PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Guitars

sensei
November 11th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Hey all,

I friend of mine wants to sell me (practically give me) a Peavey Guitar. All I know about is it was bought new in 1985.

Anybody know what models were being sold in '85? General quality?

I'm gonna see it and play it Wednesday night, and wouldn't mind any opinions.

S

warren0728
November 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM
i have a peavey predator (early 90's fat strat copy) and it is a good guitar....nice fretwork....stays in tune and the electronics are pretty decent....what model are you looking at....

sensei
November 11th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Don't know the model yet...I'll see it Wednesday night..

markb
November 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM
If it's a T60 or T40 grab it and run. They were great workhorse guitars. The early Predators were built in the USA too and sell for absurdly low prices. All nice guitars in line with Peavey's (old) policy of good kit at sensible prices.

sensei
November 11th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks...I'll keep that in mind.

I'm dying to see my new baby (hopefully)

warren0728
November 11th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I'm dying to see my new baby (hopefully)
me too!! :beer: :pancake:

Spudman
November 11th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I think Mark is right. A T series or an Odyssey would be a good score. The Razer, Mantis and Mystic are early 80s models that are a good find as well.
Oh hell, what am I saying? All the guitars that Peavey made back then were pretty cool. There are some models that absolutely were awesome. We need to know what model it is.

sensei
November 12th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Thanks all...I'll be seeing my friend tonight. Can't wait.

sensei
November 30th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I got it!!

It's a 1984 T-15, in really fine shape. Just a couple minor scuffs (see pics). Much nicer tone than my "el cheapo" strat copy want-a-be.

I've got the original sales receipt, warranty info, instruction book, and hard shell case.

Anyway, I gotta get jammin.

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/benderofsteel/t001.jpg

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/benderofsteel/t002.jpg

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/benderofsteel/t003.jpg

just strum
November 30th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Nice score. You will have to give us a little more info after you are done playing - see you back here in a few minutes, uh hours, uh days, uh...

Oh hell, we'll see ya, when we see ya.

Congrats

warren0728
November 30th, 2008, 08:46 AM
that's a great looking guitar sensei! enjoy!! :beer:

Spudman
November 30th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Those are cool. They have a vibe that reminds me of a Duo Sonic.

sunvalleylaw
November 30th, 2008, 12:40 PM
So tell me which are the cool Peavey strats please. I would like to know what to look for in a good one just in case I ran across one. I saw one listed at only $80 at a Boise git shop, but had no way of knowing what it was made of etc. It seemed decent enough.

M29
November 30th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Conrats that is a nice guitar!

M

luvmyshiner
November 30th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with a Peavey Steve. My son has a Predator that I played for awhile back when my ONLY guitar was in the shop. The research I did on them indicates that much like Washburn, they're an under priced, under appreciated guitar.

Brian Krashpad
December 1st, 2008, 09:08 AM
So tell me which are the cool Peavey strats please. I would like to know what to look for in a good one just in case I ran across one. I saw one listed at only $80 at a Boise git shop, but had no way of knowing what it was made of etc. It seemed decent enough.

They're probably all OK, but there are made in USA and import Predators, so you may as well get the USA ones. Check headstock for "Crafted in USA" or some such language. These date from the '90's and are poplar Strats, same as the MIM Fenders of the time. To me, the Peavey is slightly uperior, having larger frets and a 22nd fret (MIM's of the '90's had 21). Otherwise, pretty much same guitar as the '90's MIM Fender.

I got mine for a Benjamin on ebay.

PS-- congrats on the T-15 to the OP!