D

just strum
November 10th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I don't buy into the expensive pick theory, like those V picks or whatever the hell they are called. I'd probably buy finger weights (:D )before spending money on expensive picks.

Never read anywhere about any well known guitarist using $15 to $45 picks - If it doesn't do anything for them, it won't do anything for me. I smell a scam when it comes to things like this.

Give me different size Stubby's and I'm happy.

Robert
November 10th, 2008, 05:54 PM
To me, the pick is extremely important. Whether it's 10 cents or 10 bucks is a different issue, but it has to work for me or else I will hate playing with it. I am always looking out for new interesting picks, and these look interesting indeed. The problem with expensive picks is that is sucks to lose them! It's so easy to misplace plectrums. There is no scam with these kinds of picks - they are hand made, not mass-produced - hence the price tag.

The only picks I would ever use at this point is either V-picks or Dunlop Gator 2mm. Any other picks I've tried in the last 10 years are just wrong for me.

just strum
November 10th, 2008, 06:08 PM
The only picks I would ever use at this point is either V-picks or Dunlop Gator 2mm. Any other picks I've tried in the last 10 years are just wrong for me.

And that is fine, I'm just stating my opinion of expensive picks. I think you can find an inexpensive pick ($0.50 to $3.00) that would match any of the expensive picks out there. IMHO of course, but I've proven time and time again I'm never wrong:D

Plank_Spanker
November 10th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I'm not picky about picks at all...................as long as they are Dunlop Nylon .88's.:D

Many years playing them, and they're like an old pair of shoes.

I've seen a recent popularity in boutique picks. If they work for someone, it's all good. I just can't see spending that sort of money on a simple pick........I don't kick myself when I lose one of my Dunlops.

just strum
November 10th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I'm not picky about picks at all...................as long as they are Dunlop Nylon .88's.:D you can have any color car you want, as long as it's black.

........I don't kick myself when I lose one of my Dunlops.

I do, I'm cheap - I lost a few Stubby's and I keep searching for them. Won't go to the music store because it requires fuel. Won't buy them on the web because you have to pay shipping (Sweetwater doesn't carry them).

sunvalleylaw
November 10th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I'm not picky about picks at all...................as long as they are Dunlop Nylon .88's.:D

I've seen a recent popularity in boutique picks. If they work for someone, it's all good. I just can't see spending that sort of money on a simple pick........I don't kick myself when I lose one of my Dunlops.

I have developed a Dunlop .88 habit myself, but Green Tortex. I tried some of the nylon ones, but they just weren't for me. I also like the purple 1.14s for my acoustic, and sometimes on my electrics. But usually the green .88s. I have not tried the Brossards or V-picks. I lose stuff like that too easily.

just strum
November 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Someone sent me a V pick and it just seemed like any other pick that was that thick. It was clear so it got lost real quick. Probably sitting right in front of me, but I can't see it.

Robert
November 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Well Strummy, I have not ever seen a pick made out of bone, rosewood or ebony for $3.00. You probably mean that the cheap picks would work just as well as the expensive picks for some one playing guitar. Maybe, maybe not. That's up to each and everyone to determine I guess since it is so subjective - I would prefer to like the cheap nylon picks, but I just do not like them. That doesn't mean I'm gonna like the expensive ones any better - they could be a waste of money. I'm about to find out soon. :) I do like the Gator 2mm, but I find they wear down very fast. Not really a big problem I guess, since they are cheap. I may just stick with them and buy a huge pile of them and never look back. Time will tell.

And that is fine, I'm just stating my opinion of expensive picks. I think you can find an inexpensive pick ($0.50 to $3.00) that would match any of the expensive picks out there. IMHO of course, but I've proven time and time again I'm never wrong:D

just strum
November 10th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Robert, no different than a guitar, amp, pedal or whatever - It's what you like. And I did mean same material. I have bone material here for making saddles and a strip cost about $2.00. Send me $45 and I will make you a $2.00 pick with a couple dollars of labor thrown in.:D Oh, that's US currency.

Plank_Spanker
November 10th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Looks like you're taking some heat on this Robert...................:D

Robert
November 10th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah, Planker, I guess I'll just shut up and enjoy whatever picks I find. I have no hidden agenda to try and convince anyone here, I was just looking for feedback for those who have tried these picks.

just strum
November 10th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Looks like you're taking some heat on this Robert...................:D

Am I coming off that way? If so, it certainly isn't meant that way. I'm sure Robert or anyone wouldn't agree on everything I buy (except the Fender Strat Deluxe:D)

Robert, please don't take offense to my comments, they are only opinion, nothing more.

Plank_Spanker
November 10th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Yeah, Planker, I guess I'll just shut up and enjoy whatever picks I find. I have no hidden agenda to try and convince anyone here, I was just looking for feedback for those who have tried these picks.

Aw, shucks.......................we argue, but we still love you...............:beer:

sunvalleylaw
November 10th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Robert, I sure hope you didn't take my comment that way. More power to you for your picks. I just am too likely to lose them to buy nice ones. I am sure you get good results with them.

just strum
November 10th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Robert, you can use the pick money towards something like this. I read up on it and then I saw the price - another item too rich for my blood.

http://www.musicgadgets.net/2008/03/11/blackstar-new-artisan-amps/

TS808
November 10th, 2008, 07:12 PM

I agree, give me a Fender Celluloid, either medium or heavy, or a Clayton acetal, and I'm as happy as a pig in mud.

Honestly, I can't see spending that much money on a pick. John Lee Hooker used a freaking quarter and sounded like heaven with his Epiphone Sheraton.

just strum
November 10th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I agree, give me a Fender Celluloid, either medium or heavy, or a Clayton acetal, and I'm as happy as a pig in mud.

TS is serious, I have a pic of him the last time he bought picks.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/pig.jpg

TS808
November 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM
TS is serious, I have a pic of him the last time he bought picks.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/pig.jpg

THAT was great!! :bravo: Made my night. I think that was when I got my hands on one of those Fender Confetti Celluloid picks!! :D

Andy
November 10th, 2008, 09:08 PM
the v picks and others can make a big difference when you get into the shredder's zone, every little detail makes a big difference at that point.
but for the rest of us it's down to preference

Plank_Spanker
November 10th, 2008, 09:18 PM
the v picks and others can make a big difference when you get into the shredder's zone, every little detail makes a big difference at that point.
but for the rest of us it's down to preference

I'm very, very far away from the shredder's zone............:D

marnold
November 10th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I'm very boring WRT picks: Fender medium for guitar and Fender extra heavy for those rare occasions that I use one with a bass. I should really check out some others, particularly the Dunlop Jazz ones. The "problem" with some of the fancier ones is that they don't work very well for those of us who are devoid of an index fingertip. :)

Looking at my "main" Fender medium, it appears that I should invest in a new one. I can't tell which end was the pointy one anymore.

Robert
November 18th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I just got my Brossard picks. They are nice. They have a pointy end, and the jury is still out on how much Robert's likes that feature. He likes more rounded edges. Maybe they can be trimmed down.

They sound mellower than the V-picks, but sharper than my Dunlops. I haven't yet tried them when I'm plugged in to my amp.

just strum
November 19th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I just got my Brossard picks. They are nice. They have a pointy end, and the jury is still out on how much Robert's likes that feature. He likes more rounded edges. Maybe they can be trimmed down.

They sound mellower than the V-picks, but sharper than my Dunlops. I haven't yet tried them when I'm plugged in to my amp.

We are talking in the third person now??? Robert, you need to buy that Suhr and take some pressure off yourself.

warren0728
November 19th, 2008, 11:51 AM
We are talking in the third person now??? Robert, you need to buy that Suhr and take some pressure off yourself.

+1000 :thwap:

Algonquin
November 19th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Like this?...
J0w2xTexfAg

Robert
November 19th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Haha, just checking if anyone is reading my posts! :AOK:

I played some more yesterday, and these picks are nice. Time will tell how much I end up using them, but so far they are fun.

just strum
November 19th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Like this?...
J0w2xTexfAg

I'm at work, so I can't see the clip - I will when I get home.

Robert
November 23rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Played more today, and between my Dunlops, Brossard and V-picks, I've got a good variety of plectrums! One of the Brossard picks is my current favorite. The bone pick is almost to sharp sounding, although it works great for those 80s-flashback-shred-moments I inevitable get once in a while (they stop once I see my lack of hair on my head on my youtube videos). All in all, I will say if you want to try some new quality picks that are different from the common plastic-based picks, give these a try. They are nice.

Another thing, they have a hole drilled through them, so you can attach some sort of lifeline for those of you who lose picks all the time. :)