PDA

View Full Version : Digital Pedal or Box

Tim
November 9th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I am looking to buy a new digital pedal/box. I want something that can be connect to the computer via USB. Normally the digital units do not come with good presets, so being able to download from the internet is preferred or tweak others that are good. I want to be able to move the digital unit from room to room with minimum setup. I also would like to have one with some descent volume when using a head set. Does anybody have suggestions?

ted s
November 9th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Hey Tim, what about this.. http://korgpandora.com/
I have the PX4 that doesn't have usb. I am contemplating trading in my px4 and RP150 for the px5.

warren0728
November 9th, 2008, 11:08 AM
my digitech rp250 works great....and with the x-edit software you can save unlimited presets....

sunvalleylaw
November 9th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Spud just received this one: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=8090 Line 6 M13 Stompbox modeler. I think he is very happy with it.

just strum
November 9th, 2008, 11:19 AM
my digitech rp250 works great....and with the x-edit software you can save unlimited presets....

Ditto with the RP350.

tot_Ou_tard
November 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Does anyone have experience with the Zoom G2 1.u ?

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g21u/

I had the G2 for a short while before I got my Tonelab. I didn't have the chops to really put it through its paces (not that I do now).

Spudman
November 9th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Spud just received this one: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=8090 Line 6 M13 Stompbox modeler. I think he is very happy with it.

There is no USB or amp models though.

sunvalleylaw
November 9th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Ok, so re-reading Tim's post, what about the Pod series? Line 6 has tons of great patches on line, and lots of great cab models etc. Plus the Pods you can take with you and use your patches wherever you are, right?

Duff
November 10th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I have an RP 350 and it is great. The price has come way down on them probably because of the new RP 500.

The usb part works fantastic and it has xlr and quarter inch output jacks to go to your amp or PA, selectable. It is an awesome pedal. I'm sure there are better ones but this is the best one I have right now.

Duffy

Tibernius
November 10th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Does anyone have experience with the Zoom G2 1.u ?

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g21u/

I had the G2 for a short while before I got my Tonelab. I didn't have the chops to really put it through its paces (not that I do now).

Yep, I've got one. Works well, 40 presets + 40 user made patches, USB port. Only downside is you can't disable an effect while you're playing, you can only change the patch.

warren0728
November 10th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I have an RP 350 and it is great. The price has come way down on them probably because of the new RP 500.

The usb part works fantastic and it has xlr and quarter inch output jacks to go to your amp or PA, selectable. It is an awesome pedal. I'm sure there are better ones but this is the best one I have right now.

Duffy
hey duff....do you use the x-edit software? if not i highly recommend you download it (for free) from the digitech website! :pancake:

Lev
November 10th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I have a zoom G2.1u that I like alot. I find the effects more useful than the modeling, I don't use the modelling much at all but mainly use it as a delay/chorus/flanger. You can't use the usb to edit the patches though so I'm not sure it really suits your needs.

For ultra portability the line6 pocket pod might fulfil your requirements. There's a large online patch database, you can edit patches via usb and it fits on a gig bag.

oldguy
November 10th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I'd agree with Warren and Duffy. I have the Digitech RP-250. The usb works slick on the computer, X-Edit is way faster and easier than tweaking knobs to get the sound you want, plus you can save it to file to use anytime you need it. The website has lots of user-built presets you can download, the built-in drummer's not too bad, and the drum and preset volumes are independent of each other. You can find a drum pattern you like, set the bpm to a speed you like, adjust the drum volume, then jump to your preset guitar sound and start playin'.
I had a P.O.D., but it was the one w/o usb. The sounds were great on it also, but I honestly don't think any better than the Digitech.

Duff
November 10th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I downloaded the X-Edit software, I forget why, but I needed it for something like hooking up to my Lexicon Omega, or something. I think I had to update the software to the most current version. Yeah that was it and that was like a year ago. I wonder if there is a newer version of the software, internal software to the pedal itself.

I really should get into some recording because my playing has progressed to the point that I can share some decent clips.

I should learn some of the additional aspects like the Xedit and the stuff on the Sony Acid recording program that I like better than the Cubase LT.

Duffy

warren0728
November 10th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I downloaded the X-Edit software, I forget why, but I needed it for something like hooking up to my Lexicon Omega, or something. I think I had to update the software to the most current version. Yeah that was it and that was like a year ago. I wonder if there is a newer version of the software, internal software to the pedal itself.

I really should get into some recording because my playing has progressed to the point that I can share some decent clips.

I should learn some of the additional aspects like the Xedit and the stuff on the Sony Acid recording program that I like better than the Cubase LT.

Duffy
hey duff....i had to update the firmware on my rp250....i think there are instructions on the digitech website on how to check the firmware version of your pedal...if it needs to be updated you just download thye software to your computer and run the update with your pedal attached via usb....really simple....

M29
November 11th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I absolutely love my pocket pod. I have not used the USB yet but I just like being able to plug in my guitar, headphones, and CD player and pick a sound. I especially like having that huge sound and being able to play as loud as I want at anytime while walking around. The actual sounds are pretty good and there are plenty. I had a Zoom 606 and I like the sound of the Pocket Pod better. If I ever get the time I will look into different sounds from the internet that I can add. Here is a decent demo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5zB4QlsXr8&feature=related

This was a good idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7itnN3r7ffQ&feature=related

M

Duff
November 12th, 2008, 02:59 AM
I had to originally use the xedit to update my firmware inside my RP350. Is that the update you did? Right after you got it? Or had you had it for a while? I originally updated mine about a year ago when I got it.

It is a fairly awesome pedal for the price they are selling them for now.

I use an inexpensive AX5G toneworks that I like because it is battery operated or AC. It doesn't stand up to the digitech I don't think, but I don't really know because I'm not that great at making my own patches. I like the toneworks though and would love to get a backup one because they are plastic and were on sale at MF, hope they come back on sale.

I think that "user friendliness" is a key ingredient in a mulitpedal, and the RP 350 has a fairly visible interface with the led and the knobs and chart on the top above the corresponding knobs.

Duffy

warren0728
November 12th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I had to originally use the xedit to update my firmware inside my RP350. Is that the update you did? Right after you got it? Or had you had it for a while? I originally updated mine about a year ago when I got it.
yep....that's what i did....i did it when i installed x-edit....it wouldn't work until i did the firmware update....

Tim
November 13th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks to those who responded. I am toying with the idea of wheater to get a pedal or box. The Padora looks nice but a little too small. But then maybe a drive to the local guitar hang out will change my mind.

I have had my eye on the Zoom padal since I first saw it with Warrren 2 years ago.

I have the RP100A. It has terrible presets. I also have been known to keep my foot on the pedal button and skip about 10 presets and end up playing a heavy metal setting during a folk style song. That was embarrasing at the time.

How does the RP250 compare to the RP100A? Anubody know?

I will keep searching with the suggestions given. Thanks again to all.

oldguy
November 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM
How does the RP250 compare to the RP100A? Anubody know?

I will keep searching with the suggestions given. Thanks again to all.

Better build quality. Sturdier, more features, more flexibility. Will still skip presets if you hold it down instead of "tapping" it one preset at a time.