PDA

View Full Version : How would you discribe your tone and...

cobalt
November 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM
How do you get it? I prefer a nice warm somewhat over driven tube tone Ala Jimmy Page. I get my tone by using My Hag and my Fender Gdec Jr. I haven't reached my dream tone yet but I'm getting closer. The Hag was a big step in the right direction. Speaking of Jimmy Page although he is known for playing a Les Paul did you know he recorded all of Led Zeps first album with a Tele? Talk about tone!!

Tone2TheBone
November 7th, 2008, 10:52 PM
The Tele is one heck of a versatile instrument and Jimmy Page is one of my heros you got good taste cobalt! Keep at it and you'll find your tone.

sunvalleylaw
November 8th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I am still really a newb, so I am not sure I have found "my tone" per se. I would say that it mostly has been thus far a warmly overdriven strat, typically on the neck pickup. Sometimes I like to add on some more hair/distortion/fuzz. That sound is my strat, with the tex mex pups, clean into the C-30, then add the Bad Monkey for the warm overdrive, then add the Rabid Rodent DVM gave me for distortion (or replace the Bad Monkey with it) and sometimes turn on the Big Muff fuzz. In my head, I guess I am shooting for a range that runs between Mayer and Santana. I also like to find vintage punk sounds on my strat.

My new Hagstrom is giving me a whole other palette of choices. So far, I prefer the clean bluesy sound there too. I like it clean into the amp, and sometimes like to add a clean boost. But I need to learn more about adding overdrive/distortion/hair on that guitar too. It will come. I would like to get a Warren Haynes sound, and maybe a Setzer sound, and just some bad a$$ rock sounds dialed in, and learn to let that guitar's feedback howl at my command.

So I guess I want more than one tone. My tones will likely always be related "vintage" sounding tones I suppose.

tot_Ou_tard
November 9th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I'm not looking to get anybody's tone in particular. What I do love is big, sweet, rich, & dimensional cleans with overtones & shimmer. I want the low strings to sound like funky bass strings & the top end to be sweet & shimmery. Perfection would be that plus a gradual, smooth & warm transition into overdrive.

Send me your amp that does this at basement-level playing. Thanks ;)

kiteman
November 9th, 2008, 08:36 PM
What is tone? I think it's for the moment.

Tomorrow it may be different. I have two guitars, two amps (one a bass combo) and a well used adrenalinn box. For the moment, one of the guitars and one of the amps will appeal to me.

just strum
November 9th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I'm with Kite. What is "My tone"? It changes with guitars, amps, settings of pedals and amp....

I'm not looking to sound like someone, just like certain sounds that I can make. I have favorite settings on my RP for each guitar and some settings that suit all the guitars.

oldguy
November 9th, 2008, 09:00 PM
:)
How do you get it? I prefer a nice warm somewhat over driven tube tone Ala Jimmy Page. I get my tone by using My Hag and my Fender Gdec Jr. I haven't reached my dream tone yet but I'm getting closer. The Hag was a big step in the right direction. Speaking of Jimmy Page although he is known for playing a Les Paul did you know he recorded all of Led Zeps first album with a Tele? Talk about tone!!

I can only give you a fat old overworked construction worker's opinion.
Keep playing, tweak the knobs on your amp, and go with your instincts.
The standard amphs and guitars are popular for a reason.......they sound good. Move around and listen 10-20 feet in front of your amph as you play......the sound will change.
And, you already have the Page thing in mind,so you've got a good ear, and I'd say you're already on your way to finding your own tone........and it'll be great............just keep playing, you'll only improve.........

My tone would best be described as "minimal", I think.:rotflmao:

kiteman
November 9th, 2008, 09:50 PM
By the way cobalt I still have my gdec jr. I have better gear now but I can't part with that fun little box. Too many memories.. sigh.

cobalt
November 10th, 2008, 08:14 PM
By the way cobalt I still have my GDEC Jr. I have better gear now but I can't part with that fun little box. Too many memories.. sigh.
The Gdec is good for what it is. I really like the backing tracks.

Plank_Spanker
November 10th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I really don't have a "signature tone". I play in a cover band with two amps - one a modeler.................I guess that makes me a chameleon.

I do have certain sounds I like, but I'd be hard pressed to define a signature tone. I play what sounds right.

Andy
November 10th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I have my own style but can't say I have a specific tone

Algonquin
November 10th, 2008, 09:07 PM
My tone? Are nails down a chalkboard considered a tone :confused:

oldguy
November 10th, 2008, 09:12 PM

STOP IT!!!

:D :D :D

SuperSwede
November 11th, 2008, 02:00 AM

*ahem* ever heard the band Velvet Underground? :D

cobalt
November 11th, 2008, 02:52 AM
You guys crack me up! I'm glad I found this place! Thanks for all the great replies.

R_of_G
November 11th, 2008, 06:50 AM
My tone? Are nails down a chalkboard considered a tone

*ahem* ever heard the band Velvet Underground?

I can think of many tones that Lou Reed and Sterling Morrison used that I would be thrilled to be able to emulate.

ZMAN
November 11th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I knew I had "found" the tone I wanted when a good friend loaned me his 65 Deluxe reverb Reissue. I plugged in my Gibby Les Paul and my pedal board and the first note was sheer beauty. I loaned it for about a month and then when he took it back I went directly out and bought one for myself. I use a Fulltone Fulldrive II with a Boss DS1 and I sometimes use my fat boost and If I want really clean OD I use my OCD.
The blues tones I get are amazing. I still use my Blues Deluxe Reissue, and my Blues Junior Special edition but not as often as the 65.

R_of_G
November 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Like some of the others, I don't have a specific singular tone. It depends a lot on which guitar I am playing and what the musical situation is. The fun for me comes in exploring any number of tones and then finding an appropriate way to play for each of them.

Plank_Spanker
November 11th, 2008, 11:27 AM
The fun for me comes in exploring any number of tones and then finding an appropriate way to play for each of them.

I like to experiment, also. I've discovered some cool sounds by accident.

kiteman
November 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Like some of the others, I don't have a specific singular tone. It depends a lot on which guitar I am playing and what the musical situation is. The fun for me comes in exploring any number of tones and then finding an appropriate way to play for each of them.

that sums it up about me. I like many genres and they have their own tone. I see 'em as moods and they're bright, happy, blue, sad, etc. The tone will befitted to the mood.

R_of_G
November 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I like to experiment, also. I've discovered some cool sounds by accident.

Absolutely. Some of the more interesting tones I've found were the results of failed attempts to find other tones.

marnold
November 11th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Unfortunately, I think my tone would have to be spelled "toan."

Robert
November 11th, 2008, 04:59 PM
My tone is "single coil with a bit of gain". Using tube amps and a dirt pedal of some sort.

hubberjub
November 11th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I mainly make noises. My straight up tone is pretty clean. Just on the edge of overdrive.

warren0728
November 11th, 2008, 05:07 PM
My tone is "single coil with a bit of gain".
mine would be more like p90s with a bunch of pain.... :thwap:

Robert
November 11th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Pain? Did some hot cooking oil splatter onto some sensitive body parts when you were making flapjacks this morning? :D

mine would be more like p90s with a bunch of pain.... :thwap:

warren0728
November 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Pain? Did some hot cooking oil splatter onto some sensitive body parts when you were making flapjacks this morning? :D
i didn't have pancakes this morning.... :pancake: :bootyshake:

but my playing still made people feel pain.... :thwap:

sumitomo
November 11th, 2008, 05:35 PM
That means your playing the blues son.Sumi:D

Brian Krashpad
November 20th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I use all kinds of different guitars with a fairly wide range of pickups, most everything short of high-powered actives like EMG's; including Teles, Strats, alnico to ceramic humbuckers, P-90's, and a batch of other funky single-coils (Ric Hi-Gains, DeArmond 2000's, alnico toasters). At this point I pretty much only use tube amps for guitar. If I am using a master-volume amp I tend to use that for distortion, if I use a non-master volume tube amp (like my Fender and Sunn) then I'll use a pedal for dirt. Other than distortion or overdrive, I rarely use effects.

Oddly, no matter what guitar or amp I use, I tend to come out sounding like me anyhow.

R_of_G
November 20th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Oddly, no matter what guitar or amp I use, I tend to come out sounding like me anyhow.

Demonstrating once more my belief that much more of a player's tone is derived from the player's technique than it is from the equipment he/she uses.

kiteman
November 20th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Demonstrating once more my belief that much more of a player's tone is derived from the player's technique than it is from the equipment he/she uses.

I'd call it our trademarks. :rockon:

Brian Krashpad
November 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM

I think that's a big part of it. The other thing, with me anyhow, is that, probably without realizing it, I know what sounds good to me, and I adjust amps accordingly, really without even thinking about it.

It's not like I have specific settings where I can do something like think, "well tonight I'm using an open-back 2x12 rather than a closed-back ported 1x15, therefore I'll change the settings from one to the other by doing xyz," but since I just set stuff by ear, it tends to all end up sounding as similar as possible without me really thinking about it.

kerc
November 28th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I have no idea...P90's thru a Fender Blackface circuit...

cherokee747
November 30th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Fender Strat- Blackface Bassman- Dab of Tubescreamer. Think Kid Ramos, Greasy Kid's Stuff tone.:rolleyes: Mike

Katastrophe
November 30th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I'd like to think that "my tone" is a combination of whatevers going on with my head, heart and hands at the time I'm playing, regardless of guitar or amph.

I adjust the tools accordingly, and go from there.

I will now go to another area of the house and continue to be all "new agey."

:D

Ro3b
December 1st, 2008, 04:00 PM
Clear and bright, like the sound of jackboots on wet cobblestones.

oldguy
December 1st, 2008, 08:40 PM
I'd like to think that "my tone" is a combination of whatevers going on with my head, heart and hands at the time I'm playing, regardless of guitar or amph.

I adjust the tools accordingly, and go from there.

I will now go to another area of the house and continue to be all "new agey."

:D

Good description...........I'm the same w/ my playing....."tone"......whatever you want to label it. Plus it depends on how much time you have to dial in "your tone".

markb
December 1st, 2008, 09:01 PM
Fender into Fender with something a little Marshally for overdrives (TS types, RATs). I sound nothing like SRV, if that's your idea of that combo. If given a non-Fender amp I immediately try to make it sound like one viz. what Brian said above.

stingx
December 1st, 2008, 09:21 PM
If groove is in the heart then where is tone?

Robert
December 1st, 2008, 11:19 PM
Tone is in the gut. Just don't puke it out! :D

Spudman
December 1st, 2008, 11:28 PM
If groove is in the heart then where is tone?
New Mexico :D

Tone doesn't reside. It manifests as called.

Jimi75
December 2nd, 2008, 03:09 AM
90% of the time I play clean, maybe very slightly overdriven with the help of a pedal. I prefer warm cleans.