PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Dream Gig?

jpfeifer
June 13th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I know that all musicians at one point or another fantasize about the ultimate gig that they have always wanted. I would like to hear yours.

I think for me there are really two different ones:
First, I've always wanted to be a studio musician. When I was growing up I read about these guys who could come into a recording session and play any style required, site read, get all the right tones, play awesome solos, etc. I was in awe of people like this. I used to read stories about Tommy Tedesco (legendary LA studio musician) and was facinated by that. I even got to meet him one time and talk to him about his experiences, etc. He was a really funny guy and very nice. It seemed like the ultimate gig to be able to pull off what he did. I also admired guys like Steve Lukather, Larry Carlton, etc. who did the the same thing and made a good living out of it too.

Second, would have to be one of the guys that play guitar in Paul McCartney's band. I saw Paul McCartney's latest tour and he was playing so many of his old Beatle tunes. Not just the typical stuff but some of the more obsure tunes too. The guys in his band were nailing the guitar parts and getting all the right tones for each song etc. It would be such a thrill to be playing those tunes with a legend like him. But the most fun about that gig would be talking to him after the show and hearing stories about his Beatle days, etc.

OK. Those are my dream gigs. What are yours?
-- Jim

Spudman
June 13th, 2006, 09:56 PM
My dream gig is to tour with Tomas Bodin and play all 3 complete "I AM" series of concept albums. I think I could cop all the JJ Marsh stuff with no problem and add some spank of my own. Tomas is such a nice guy and one of the best keyboardists and songcrafters on the planet. It would be such an honor that I would do it for free...and food and lodging of course.
http://www.tomasbodin.com/IAM/home.cfm

PassIt
June 14th, 2006, 01:37 AM
My dream gig is too one day be invited to be in the G3 tour that Steve Vai and Satch have every year. It would be the coolest think to play with two of my biggest guitar idols.

Nelskie
June 14th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Dream gig, eh? Well, mine would work out something like this:

I'd be traveling the barren lands of eastern Texas, en route to Memphis, TN, and fresh off a visit to my boy Tone's place down in Albuquerque, NM. My chops would be fresh and tight. After a long drive, I'd be looking to grab a bite, and cool down with a cold brew. I'd pull into some small 'burg well-off the beaten path, where I'd notice a slightly run-down watering hole on the far edge of town, with a rather impressive collection of slammed and chopped street rods, and a sizable herd of vintage Indians & Harleys parked in front of it. The neon sign above Ruby's door is flashing "Good Food" and "Cold Beer", and that's only part of what's peaking my attention. Even with the doors closed tight, I can make out the sound of a chunky Les Paul being pushed through a vintage amp. "This should be interesting", I comment, walking up to the door.

The air inside is thick and hazy, and I'm already feelin' the vibe of the heavy mojo. And much to my surprise, the house band is none other than . . . ZZ Top! A wide smile spreads across my face as the waitress brings me (2) icy cold Lone Stars. "Here's your brews, darlin'" she quips, "and it's two-fur one's tonight, too, you lucky devil." Lucky, indeed! A $5 tip earns me a gratuitous rack shot, and full-on view of her lovely gait back to the bar. Snapping myself back to reality, I casually sip on my beer, and watch the band roar through the Howlin' Wolf version of "I Just Want To Make Love To You". The Beard's tone is downright filthy, and the band is tight as it gets. A bevy of delicious Texas beauties gyrate languidly in front of the stage, and I'm starting to get to the point where I'm thinking that I'll be sleeping in my truck tonight.

A brisket sandwich and several beers later, I saunter up to the stage to check out the gear. I note an early Fender Twin that shows more than a few battle scars; a vintage Les Paul sunburst with non-factory p'ups; and surprisingly, an old blonde Telecaster with a nicely "broken in" maple neck. Hiding behind the Fender amp is what looks to be an old Marshall Bluesbreaker combo - vintage of course! Suddenly, a voice comes from behind me "you a player, my friend?" I turn around. It's the Rev. "Um . . . aahhh . . . yeah," I manage to stammer out, dumbfounded that I am standing in front of my all-time favorite player. "You wanna' sit in later - I got an extra amp along." "Um . . . aahhh . . . yeah . . . OK," I reply, attempting to hide my rapture. "We usually don't play "band stuff" (as in ZZ Top songs) here, so what else you keen on layin' down?" the Rev asks me. This time, I'm quick to the draw. "How 'bout a little Cradle Rock?" "Aaah yes - very tasty!" he replies. "We'll call you up at the end of the set, how's that?" I just nod, not being sure that any of this is really happening. "By the way, name's Billy," he says, extending his hand. "Jon . . . or Jonny" I reply. "Jonny Guitar," laughs the Beard, "welcome to Ruby's."

As I return to my table, I become panic-stricken. What if I suck? What if I blow a chord? A million thoughts race through my head. My once-in-a-lifetime shot at playing with the Reverend Billy G., and I stink up the stage. It'd be a sad way to go. But then I think to myself how many other guys would kill for an opportunity like this? I steel myself with a shot of Jim Beam and a tall glass of ice water. I gotta' get up there, and just do it.

The third set is now in full-gallop, with the boys raging on classic cuts by Elvis, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Chuck Berry, and then . . . it's time. Billy looks towards me, and gestures to come on up. The crowd of lovelies parts as I walk towards the stage, politely clapping for me, the estranged guitarist about to step on stage with Texas' finest. I grab the Tele, plug in, and hit the standby on the Marshall. "Good" I think, "the tubes are nice and warm". The Rev gives me the nod, as if to say "lesse' what'cha got", and I start the intro. The tone of the amp is fat & juicy, quick to break up - just the way I like it. The Tele feels like an old friend, and plays effortlessly. Frank & Dusty fall in perfectly, and we're off to the races.

I look out across the bar, and the dance floor is packed - bodies weaving hypnotically to the flow of the song. I'm in the zone. I can feel the amp behind me, and the monitors in front - every note is pulsating energy through my body to my fingers, and I'm in total cruise control. The Rev glides effortlessly through the solo section, and nods his approval at the crunchy rhythm line I'm laying down. This is his show, so I'm not in the mindset of stealing his thunder. We drag the ending out, trading fills every other measure, and then end the number to a tumultuous barrage of applause. "Ladies & Gentlemen, Jonny Guitar" the Rev announces, as I bow my head politely to the band.

As I set the Tele down, the Rev comes over and says, "That was tight, brother - nice job." "Umm . . . thanks" I reply, still a bit breathless from playing the song. We exchange a few pleasantries before he's surrounded by the regulars, which is my cue to head back to my table. I order another beer (which again, means two), and try to sort out what just happened in my head. The surreal-ness of it all has me wondering if I will soon wake up. "Hey darlin', this is for you from Billy" says the buxom waitress, as she sets up a shot of tequila' for me. The good stuff. And then, hands me a business card. "Billy's Hot Rod Shop. You got the money . . . we got the fast." Nice.

After a few games of pool, I decide it's time to leave. I still have a lot of driving ahead of me. Walking towards my vehicle, I wonder if any and all of that just happened. I start my truck, and turn on the radio. The familiar chords of "La Grange" hit my ears. My - how fitting.

Driving into the east Texas night, ZZ Top cranked, with a big smile on my face. Priceless. :cool:

Katastrophe
June 14th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Gee, Nelskie, I think ya need to be a tad more specific... :D Great dream gig, man. Except, as cheap as Lone Star is, $5.00 could get ya 2 and still leave $1.50 for the tip.:eek: :D

My dream gig consists of :

1) a stage with a good working PA and soundman, at any decent club;
2) My rig and guitars in proper working order (perhaps with a Strat or LP available as well);
3) crowd of about 100-200 enthusiastic patrons;
4) Good, eclectic setlist, containing various covers and originals, ranging from '80s metal to Outlaw Country (and yes, FREEBIRD!);
5) Family and friends there, with good food, having a good time;
6) A paycheck at the end of the night for my efforts...

jpfeifer
June 14th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Nelski,

Wow, I get the impression that you have had this dream several times before. You have all the detail in there right down to the smell of the room, the good looking waitress, the guitar rig, the Bar-B-Que sandwich, everything. Nice writing!

You know what they say about the power of visualization. If you can visualize something in enough detail then you're more likely to attain it. Good luck on this one. Just make sure to send us some pictures afterwards of you and Billy jamming together! You never know.

One of my friends used to play in a band in Austin, Tx. One night Willie Nelson walked into the club where they were playing to sit in with their group. Here in the Phoenix area where I live, George Benson likes to drop into some of the popular local Jazz clubs and sit in with people when he is in town.

-- Jim

Nelskie
June 14th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Wow, I get the impression that you have had this dream several times before . . .
Yes indeed, and in vividly re-occurring format. Most often, after a night of jamming live. In reality, my "dream" gig would be similar to Kat's. However, taking the "dream" element of that further, I couldn't resist the urge to paint that picture. Besides, it'll be fun for me reading that a year down the road.

Just make sure to send us some pictures afterwards of you and Billy jamming together . . .
Jim - If that dream ever does happen, and I have a camera, you'll be seeing photos of that waitress instead of me and the Rev. on stage. Whoa! She was a total knock-out! Maybe next time I'll tell you about her tatoo. ;)

Kat - FYI, I'd thought about changing the brand of beer in that story. But this wasn't the kind of place that had an import list, if you get my drift. ;) I also keep finding it odd that I'm playing an old Tele through a Marshall combo in that dream. But like they say, dreams that are that real are often percursors of things to come . . .? And a rig like that sounds mighty expensive. :eek:

Katastrophe
June 14th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Kat - FYI, I'd thought about changing the brand of beer in that story. But this wasn't the kind of place that had an import list, if you get my drift. ;) I also keep finding it odd that I'm playing an old Tele through a Marshall combo in that dream. But like they say, dreams that are that real are often percursors of things to come . . .? And a rig like that sounds mighty expensive. :eek:

Nah, don't do that, having Lone Star in the story just adds to the authenticity... I've been to a few halls where the Lone Star was cheap, cold, and not half bad for the evening. And while the rig sounds expensive, just think of the sheer tonnage of mojo workin' in that room! It would be worth it, my friend!

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I can't say enough about how I enjoyed reading your dream gig Nelskie. Dang that's some awesome stuff my man and lawd knows it would be heaven on Earth the nite that happens!

6STRINGS 9LIVES
June 15th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Nelskie you slay me ..My dream gig would be with the tightest group of musicians ever to load a truck ....A set with THE BAND ..Robbie, Garth,Levon, Rick,and Richard..Cripple Creek slow and easy, churning ,humming,smiling and gettin warmed up... The Weight.. breating in the heart and soul of groove and roll ,a groove so wide you could drive a bus in it ,tele twangin and holdin its own .. The Night They Drove Ole Dixie Down simmerin like a pot of ole red chillie, swayin in the heat of the lights smilin at RR and feelin the depth and breath of the pocket that sucks me in and holds me tight pushes me hard and cradles me like a soft warm quilt. Gettin to the grit and nasty of Who Do You Love chugga-chugga puttin it down loud and salty crankin up that bridge pickup volume and tone till the knobs wont turn , pushin through the solo and dancin with RR'S slide, driftin in and out chunking it out with dankos muddy thud . pickin up a beat old small headstock strat and churning out the first crushing bars of ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER, tryin to keep my feet on the stage , feelin the vibe pullin me up , nailing that bridge pickup blue tone all the way to the last note . smiling from ear to ear as the B3 and Leslie whirls up the intro to LIKE A ROLLING STONE , settlin in to the magic and remembering what bloomfield did to me the first time i'd heard it ..gettin down off stage sweating , stinking of blues and r&b and all the mojo a dreamer could ever possess ....6S9L

Tim
June 15th, 2006, 12:15 PM
You guys continue to kill me. I love the ability you guys have to write outstanding posts whether it be on old or new gear, to help new guitar players, or to share your inner dreams. Excellent stories! Nelskie as always ... just an amazing narrative.

My dream gig would be able to meet and play along with some of you Fretters. I don’t need famous players, just friends that are good players.

Nelskie
June 15th, 2006, 12:29 PM
.. The Night They Drove Ole Dixie Down simmerin like a pot of ole red chillie, swayin in the heat of the lights smilin at RR and feelin the depth and breath of the pocket that sucks me in and holds me tight pushes me hard and cradles me like a soft warm quilt . . .
69SL - I don't think I've ever heard a better description of how that song feels. Nice post, my friend.

BTW - For anyone who has not seen or heard The Band's "The Last Waltz", the only word that I can muster that will accurately describe it is . . . stunning. The sheer genius and heartfelt emotion of their music is so accurately represented in that performance that it leaves you breathless. Anyone who claims that they love rock n' roll NEEDS to have something by The Band in their collection.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
June 15th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Cheers Nelskie..Thats how i would feel if i were on the stage playin with that group , i've been playin their tunes for years and the songs always take me somewhere and bring out the best of my playin ...not to hijack the thread but Nelskie is right, if you have not seen THE LAST WALTZ go get it Now... Martin Scorsese directed this amazing film of 1976's performance at San Francisco's Winterland Ballroom , The Band, Dylan, Clapton, Neil Young, Muddy Waters, and many more ...the farewell performance by The Band...put yourself there...6S9L