PDA

View Full Version : Viking Clip Clean - Attempt at Gravity, not clean

sunvalleylaw
November 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM
http://www.box.net/shared/6r8s7czx0f

I said I would put up a clip of the Hagstrom Viking played clean. I worked for over an hour yesterday recording a take that sounded pretty good for what I can do, re-doing mistakes, putting stuff together. This isn't it. LOL! I lost that one when my computer seized up from all my re-takes and crashed, and I hadn't saved my work. So this is a once through take starting off with a clam on the first note. On the chords, some are new shapes, and some I am trying to play with the thumb over the top, and I tend to bend the chord out of tune. At this point, I am just trying to form the chords and strum them once or twice between changes. As I get more comfortable, I will try to play them more like Mayer does. Anyhow, here it is clams and all. There is time left if someone wants to record over the second half of the backer.

The Viking was on the neck pickup, clean, tone turned up, volume most of the way up but not dimed.

SuperSwede
November 10th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Nice one Steve, its definately that classic hollow body sound.

Algonquin
November 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Sounds great SVL. More member clips are exactly what this place needs! Thanks for posting.

PS, I think red was the way to go... classic!

oldguy
November 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Sounds good Steve!:AOK:
Nice big 355 sound, your lead sounds good, and those chords will fall into place soon with a bit more practice.:beer: I'd like to hear another take later after you get more comfortable with the chords, to compare the two.
Thanks for posting the clip, and sorry 'bout the lost take........
that sucks, been there, done that, time consuming............

M29
November 10th, 2008, 01:08 PM
You make that that Viking sound sweet and clean Steve:AOK: The neck pickup has a nice open unclouded sound very nice indeed. You are gettin around that fretboard man, keep it goin. Nice clean recording especially for a one take. Like Algonquin says, we need lots of member clips:AOK:

M

Lev
November 10th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Great job on the solo Steve. Lovely tone from that Viking!

warren0728
November 10th, 2008, 03:20 PM
man that viking has some great tone! makes we want to plug in my artcore! i haven't played it plugged in in awhile (been on an acoustic kick lately)....but my new champ xd may change that! :beer:

cobalt
November 10th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Sweet tone, Nice job keep at it.

Robert
November 10th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Nice tone, Sun! You got a good geetar!

sunvalleylaw
November 10th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys. One thought on the tone, the Vik has a really sweet sound, and there are no pedals on in this clip. So that points out how nice the Peavey C-30 is. A guitar straight in to the clean channel, set at 3 with some reverb turned on and the EQ flat. Mic'd with the SM57 into the Toneport into the computer. Thanks guys on the complements. Sorry about the sloppy chord work, but they are new shapes and are slowly coming. I will do a re-record when I am a bit better at the rest of it.

sunvalleylaw
November 10th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Great job on the solo Steve. Lovely tone from that Viking!

Thanks Lev, and thanks for all the great help you gave me getting started on this song. It gave me a much better understanding of what was going on in the song.

Now my mission is to nail it on both guitars, and put up a clip with the strat too. It has a whole different feel, and it is a strat song after all.

aeolian
November 10th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Steve, nice bit of guitar playing. I'm especially impressed with the precision in your note bending.

sunvalleylaw
November 10th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks Aeolian! That is a nice complement. The solo stuff is a mix of bends and slides. There are quite a few slides on the second solo part and the first part is more bending.

zeusse
November 10th, 2008, 06:45 PM
The tone is really nice on this Steve and I could throw something on the end of this if you like:dude:

Algonquin
November 10th, 2008, 06:49 PM
So that points out how nice the Peavey C-30 is. A guitar straight in to the clean channel, set at 3 with some reverb turned on and the EQ flat. Mic'd with the SM57 into the Toneport into the computer.
I'd like to try micing as opposed to using the Toneport amp models. I've got an old Fostex mic that was pretty similar to the SM58. Mics must have come down in price, as I see Shure SM57's going around the $110 price. I know they were more $$$ in the 80's, because mine was about $100 back then, and it was much cheaper than a Shure. Are you happy with the 57 SVL?... maybe I should get one, I'll scope the locals for a bit to see if I can find a good quality used one.

sunvalleylaw
November 10th, 2008, 06:57 PM
It is pretty much the first one I owned, and most all my recordings have been through it. I have gotten complements on the recording on my clips I have posted here, and it seems to do a very good job of recording my set up. So yes, I am happy with it. It was a gift from my parents, along with a short mic boom that is perfect for my amph.

I like recording my gear mic'd a lot because then I get a sense of what my gear does for if I get a chance to play out with it. It is fun to play with all the Toneport amph models and stompboxes and such, but I tend to record with my live gear.

tjcurtin1
November 10th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I agree, that's a really sweet clean tone with good body. I like the playing, Steve, and particularly some of the chord voicings - what chords are you playing there?

just strum
November 10th, 2008, 07:00 PM
It is fun to play with all the Toneport amph models and stompboxes and such, but I tend to record with my live gear.

I'm still not getting this recording thing as far as what I need to record.

zeusse
November 10th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I just threw a quick couple of riffs at the end of this hope you don't mind:D

duhvoodooman
November 10th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Very sweet cleans there, Steve. Nice sounding guitar....and amp! :AOK: :dude: :rockon:

sunvalleylaw
November 10th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I just threw a quick couple of riffs at the end of this hope you don't mind:D Heck no! I am honored. Thanks for hopping in! I have to put the kids to bed and will come back in a few and listen.

EDIT: Hey Zeusse, I had missed your first post on my way out of the office. I am glad you went ahead and hopped in. I love that about this place. I like listening to your approach and learning from your different way of approaching the melody. That is a really nice tone as well! Thanks again for joining me! :rockon: :D :beer:

sunvalleylaw
November 10th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I agree, that's a really sweet clean tone with good body. I like the playing, Steve, and particularly some of the chord voicings - what chords are you playing there?

Wow, that is weird, it is like a missed a couple posts before I left work.

The chords are a barre G with the the thumb on low E instead of barring across, C with thumb over the top again at eight with index barring the high E and B, G at 9, D at 10, mute A (there must be a real name for that voicing, but I don't know it. I got it off the sheet music). Barre Am7 at 5th fret, D7 with muted E strings, B at 3, G at 5, D at 4, A at 5, a tough Gm/Bb with A and D barred at 5, low E at 6, G at 7, B at 8, mute high E, EbM7 muting low E, A and high E at 6, G at 7, B and D at 8, and back to the D7, then back into G and C and repeat.

Now if you can follow that gibberish, . . . ;) The chord voicings are one of the fun parts of this song. :AOK:

I'm still not getting this recording thing as far as what I need to record.

Strum, there are a couple threads on it, but basically, you need a USB interface of some kind, (I like the Toneports, but lots of people get cheaper MAudio interfaces and others), and some recording software. Something like Audacity or Cubase or something. You can add pedals or multi effects (Does your multi effect have a USB out? Then plug it into the computer and record into Audacity) If not, plug that into a USB interface, dial in the tone you want, and go. You don't have to have the multi effect or processor, but lots of people like to. I like to mic my amph best. That goes through the USB interface too.

My first recording was a Guitar jack to audio input cable adapter thing, and I plugged directly into my computer. It worked, but not much signal.

Jimi75
November 11th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Wow! That is a lovely and sweet guitar tone and the amph has a very direct articulation, strong in its tone. I like your clip very much, it has a nice mood and your playing get better and better - to be honest - I was surprised by the nice lines you played in the beginning! Great Steve! :bravo:

sunvalleylaw
November 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks Jimi! :)

Guitar Gal
November 12th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks for posting the clips SVL :rockon:

Your new Viking sure sounds sweeet :bravo:

GG

tjcurtin1
November 17th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Steve, Thanks for the chords!
Ted

Algonquin
November 17th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Mic'd with the SM57 into the Toneport into the computer.
It's funny how these things have a chain reaction effect. You posted this and inspired me to make a post in this HR&SC Showcase as well. Had a conversation with you about miking amps with the sm57, then Roberts separate thread about the same microphone. Now I'm just waiting for the Purolator truck to arrive sometime later this week with a package for me :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
February 28th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Sounds good Steve!:AOK:
Nice big 355 sound, your lead sounds good, and those chords will fall into place soon with a bit more practice.:beer: I'd like to hear another take later after you get more comfortable with the chords, to compare the two.
Thanks for posting the clip, and sorry 'bout the lost take........
that sucks, been there, done that, time consuming............

Well OG, I came back to this one. I had not been playing it, but dusted it off a few weeks back. A tiny little bit more comfortable with the chords (though I still struggle with combining my rhythm with lead), and attempted to keep the lead going to finish the song as Spudman said. So here it is. I will keep working on it and post again. This take is again with the viking, though I really love the strat on this song. The vik just happened to be home tonight while the strat is up at the office with the Fender.

http://www.box.net/shared/ks46bd9alr

syo
February 28th, 2010, 12:57 AM
My first time reading this thread. Sounds real nice Steve. Actually dozed off a little the first time listening to it. Nice relaxing, laid back and clean vibe.
Thanks.

Katastrophe
February 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I must have missed this thread the first time through. Way to go Steve! Love the tones from the Viking.

sunvalleylaw
February 28th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Thanks Kat and Syo for the kind words. I like playing around with that backing track. I am attempting to clear my next hurdle in playing, which is combining rhythm elements with lead elements. This song is a good opportunity for that. I spent a long time a year, year and half ago focusing on learning scales, modes, and lead lines, and noodling to backing tracks. Then I felt my rhythm playing suffered. That was a while back, and I have not cleared that hurdle to my satisfaction yet.

Since I realized that focus, I quit lessons for a while. I put some time into the Mark Wein materials, which really help by the way, but then a remodel to bring my mother in law into my house interfered with my playing time over the summer and early fall. Not much progress. And my playing in the time I have had since late fall has been devoted mostly to my acoustic end, as I joined an acoustic jam that plays mostly folk oriented stuff, and bluegrass. Plus I got my Martin which took me in that direction for a while. It is fun to come back to this essentially slow blues and mess around with it.

Though it is a strat song, and I really like my strat with it, the Vik does sound good on this IMHO.

Lev
March 1st, 2010, 05:18 AM
:applause
Really great Steve, I love that you have the confidence now to improvise your own lines at the end. It's actually a pretty challenging song to combine lead and rhythm on because some of the chord fingering is a little unusual so take your time with it.

oldguy
March 2nd, 2010, 05:16 AM
Great job, SVL! :AOK
Nice clean tone from that axe, too, btw. Sounds as good as she looks.:applause

Monkus
March 2nd, 2010, 07:18 AM
very nice svl !!!! I respect the control...