PDA

View Full Version : The Pretenders - Breaking Up the Concrete

sunvalleylaw
November 7th, 2008, 11:19 AM
New album for Chrissie and her band. I have always had a bit of a thing for Chrissie. She just has that something. I don't know how good this album is yet, I am just putting it on now, but you can listen for free here at The Pretenders' site.

http://www.thepretenders.com/

EDIT: Just listening to the first track "Chinese Plastic" and it she is delivering that roots rock with punkish attitude, and her vocals are as good as ever. Delivered with a bit of a snarl as always. Sounds good so far! :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
November 7th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I listened to some more and there are some good tele sounds, some of it almost twangy, and a mixed bag between louder rock sounds and more mellow stuff. Nice to be able to listen for free though. I have not decided if I will buy it yet. I will get at least a few tracks. Very vintage rock classic sounds that remind me of their earlier stuff.

Found this vid linked there too.

RxSZlBHCUH0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxSZlBHCUH0

just strum
November 7th, 2008, 05:38 PM
One of the best bands - period. Chrisse was born and raised about 25 miles south of here. We actually frequented some of the same bars in Cleveland. Seeing that she is just three years older than me, our paths may have crossed, but sadly I can say I never met her.

evenkeel
November 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Listened to all the 30 sec. clips. Really good stuff. Some of the tunes had a "Brass in Pocket" kind of sound, others more "Hymn to Her". Nice balance.

I saw the Pretenders in Vegas in the mid '90's. Along with, the B-52's. Pretenders still had IT, the B-52's not so much.

Andy
November 7th, 2008, 07:16 PM
One thing for sure,she always picked great guitar players.

just strum
November 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM
From 1981 on the show "Friday's" (does anyone remember that show?)

hicSuUyYbPs

sumitomo
November 7th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Always liked them,can't forget em' after that chain gang song.Sumi:D

aeolian
November 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I listened on line and can't say that the songs made any lasting impression on me (I may be distracted since I'm working while listening). I do have to tell you that I am a big Pretenders fan, so don't jump all over me. In fact I think Chrissie Hynde is a vastly underrated songwriter.

sunvalleylaw
November 10th, 2008, 10:30 AM
It might be a "grow on you" album for me, and only one or two tracks stood out the first listen through for me too. But I did like the mix sound (pretty bare and unproduced), guitar sounds and always Chrissie's voice.

Algonquin
November 10th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I've always loved the Pretenders too! Chrissie is timeless.