PDA

View Full Version : vox da5

sumitomo
November 10th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Has anyone played with one of these portable little jobs?Sumi:D

markb
November 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Oh, yes. It's a great little amp. Good tones and useful effects. You get full control over the effects too by using combinations of the knob and buttons. The only thing it's missing from the bigger ADVT amps is the "valve reactor" circuit in the power section. I usually leave mine on 1/4 power (0.5 watts) and it's easily loud enough for home use. I've even taken it out to an open mic night to back up a singer. I cranked it up to full power and it didn't need miking on the blackface model. Highly recommended, one day I'll put it through a bigger speaker.

By the way, all the models are exactly as in the larger amps, they're just given different labels. Oh, and the batteries last ages on the 0.5w power setting.

Spudman
November 10th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I almost got one once. It sounded great but I like to be loud. Duff might chime in on this because he has one and really likes it.

Andy
November 10th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I was checking out some DA5 reviews on youtube and this popped up.
>warning<this is probably the worst review I've ever seen/heard.
It obviously does not do the amp justice

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2BFu2rOtOKI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2BFu2rOtOKI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sumitomo
November 10th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I was looking at the crate and others,cause I want to keep an axe and a amph here at the shop,for when there are slow days and I could sit outside in the summer without a bunch of power cords.I have a 12v amph I found in the trash it works has volume/tone but it is clean or mush but heck it was free.I think I found my Christmas present.Sumi:D

Gil Janus
November 10th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I have one too. It's a great little amp, and on .5w it will run almost forever on batteries and still be loud enough in the house. When I'm outside with wind noise, I raise it to 5w - and it's fine.

It has lots of great sounds, a not bad selection of effects, and it can be used anywhere - I use mine all over the house and outside - on the deck, in the garden, on top of the hill under a tree - it's a small wonder. The amp has a carry strap that can be replaced with any guitar strap so you can sling it along with you - all it needs is a good cover and/or bag - Vox makes neither.

If you really need more power, they make 10w and 20w versions that work on batteries or AC - they are just a little bigger and heavier and louder with 2 speakers in each.

I got mine last year in one of the limited colors that is no longer available. I highly recommend the DA5 - a great value.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/giljanus/Guitars/DSC00007.jpg
My Squier Cherryburst Strat and my Vox DA5 in Camo with a couple of pedals.

Gil :cool: