PDA

View Full Version : Squier 20th Anniversary Standard Strat

Spudman
June 12th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I'm making an appointment with my therapist tomorrow first thing, but before I do and deal with my G.A.S. problem I'd like to share the 20th Anniversary Squier Strat with you.

I found this used from an online reputable instrument seller for less than half its suggested retail price. The guitar came double boxed with peanut foam packaging to absorb the shock between the boxes. It also came with a cord and tremolo bar.

I must say that right off the bat I'm pretty impressed with this Indonesian built Strat. The body is standard thickness same as my Mexican Strat. The switch seems sturdy enough to last a while and so does the rest of the hardware. 2 point tremolo with block saddles, 70's large headstock(the Squier site says "60's headstock" but I don't think that is correct. Is it?), maple 22 fret one piece neck with skunk stripe and standard tremolo cover and zinc (I think) tremolo block. The reason I mentioned the tremolo cover is a standard is because the Chinese Special Edition Squier Strats have a tremolo cover that allows spring adjustment without removal. Those have 2 long holes in the cover. The fretboard is a 9.5" radius and feels great. And of course it comes with the standard alnico pickups. The strings line up well with all 3 pickups pole pieces.

The tuners are about the only thing I'm not crazy about, but I haven't really tested them completely yet. I also haven't taken the pickguard off yet to say what is underneath.

The finish on this one is a really nice, deep candy apple red on what I'm told is an Agathis body. On the back is a 20th Anniversary neck plate apparently made in 2002. Of the reviews for what is supposed to be this guitar, most of the people say it has 21 frets so I'm not sure who knows what.
This is on the Squier website guitar specification chart: Product Prices, Features And Specifications Are Subject To Change Without Notice. That could be a reason along with 2 different countries making this model. This one has the gold Squier letters and others have black. It's confusing to me.

The sound is quite good. Totally Strat-like in all positions with good resonance and projection unplugged. The nut is cut right and accepts 10-46 strings. The frets are medium jumbo and are much bigger than my early 90's Mexican Strat. Feels good too and the action is just right with no buzzes.

Since it came to me used I can't really speak for what it was like brand new. Right now it is set up very well with no neck/fret problems what so ever and it plays real easy at A440.

I'll be giving it a workout in the weeks to come and will add to this post as I discover all its nuances. Yet for now I will have to say that the Squier Standard Series guitars are a very good for those on a budget.

tremoloman
June 16th, 2006, 04:42 PM
So how's the guitar now? How much did you happen to pay for it in full if you don't mind me asking?

I've got major GAS and I'm heading down to Guitar Center this weekend to look at the Satin Squier and this puppy. I need a spare guitar to leave at my parents summer house and this looks like a great choice.

Spudman
June 17th, 2006, 09:50 AM
I tightened the screws on the end of the tuners and it's holding a tune very well. I've been playing the shi* out of it too. Wonderful little guitar. The maple neck really gets a nice bright spanky sound. More so than the Special Edition Squiers with the rosewood fret boards. The quack positions are quiet and the pickups sound really good. Not custom shop good but good enough.
The neck is pretty narrow near the nut which isn't a problem for me but someone with big hands might not like it. The neck shape is also a little flatter than the Special Editions. It still chords well and doesn't choke on bends.

For some reason, and I don't know why, it plays "looser" than my other Strats. The strings feel more slinky and it's easier to play because of it.

Squier uses several body woods so play and listen to see if it's what you'll like. I think the satins use basswood. My Special Editions are alder and the new one is agathis. This is my first agathis guitar and I'm pleasantly surprised by the tone of it.

Trem. I'll bet you that if you get one you won't be leaving it at your parents house.:)

Katastrophe
June 17th, 2006, 10:07 AM
I was gonna ask you about the agathis used in the body wood of these guitars. It seems a lot of budget oriented models are going to agathis bodies these days.

Is the guitar as resonant as the other Squiers in your collection? How about weight? Overall tone?

BTW, my Ibanez is basswood. Aside from being a bit ding prone, basswood is an excellent tonewood IMO. The good news is that it's kinda fallen out of fashion amongst some guitarists, so it's cheaper!

SuperSwede
June 17th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Looks like a real nice strat spud! Dang I would like one of those with a maple neck!

Spudman
June 17th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Kat.
It seems to project acoustically better than the alder guitars. Sustain is about the same. It's heavier than the alder guitars maybe by 3/4 to 1 pound. Agathis is supposed to just be an Asian mahogany.

The natural sound is pretty lively. I haven't taken the pick guard off yet to see the controls so I don't know what the pot values are. It is very bright and clean when the volume is wide open almost like a 'no load' system. When I turn the volume down slightly it darkens up like the 51's do. Not as bright but still pretty clear.

I hear the maple necks on the Affinity series can be pretty good to. I don't think you can find those with the skunk stripe or 22 frets though.

Tinky-Winky
August 11th, 2006, 07:47 AM
I've discovered that agathis is a coniferous plant that is like a knot free pine, which does not resonate well. Therefore, at least theoretically, it should not sound so great when used in a guitar. However, the reports on this forum suggest that it has good resonance, and that it makes a good wood for stratocasters. I am wondering however if the normal agathis standard is tonally behind the satin (basswood) squier.

EDIT: I have discovered that this wood should possess a dark sound (possibly linking it to mahogany - the two are however not related), and therefore am wondering if anyone has noticed this.

Tone2TheBone
March 8th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Maple neck...mmmhmm...yup sounds about right. ;)

ShortBuSX
March 8th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I've got major GAS and I'm heading down to Guitar Center this weekend to look at the Satin Squier and this puppy.

My walnut satin HSS strat is made of Mahogony...and the humbucker had a minor wiring issue, but was well worth the $100 I paid.

Agathis is supposed to just be an Asian mahogany.

I was under the impression it was an Indonesian rain forrest tree...my walnut Tele is Agathis...I like the tone ALOT!

Can you post any pics of this new beaut?

Spudman
March 8th, 2007, 09:04 PM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/guitars016.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/koreansquier023.jpg

sunvalleylaw
March 8th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Hey, way cool. It might be fun when I get around to having an "extra" strat, to get one like that in a HH setup! Bring yours over so we can have share some strat "therapy".

M29
March 9th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Hello,

I have a full thickness Chinese Strat that is advertised as agathis and It does sound a tad darker then a alder or ash strat but that is not a bad thing just a little different and still with the Strat sound. I like it.
When I play it without an amp I can tell the agathis seems to resonate more then alder or ash.

M29

sunvalleylaw
March 9th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Hello,

I have a full thickness Chinese Strat that is advertised as agathis and It does sound a tad darker then a alder or ash strat but that is not a bad thing just a little different and still with the Strat sound. I like it.
When I play it without an amp I can tell the agathis seems to resonate more then alder or ash.

M29

So I think a strat like that, set up double fat, with cool wiring mods for many tone choices, would be really cool. The little darker sound seems like it could fit well with a double fat set up. A rosewood fretboard might be cool along with it. A nice contrast to my bright, chimey 60th std. Strat. :D

Spudman
March 9th, 2007, 02:08 PM
So I think a strat like that, set up double fat, with cool wiring mods for many tone choices, would be really cool. The little darker sound seems like it could fit well with a double fat set up. A rosewood fretboard might be cool along with it. A nice contrast to my bright, chimy 60th std. Strat. :D

See the "my blue guitar thread." The Aria is exactly what you describe.