PDA

View Full Version : Ear Training intervals

Glacies
November 5th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I've started working on this last night. I'm trying to build myself into an actual musician from scratch and it's not easy. I've never had the slightest bit of musical education but I have certainly learned it's value.

Anyway, any tricks for being able to train myself to be able to hear these?

I feel like I can easily do it but I forget what they sound like so quickly.

I'll hear a minor 2, then play it on the guitar and by the time I play it, I forgot what the questionable one sounded like.

ShortBuSX
November 5th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I reckon this could help *shrug*
fretboardwarrior (http://www.francoisbrisson.com/fretboardwarrior/fretboard/fretboard.html)
I kill lots of time at work with this...its added to my favorites.

A looper(or phrase trainer) could also help.

Robert
November 5th, 2008, 08:41 AM
They only way you can do it is by repetition. Work on it consistently as much as you can. Over time, it will become easy. Also, work on transcribing tunes, chords, solos, anything that will help you apply what you are learning from ear training.

sumitomo
November 5th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Protect your hearing.Sounds stupid but my hearing is going south from different jobs I've had and the damage did not show up for many many years.Sumi:D

jazzIII
November 5th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I would agree that trying to transcribe tunes is the best and quickest way to train your ear. Over the years your ear can pick up any note and most chords on the fretboard just from playing time alone but transcribing is a good way to put it to the test, i guess just start slow so you don't get frustrated