PDA

View Full Version : My first 5 way super switch

kiteman
November 5th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Few days ago the 5 way switch on my Carvin bolt kit started acting up. My guitar sounded bad in pos 3 that when I wiggle it it cuts in and out. Then it quit working in pos 3 and the other positions started sounding crappy. It was the import type and I wanted to replace it with a super switch.

Yesterday I got the super switch and browsed the net for wiring it up. Wow, look at all the possibilities for wiring up your guitar. I ended up wiring mine like this:

1 - bridge
2 - bridge-mid
3 - bridge-neck
4 - neck-mid
5 - neck

I have an HSH setup on my Carvin and after I worked on it it became louder, seems that the old switch was a real POS that robbed my tone.

All that time I thought I needed tubes for my amp though they are rather old. :thwap:

In the future I might rewire where pos 2 and 4 will split the humbucks to work with the mid (single) that they'd be hum canceling.

I must say that the super switch is so cool. :AOK:

tunghaichuan
November 5th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Since I never use the middle PU by itself, having the neck and bridge for the middle position would be great. Where'd you get the switch? URL?

tung

Few days ago the 5 way switch on my Carvin bolt kit started acting up. My guitar sounded bad in pos 3 that when I wiggle it it cuts in and out. Then it quit working in pos 3 and the other positions started sounding crappy. It was the import type and I wanted to replace it with a super switch.

Yesterday I got the super switch and browsed the net for wiring it up. Wow, look at all the possibilities for wiring up your guitar. I ended up wiring mine like this:

1 - bridge
2 - bridge-mid
3 - bridge-neck
4 - neck-mid
5 - neck

I have an HSH setup on my Carvin and after I worked on it it became louder, seems that the old switch was a real POS that robbed my tone.

All that time I thought I needed tubes for my amp though they are rather old. :thwap:

In the future I might rewire where pos 2 and 4 will split the humbucks to work with the mid (single) that they'd be hum canceling.

I must say that the super switch is so cool. :AOK:

ShortBuSX
November 5th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Since I never use the middle PU by itself, having the neck and bridge for the middle position would be great. Where'd you get the switch? URL?

Ive looked into this for a minute...from what Ive gathered a switch like this (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/1/Megaswitches.html) would work.

I think Im leaning more towards a blender, but havent ruled out a switch instead.

kiteman
November 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Ive looked into this for a minute...from what Ive gathered a switch like this (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/1/Megaswitches.html) would work.

I think Im leaning more towards a blender, but havent ruled out a switch instead.

That certainly is a switch to have. Instead of "in-betweens" they are actually separate positions. I could've used that switch alright. :)

The switch I bought was from my local music shop and it was labeled under Fender saying standard stratocaster 5-way super switch. It has 4 poles and 5 positions each. Lots of possibilities with this switch.

If it helps the part # is 099-2251-000

tunghaichuan
November 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks to kiteman and ShortbuSX, those both look like winning suggestions. :AOK:

tung

That certainly is a switch to have. Instead of "in-betweens" they are actually separate positions. I could've used that switch alright. :)

The switch I bought was from my local music shop and it was labeled under Fender saying standard stratocaster 5-way super switch. It has 4 poles and 5 positions each. Lots of possibilities with this switch.

If it helps the part # is 099-2251-000

ShortBuSX
November 5th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks to kiteman and ShortbuSX, those both look like winning suggestions. :AOK:

tung

No problem.
Im kinda like you, Im growing ill of my middle pup now that I moved it off the tone pot, kinda like I was about that bridge pickup....Im gonna do a jumper and put em both on the same tone pot, but if that dont work that switch is my next step...or a blender...or both...I dunno.
But I am digging the idea of those switching options on a SSS strat! :AOK:

http://www.stewmac.com/catalog/product_detail/3484_detail.gif