PDA

View Full Version : Where Does the Name

just strum
November 11th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Dolphinstreet come from? I was just over there and never really gave it any thought until now.

Robert
November 11th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I was looking for a domain name and found it hard to find a catchy name. I looked at my favorite jazz tunes, one of which is On Green Dolphin Street. Too long for a domain name, so I shortened it. That's the story behind the name!

What would you have guessed the name came from?

just strum
November 11th, 2008, 08:20 PM
What would you have guessed the name came from?

That's what I was trying to figure out. I thought maybe a fasination with the ocean or something that tied in to an earlier part of your life. I also was thinking music, but I came up empty. Since I am not familiar with jazz artists and songs, I never would have landed on the real reason for the name.

I never really gave it much thought, but I sent someone an email tonight and told them to come over and visit thefret, or if a forum wasn't his thing, check out Dolphinstreet. When I typed the name and went over there, the name just suddenly struck me.

If my wife and I were still having kids, I would name the next one Dolphinstreet - hah, take that Frank Zappa!!!

Robert
November 11th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Do you think Dolphinstreet is a good and catchy name? I have been very surprised to learn that one of the most common search terms people use in Google to find my site isn't "big veiny dude", "guitar lessons by a swede", etc. No, it's apparent the name Dolphinstreet has become a brand online. "Dolphin Street" or "Dolphinstreet" is one of search terms most commonly used to find my site. Which means, they aren't stumbling on my site, they know the name of it already and just use Google to get the link they can click on. Interesting, huh?

just strum
November 11th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I like the name. The first time I googled it I entered "that mammal fishy thing" and it came back with "did you mean - the big veiny guy?" All things Dolphin lead to you.