PDA

View Full Version : One of those nights last night

Glacies
November 7th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I'm still a beginner, but last night I had one of those nights where a bunch of stuff I've been learning came together, and the fretboard just seemed to play itself. Even managed to sing a bit, play while reading new material, and also managed to get a few good improvs in too.

Hopefully I can keep up this pace. Just thought I'd share.

warren0728
November 7th, 2008, 11:39 AM
excellent glacies! :beer:

i need to play more and maybe that will happen to me....

evenkeel
November 7th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Terrific!!!

Even after plunking away for 40+ years the learning cycle still surprises. I'll futz away for ages going nowhere, then (sometimes anyway) it just happens. Sometimes putting something aside does the trick.

Whatever, good on ya!!! :beer: :bravo: :AOK:

Robert
November 7th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Good to hear! Sticking to it will pay off sooner or later.

Jimi75
November 7th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Congrats! In the beginning you experience progress in a very strong and obvious way. Later on it will be only small steps...but that is years later...

street music
November 7th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Congrats that is great news, I've been working on a few Beatles songs of late and do have a couple of them sounding fair.

oldguy
November 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Glad to hear it, Glacies.:AOK:
Nights like those are lots more fun than numbing your brain w/ television.
Congrats, and keep on playing that guitar!:beer:

M29
November 7th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Awesome I love it when that happens, Congrats:AOK:

Plank_Spanker
November 7th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I'm still a beginner, but last night I had one of those nights where a bunch of stuff I've been learning came together, and the fretboard just seemed to play itself. Even managed to sing a bit, play while reading new material, and also managed to get a few good improvs in too.

I'm not a beginner, but I still experience and treasure those nights - the notes and chords roll off the guitar and magic is in the air.......................

It's the payoff for all of those days spent beating yourself up learning and practicing.................the icing on the cake.

It's what keeps you motivated to play year after year. You build on those moments and seek them out.

Yeah - over thirty years of playing and I still have those moments................and I hope they never leave me. :rockon:

You have sipped from The Grail, Glacies. Let that taste keep your fire burning as it has mine.

just strum
November 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM

It's called "The Zone" and it is a wonderful place to be. I remember the first time it happened to me - the outside world was completely shut off. It was where every thing that I was learning at the time came together and there was a sense of ease and confidence in what I was playing.

Once the fifth of Jack Daniels was gone, it went away.

Just kidding, The Zone is a great place to be.

cobalt
November 7th, 2008, 10:56 PM
That's great! Just reading that fired me up. Keep it up.

kiteman
November 9th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I've had several of those moments and I still can't explain it. It's wonderful when it happens but very strange.

I think you'd just have to be in a right mood for it to happen. I'd swear in my case the guitar was playing itself and riffs flowing off without even thinking about it. Stuff I didn't know I could play.

It's like a trance, very strange indeed.

I'm looking forward to the next one. :rockon: