PDA

View Full Version : Pedal question

cobalt
November 7th, 2008, 10:14 PM
This goes out to all you pedal guys. If you could only have one pedal which would it be and why? I'm asking to learn. I don't use any pedals. I just realized I posted this in the wrong section sorry.

just strum
November 7th, 2008, 10:17 PM
This goes out to all you pedal guys. If you could only have one pedal which would it be and why? I'm asking to learn. I don't use any pedals.

What level would you consider your playing skills? How long have you been playing?

Spudman
November 7th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Simple - Line 6 M13. Best bang for buck.

Now if you have a certain price range that we need to stay within then that might be more interesting.

So in the $300 to $500 category I'd say the Line 6 M13.

Should we say under $100 what one pedal would we choose?

markb
November 7th, 2008, 10:39 PM
This used to be the only pedal I used when I played through a Fender Vibrolux

http://www.ratdistortion.com/i/history_vint_rat.jpg

Now I have an amp with a good sounding overdrive channel it's this one

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/com/FS-5L/images/top_M.jpg

Most of the time that is. Some gigs called for more effects, usually a chorus and a delay.

Andy
November 8th, 2008, 08:42 AM
you can get overdrive from the amp, so I would consider the most essential pedal a delay. It can simply make a guitar sound much richer , to slapback , to reverb-like tone, to lead soloing delay,all the way to Edge and Brian May repeating notes.

just strum
November 8th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Simple - Line 6 M13. Best bang for buck.

So in the $300 to $500 category I'd say the Line 6 M13.

You're talking $500 for the Line 6 M13http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/yikes.gifhttp://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/yikes.gifhttp://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/yikes.gif. - what bang are you getting for the buck that the Digitech RP series or Boss M50 wouldn't be able to do at around $150 to $200? I'm sure it would or should do more, but $300+ more?

Note: I am comparing used RP350 and M50 pricing to new Line 6 M13 pricing.

Robert
November 8th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I'd get a cheap but good distortion pedal, like a Digitech Hot Head, Cool Cat Distortion or similar.

sunvalleylaw
November 8th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Cobalt, I have said it before and will say it again, if I had just one, it would likely be the Digitech Bad Monkey. Great, versatile overdrive/TS9 clone that can be found used for around $25-$30 shipped. Great bang for the buck. I have to say though, that DVM's Rabid Rodent has been making a strong case for #1 because of it's versatility, giving me 3 distortion settings and 3 overdrive settings. It is a bigger investment, but I think very much worth it.

If I was starting from scratch, however, I would give that Line 6 M13 unit Spud just got a very serious look. Get that, and add on whatever Wah type expression pedal you want and you could have it all the way covered. If you are going the individual pedals route, which is just so much fun, I stand by my choices.

just strum
November 8th, 2008, 09:38 AM
By the time this thread fizzles out, you should be down to 40 to 50 choices and that will make the decision so much easier:poke:

http://www.digitech.com/products/Multi-Effects/Flash_Demo/RP350Demo/RP350Demo.php

R.B. Huckleberry
November 8th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Depends on your needs. I play with a very dry tone, so I keep OD/Distortion pedals around only because it isn't practical to wind up my ap to the sweet spot...which is loud...all teh time.

I thought 18 watts would be tame. LOL!

cobalt
November 9th, 2008, 12:49 AM
just strum, I would consider myself advanced. I have been playing for 37 years. (Wow has it been that long) I started in jazz and moved to the blues. I am currently reassessing my tone and dealing with new volume limits. So all of your input is much appreciated.

just strum
November 9th, 2008, 08:13 AM
just strum, I would consider myself advanced. I have been playing for 37 years. (Wow has it been that long) I started in jazz and moved to the blues. I am currently reassessing my tone and dealing with new volume limits. So all of your input is much appreciated.

Ok, then I drop my suggestions and would focus on individual pedals. I am assuming after 37 years (wow) you would have some sort of idea what sound you are looking for. Is there an example of something you would like to achieve?

hubberjub
November 9th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Let us not overlook the obvious choice. One that makes both the performer and the listener happy.
http://www.guitariste.com/forums/photos/47375-1-big.jpg

just strum
November 9th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I can't make it out, the pics too small.

Spudman
November 9th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I can't make it out, the pics too small.

It's a tuner dufus. Didn't your folks tell you to stop before you go completely blind? :D

just strum
November 9th, 2008, 11:57 AM
It's a tuner dufus. Didn't your folks tell you to stop before you go completely blind? :D

Yes, but they waited until it was too late.:whatever:

marnold
November 9th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Tuning is overrated.

M29
November 9th, 2008, 08:19 PM
You guys crack me up:rotflmao:

oldguy
November 9th, 2008, 10:05 PM
This goes out to all you pedal guys. If you could only have one pedal which would it be and why? I'm asking to learn. I don't use any pedals. I just realized I posted this in the wrong section sorry.

Delay........currently a Digitech Digidelay. But only 'cause the OD channel on the amp I'm playing now doesn't need a boost. Plus I'm eccentric.........and a tightwad........:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

cobalt
November 10th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Ok, then I drop my suggestions and would focus on individual pedals. I am assuming after 37 years (wow) you would have some sort of idea what sound you are looking for. Is there an example of something you would like to achieve?
As I mentioned in my post I am reassessing my tone. I am currently looking to get my tone which is just a nice warm woman tone at lower levels. The Weber looks like a good idea, but your missing the point to question. I know why I use what I use. I'm asking why you use what you use. By you telling me your favorite pedal I could learn how people get their tone,what works and dose not work, and why some people have to have a huge pedal board in order to play. I have spent most of my life using the controls on my guitar and amp to get everything I need. So it's a little overwelming to me too see the size of some of the rigs people play with. Like I said, I'm just trying to learn.

oldguy
November 10th, 2008, 04:45 PM
As I mentioned in my post I am reassessing my tone. I am currently looking to get my tone which is just a nice warm woman tone at lower levels. The Weber looks like a good idea, but your missing the point to question. I know why I use what I use. I'm asking why you use what you use. By you telling me your favorite pedal I could learn how people get their tone,what works and dose not work, and why some people have to have a huge pedal board in order to play. I have spent most of my life using the controls on my guitar and amp to get everything I need. So it's a little overwelming to me too see the size of some of the rigs people play with. Like I said, I'm just trying to learn.

Cobalt, that's why I use the Digidelay for a little echo, and usually not much else. If I use an amph w/ reverb I may forego the delay also. I do enjoy some effects on certain songs (some need them if you're doing covers), but I generally want to hear the guitar and amph first and foremost, cranked and letting me hear my fingers on the strings (whether good or bad). If I use lots of effects, esp. full on distortion, I tend to get lazy, letting the effects compensate for sloppy playing.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it..........or not.:D

Andy
November 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I'll stick with the delay reccomendation, I has to be the most essential basic keystone effect used in any music recording in history.

I'm not talking about huge repeating note stuff(tho thats one use for it) I'm talking about for opening up the overall sound.
there is probably very few recordings ever made that didn't use delay in some form or fashion.even tho you may not notice it , if it were turned off you would hear the difference.

It's far more essential to all styles of music than ,flange,phase,distortion, ect...and that also includes for vocals ,keys ,bass ect..

I would atleast consider it one of the top essential needs.

sunvalleylaw
November 11th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I'll stick with the delay reccomendation, I has to be the most essential basic keystone effect used in any music recording in history.

I'm not talking about huge repeating note stuff(tho thats one use for it) I'm talking about for opening up the overall sound.
there is probably very few recordings ever made that didn't use delay in some form or fashion.even tho you may not notice it , if it were turned off you would hear the difference.

It's far more essential to all styles of music than ,flange,phase,distortion, ect...and that also includes for vocals ,keys ,bass ect..

I would atleast consider it one of the top essential needs.

Cobalt, that's why I use the Digidelay for a little echo, and usually not much else. If I use an amph w/ reverb I may forego the delay also. I do enjoy some effects on certain songs (some need them if you're doing covers), but I generally want to hear the guitar and amph first and foremost, cranked and letting me hear my fingers on the strings (whether good or bad). If I use lots of effects, esp. full on distortion, I tend to get lazy, letting the effects compensate for sloppy playing.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it..........or not.:D

The only delay I own is in my multi-pedal and I have not used it that way, relying on the reverb in my C-30 for that. Is there a significant difference in using a delay instead? I have recently become aware of several good players (local, and national recording acts) that use two delays, one for a kind of slapback, and one for the echoing type effects they want on certain leads, etc. I guess a reverb fades off differently than a delay, but Andy or OG, could you elaborate?

Andy
November 11th, 2008, 08:28 AM
to me reverb kinda fits in the delay category. it's all about echo.
echo ,reverb,delay came about long ago to emulate the sound of a live performance.
without some form of delay music would be a very dry and barren place
so I think if you had overdrive from your amp the next step is some form of delay (unless the amp has reverb built in).

although if you were playing in a large hall you probably wouldn't need it.
think of the opening guitar to the beatles "I feel fine" and imagine it without any effect...it would be dead. it's very suttle but with out it it would sound very different and lifeless.

I think alot of people imagine huge echoing repeats when someone mentions delay but thats not really the importance of it , it's the richness it gives whan used in a in a suttle way. so important to music in general

markb
November 11th, 2008, 01:56 PM
A good reverb "wraps" the tone in soft ambience and, while you can get close with a delay pedal there will always be an "edge" to the repeats. If your amp has a good reverb tank I'd use that for the ambient stuff and dedicate a delay pedal to more of an "effect". Plus you can get that Dick Dale "drippy" sound with springs. I've never found a delay pedal that can match that tone (should you want to, of course). The first delay I ever used was a WEM Copicat tape echo, it had a setting labeled "halo" that was a faux reverb as well as buttons to turn the heads on or off to control the repeats.

marnold
November 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM
After further review, I'm sticking with what I was going to say originally: a Tube Screamer or similar (like my TO800). A little dirt for that bluesy SRV tone or volume dimed to push my amp to "11" or for a solo boost. The mid-range hump helps you cut through the mix too.