PDA

View Full Version : What's in a Name?

just strum
November 11th, 2008, 08:44 PM
At another forum someone suggested that the members put their real name in their signature. I thought that was a good idea because I grew tired of calling someone by the forum name.

So I am throwing it out there if anyone wants to do that (that's the reason for the change in my sig). It's interesting to see what peoples real names are and it's nice to call them by their real name.

Now, I wonder what Warren's and Robert's real names are? Burt and Ernie?

Again, just throwing it out there - not there for debate.

Algonquin
November 11th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Well, I went with Algonquin when I originally signed up on YouTube so I could continually badger a certain Vox/Squier playing Gent about playing AC/DC on a fender and those huge... uh, never mind.

Any 'Algonquin' you find on Canoe Forums won't be me, but I'm Algonquin on a few... it's just easy that way. I sign my given name occasionally, and always if I pm with a Fretter. I think it's nice if you thank a fretter and know their real name, but a general post I'll use their Fret handle.

Thanks for posting Matt!

bigoldron
November 11th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks for posting Matt!

Who's Matt??? :confused:

------------------------
Ronnie

just strum
November 11th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks for posting Matt!

See what a difference it makes. Thanks for the response Alice :poke: :D

duhvoodooman
November 11th, 2008, 09:04 PM
The name is Duh. Or you can call me Mr. Man. Just don't call me by my middle name, 'cuz it's weird. I'm so mad at my parents (a Haitian priest & priestess) for naming me that. I stick pins in their effigies whenever I think about it....

OK, I lied. It's Bob.

Algonquin
November 11th, 2008, 09:05 PM
See what a difference it makes. Thanks for the response Alice :poke: :D

OK, Robert has actually met me (poor ba*ta*d) and can attest I have a lame sense of humour.

Sorry about that Mork.

duhvoodooman
November 11th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Sorry about that Mork.
You misspelled it again, 'Gonq! That starts with a 'D'....

Robert
November 11th, 2008, 09:14 PM
My real name is Dr. Hfuhruhurr.

Algonquin
November 11th, 2008, 09:18 PM
You misspelled it again, 'Gonq! That starts with a 'D'....
Now that's funny!... :AOK:

bigoldron
November 11th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Sounds like an I.D.-10-T. problem to me...

sunvalleylaw
November 11th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Most folks here know my real name. I am one of the many and powerful Steves!

"We are the Steve, do not resist, we will assimilate you!" :D

WackyT
November 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM
There are some who call me...Tim?

eQapJZFcxsc

Spudman
November 11th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I kind of have mixed feelings about this. Some anonymity is fine with me. I'll consider it though.

Signed,
James Bond

Ch0jin
November 12th, 2008, 01:24 AM
H'mmmmmm

I'm thinking Chojin, the superfiend whose destiny it is to once every three thousand years unite the forces of the Jyujinkai, the Makai and the human race to form the Land of Enternity is a little more interesting in conversation than Darren......

(The name Chojin is from Urotsukidoji by the way)

Anyway....

markb
November 12th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I'm Mark Bxxxxxxx. Game of hangman to guess the rest, anybody?

ted s
November 12th, 2008, 03:44 PM
My name is actually Steve Dett.
oops, secrets out now.

helliott
November 12th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Seriously though, if you had a given name like Howard, wouldn't you rather use a goofy forum name, like helliott? Thought so. Not that my name's Howard, you understand. Just a hypothetical.
Rex

oldguy
November 12th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Mine's no big secret......if you search old threads you'll find it.
Glenn

Tone2TheBone
November 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM
My name is Angus Van Santana. J/k.

oldguy
November 12th, 2008, 04:55 PM
My name is Angus Van Santana. J/k.

Is that Swedish?:rotflmao:

Tone2TheBone
November 12th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Is that Swedish?:rotflmao:

Nope. I did rip it off from Spy Kids though. :)

just strum
November 12th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I'm just throwing it out there.

NOW GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!

Oh and Steve (SVL) I think if I recall correctly the Mark's outnumbered the Steve's.

And Steve (Spud) I always thought your name was James.

Ch0jin
November 12th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I'm just throwing it out there.

NOW GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

Thats my SMS alert tone!!!!!

sunvalleylaw
November 12th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Oh and Steve (SVL) I think if I recall correctly the Mark's outnumbered the Steve's.

But that is not counting the secret Steves like Ted just admitted. :D

Oh, and I guess that is why we still need to use our handles. Too many Steves and Marks!

street music
November 12th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Someone ask about Nathan???:thwap:

just strum
November 12th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I kind of have mixed feelings about this. Some anonymity is fine with me. I'll consider it though.

Signed,
James Bond

James,

I agree with you 100% and that's why I threw it out there as a suggestion that people add it to their signature, but only if they wish to do so. It's nice to call someone by their real name, but I can also see the desire to have your forum name being used. Or, you can put both in your sig and give someone an option. I put Mark in my sig, but everyone still calls me Strum, Strummy, Dummy, a-hole or whatever.

However, I respect anonymity.

Zorro

oldguy
November 12th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Nathan's a great name.
The thing about Steve is, if you're a Steve, you're just Steve.
If you're a Mark, you could be a mark, or you could be marked..........
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

mark twain....( a measurement, originally)
mark that in 'yer book.....
make your mark here, boy(usually followed by an "X")

And yet, there have been so many famous Marks in the world...........Mark Farner comes to mind immediately............

And what about initials.............how many well-meaning parents have given their children really cool sounding names, only to discover later the ramifications of stringing 3 letters together that had..............uh............less than admirable qualities when pronounced as a noun?

just strum
November 12th, 2008, 07:27 PM
And what about initials.............how many well-meaning parents have given their children really cool sounding names, only to discover later the ramifications of stringing 3 letters together that had..............uh............less than admirable qualities when pronounced as a noun?

first, yesterday I found out you were Glenn.

second: My initials are M. A. R. K.

Mark Alan Robert Kxxxxx

Ch0jin
November 12th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Mine worked out well.

My first two initials are DR so I get loads of mail for Dr (insert surname here).

I get to be a PhD with no study!! woot :)

tjcurtin1
November 12th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Well, if Ted S is a Steve, maybe I'm the only Ted and not merely 'Ted #2'......

just strum
November 12th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Well, if Ted S is a Steve, maybe I'm the only Ted and not merely 'Ted #2'......

But what if Steve is really Ted, or even worse, what if ALL the Steve's and Mark's were actually Ted's? That would make you 1 of 50.

oldguy
November 12th, 2008, 08:21 PM
My initials are M. A. R. K.

Mark Alan Robert Kxxxxx

Ah, so we have yet another Robert?
Bet that was fun when you were a little guy..............
Mark Alan Robert Kxxxxx!!!!!!
Who broke this lamp?????????
(it was like that when I saw it, honest)..........
OK, that's more like my childhood............except for the Mark Alan Robert Kxxxx part.:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

just strum
November 12th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Ah, so we have yet another Robert?
Bet that was fun when you were a little guy..............
Mark Alan Robert Kxxxxx!!!!!!
Who broke this lamp?????????
(it was like that when I saw it, honest)..........
OK, that's more like my childhood............except for the Mark Alan Robert Kxxxx part.:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Robert is my Confirmation name, I wanted Ringo.

marnold
November 12th, 2008, 08:32 PM
As many of you are aware, mine is Matt, although virtually no one calls me that. My members call me Pastor or Reverend, my kids call me Dad(dy), and my wife calls me late for dinner *rimshot*. My folks tend to call me "Harold," which really throws people for a loop. It's from the Bill Cosby "Old Weird Harold" bit. From my username you can probably guess my last name, especially if you've read any of my poetry.

Spudman
November 12th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Nathan's a great name.
The thing about Steve is, if you're a Steve, you're just Steve.
If you're a Mark, you could be a mark, or you could be marked..........
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

mark twain....( a measurement, originally)
mark that in 'yer book.....
make your mark here, boy(usually followed by an "X")

And yet, there have been so many famous Marks in the world...........Mark Farner comes to mind immediately............

Okay smarty pants

Steve Howe
Steve Lukather
Steve Morse
Stevie Salas
Steve Vaughn
Steve Smith
Steve Albini
Steve Stevens
Steve Earle
Steve Vai
Steve Miller
Steve Rothery

Signed,
Bond...James Bond

sunvalleylaw
November 12th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Okay smarty pants

Steve Howe
Steve Lukather
Steve Morse
Stevie Salas
Steve Vaughn
Steve Smith
Steve Albini
Steve Stevens
Steve Earle
Steve Vai
Steve Miller
Steve Rothery

Signed,
Bond...James Bond

And don't forget Stevie Wonder. That guy is amazing.

And now, one of my favorite blues/rock drummers, Steve Jordan.

And as kid, I was very, very proud to share the name of Steve McQueen. Fastback Mustangs baby!

Algonquin
November 12th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I like it both ways... 'not that there's anything wrong with that!' (Seinfeld)

What I mean is that I've learned some Fretter's names by them simply posting it, but I've also learned some by corresponding through the Personal Message feature here.

I appreciate that some have shared that personal info with me which shows a bit of trust.

So to the Barry's, Calle's, Mark's, Allen's, Howard's, Ted's, Steve's, Rob's, Horatio's... I say 'Thanks'

Cheers :beer:
David

sunvalleylaw
November 12th, 2008, 09:45 PM
David is a cool name too. Best guy to take down a giant with a rock that I know of.

tjcurtin1
November 12th, 2008, 09:52 PM
But what if Steve is really Ted, or even worse, what if ALL the Steve's and Mark's were actually Ted's? That would make you 1 of 50.

Ohhhhhh! (sounding deflated) and here I was just thinking I might be number 1, and I'm down to 50... He blinded me with...math!

Algonquin
November 12th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Funny thing is I was always 'Dave' growing up, but I started going with 'David' in the business world. So when I get an emails saying 'Hey Davey'... I appreciated it.

sunvalleylaw
November 12th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Ohhhhhh! (sounding deflated) and here I was just thinking I might be number 1, and I'm down to 50... He blinded me with...math!

Hey, is Thomas Dolby a member here? :D

Childbride
November 12th, 2008, 10:05 PM
the name my friends refer to me by starts with a k, ends with an e, and has some i's and m's in the middle.

and i'm not named after a city in florida. :D

ted s
November 12th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Hey Davey, you still have that talking dog ?

bigoldron
November 12th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Okay smarty pants

Steve Howe
Steve Lukather
Steve Morse
Stevie Salas
Steve Vaughn
Steve Smith
Steve Albini
Steve Stevens
Steve Earle
Steve Vai
Steve Miller
Steve Rothery

Signed,
Bond...James Bond

What about Steve Cropper? (Blues Brothers) :AOK:

BTW, bet there's not too many Ronnie's or Ron's here. 'Course, I could be wrong...

Algonquin
November 12th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Hey Davey, you still have that talking dog ?
Now that was a cool doggie!

piebaldpython
November 13th, 2008, 12:46 AM
PBP's given name is Stephen.......as in Stephen Stills, my first guitar hero.

Baby Cobra is Alessa. As to where we got her name.....in the movie "High Road To China", starring Tom Selleck and Bess Armstrong, one of the characters was named Princess Alessa. We both fell in love with the name and when we adopted her, that became her name. If she had been a HE, HE would still be nameless as we couldn't decide on a boy's name. :D I refused to have a JUNIOR. :rotflmao:

Ch0jin
November 13th, 2008, 01:12 AM
What about Steve Cropper? (Blues Brothers) :AOK:

BTW, bet there's not too many Ronnie's or Ron's here. 'Course, I could be wrong...

This might just be an Aussie thing, but we are always saying we are saving things for Ron. "Yeah mate I'll just grab that other beer for Ron"

Meaning "LateR ON"

Anyway...as you were..

oldguy
November 13th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Okay smarty pants

Steve Howe
Steve Lukather
Steve Morse
Stevie Salas
Steve Vaughn
Steve Smith
Steve Albini
Steve Stevens
Steve Earle
Steve Vai
Steve Miller
Steve Rothery

Signed,
Bond...James Bond

Sorry, Spud...... didn't mean to imply there were no famous Steve's.
I was referring to Mark being used in other contexts.
I've never heard anyone say "Ouch, that's gonna leave a Steve!":confused:
There's lots of famous Steve's out there for sure, touring as we speak.
If anyone wants attend one of their concerts, don't forget to mark your calendar.............

Bloozcat
November 13th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I like my alias...

It makes it a lot easier to post in forums as Bloozcat than to use my real name. This way I don't get any of that, "Is it really you? No way man, you're famous..." :D

Actually, I didn't think my real name, Boozcat, was appropriate so I just cleaned it up a bit...;)

BTW Strum...I use that same avatar on a couple of other non-music sites. Mine has a different caption, though...

http://common.allakhazam.com/images/uf/rinkkel/Incoming_baby.png

Steve206
November 13th, 2008, 01:45 PM
My middle name is Mark.

Steve

Andy
November 13th, 2008, 02:06 PM
It would nice if everyone posted their actual first name at the bottom, it's not like you are putting youself in danger somehow..:thwap:

If you prefer a person to referr to your screen name than ,put it at the bottom. just an idea and so easy to do...and it works.
most regular members will get used to it so it can be deleted after a short while anyway ,wth

Tone2TheBone
November 13th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I like my alias...

It makes it a lot easier to post in forums as Bloozcat than to use my real name. This way I don't get any of that, "Is it really you? No way man, you're famous..." :D

So.....which famous person are you then? :dude:

M29
November 13th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Barry Gonzorninplatz is the name my friends, (not really):D but you can call me what ever ya want. Man did that send my spell check for a loop. :thwap:

Algonquin
November 13th, 2008, 04:53 PM
PBP's given name is Stephen.......as in Stephen Stills, my first guitar hero.

Baby Cobra is Alessa. As to where we got her name.....in the movie "High Road To China", starring Tom Selleck and Bess Armstrong, one of the characters was named Princess Alessa. We both fell in love with the name and when we adopted her, that became her name. If she had been a HE, HE would still be nameless as we couldn't decide on a boy's name. :D I refused to have a JUNIOR. :rotflmao:
Alessa is a beautiful name, and High Road to China was a great movie!

Very nice Stephen.

sunvalleylaw
November 13th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Hey, PBP, you spell it correctly!

Stephen D. Thompson
Attorney at Law
Ketchum, Idaho

just strum
November 13th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I'm Cosmo, Cosmo Kramer

WBcskBB1eNs

ted s
November 13th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I lied, my name is neither Ted S or Steve Dett.

Elmer J. Fudd
Millionaire
I own a mansion and a yacht .

oldguy
November 13th, 2008, 06:46 PM
My real name is Mr. Mxyzptlk.
Since I'm only 54, I'm still in my impish stage............;)

tjcurtin1
November 13th, 2008, 07:22 PM
My real name is Mr. Mxyzptlk.
Since I'm only 54, I'm still in my impish stage............;)

Cosmicomics!

oldguy
November 13th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Yep, I wasn't really working construction....... I got tricked and said Kltpzyxm and had to return to the fifth dimension for 90 days.

just strum
November 13th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I can dress you kids up, but I just can't take you anywhere :thwap:

oldguy
November 13th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I can dress you kids up, but I just can't take you anywhere :thwap:

C'mon, Mark, you're 6 months older.......'member the guy, little guy from the fifth dimension? Came out in '44 in Superman?
You know that's me.........:rotflmao:

piebaldpython
November 13th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Hey, PBP, you spell it correctly!

Stephen D. Thompson
Attorney at Law
Ketchum, Idaho

Yeah, I did spell it RIGHT, didn't I? :D But, here's the funny thing about the name Stephen. I can't begin to tell you how many times in my life that people have looked at my name and pronounced it STEFFEN. ahahaaha It damn near seemed that only Catholics could sight read-it and say it properly. :rotflmao:

Algonquin: thanks for the props on the name Alessa. While just about everybody comments "...what a pretty name"; most people butcher it when it comes to pronouncing it. Let's see........common errors come out to....Eliza....Alicia.....Alyssa...etc.......etc. Poor kid. :D

For those of you who have been following Alessa's (a/k/a The Coma Kid) story.......a very brief update.......she is doing GREAT.....her ketamine boosters are scheduled for every 3 months......she has friends.......she has a life.....she walks, climbs stairs, etc........she isn't allowed to ride a bike though....she goes out and enjoys her new-found life......she might take a couple of online classes this spring......she hopes to start at Temple University as an almost 23 yr old freshman next September.......she drinks BEER now. :D :beer:

Oh yeah, she had been told one of the gazillion things she was allergic to and couldn't have was BEER (allergy to hops and barley)......turns out some of her allergies were really off-shoots of her RSD.....so the doc in Germany, told us that BEER interacts favorably with the ketamine and for her to have a beer or two on occasion.......we told him about the allergy.......he opined strongly that he thought she'd be fine if she had a beer......he was RIGHT!

sunvalleylaw
November 13th, 2008, 11:57 PM
That is trippy that you say that about only Catholics sight reading the spelling since I am the product of 8 years of education from Fransiscan Nuns, and 4 years with the Jesuits and I don't think I have mentioned that too much. Oh, and my wife's old softball friends used to call my Steffawn, accent on the second syllable. :rotflmao:

So glad to hear about the amazing news about your girl. Thanks for the update!

Kazz
November 14th, 2008, 05:34 AM
<------Stephen.....and have been called Steffen...and Stephanie....way too many times to count.....on a side note....

My step-father was a firefighter and firefighters received discounted classes at the local Ymca.....but step children did not qualify....so he had me sign up for Tai Kwan Do and Judo classes using his biological Sons name......guess what it was.....come...on.....somebody guess.......yep....you got it....

Mark.

Bloozcat
November 14th, 2008, 07:34 AM
So.....which famous person are you then? :dude:

Shhhhh...it's still a secret. You've heard of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous?

I'm Lifestyles of the Rich and Anonymous. You know, the one where they digitally blur out your face while they display your life of conspicuous consumption? Yep, that's me....( uh-huh, right...:rolleyes:)

BTW: Cool avatar Tone...SEAL Team 6?

Tone2TheBone
November 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Shhhhh...it's still a secret. You've heard of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous?

I'm Lifestyles of the Rich and Anonymous. You know, the one where they digitally blur out your face while they display your life of conspicuous consumption? Yep, that's me....( uh-huh, right...:rolleyes:)

BTW: Cool avatar Tone...SEAL Team 6?

No. Solid Snake from the Metal Gear Solid series. We need a shooter smiley. :)

ShortBuSX
November 14th, 2008, 10:18 AM
My name is Neal

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40127000/gif/_40127544_students_203152.gif

marnold
November 14th, 2008, 12:15 PM
My name is Neal

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40127000/gif/_40127544_students_203152.gif
That brought a smile to my face. I haven't watched The Young Ones in forever.

pes_laul
November 14th, 2008, 12:36 PM
No. Solid Snake from the Metal Gear Solid series. We need a shooter smiley. :)
well tone being one of the only games of played that actually is "naked" snake from Metal gear solid three (or big boss from the first two games)

well thats probably the only video game smart thing I'll ever say:pancake: