PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Trick

Spudman
June 13th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Yes, the boys (now older men) from Illinois are at it again. The new album "Rockford" has them in top form. It sounds like the Cheap Trick we all remember and then some. Almost like Paul McCartney with balls and more rock n roll. It's a very UP album and they are on fire.

The songs are catchy without being cheesy and the production is very very good. Lead vocals and the lush harmonies are spot on and way easy to listen to. And the guitars...wow! Rick Nielsen gets the thickest guitar sound ever.
I'm really digging this album a lot. There are long song clips and a great interview with Bun E. Carlos at their web site

http://www.cheaptrick.com/

When their web page loads so does the music and interview. Perfect for a listen while you look around their cool site. These guys have been together for 30 years!

Hey! It's Rock n Roll! Get this!

Nelskie
June 14th, 2006, 06:57 AM
*NEW* TRICK?!! Awesome! Kind of surprised about hearing absolutely nothing about it - - anywhere. Guitar mags, music sites, etc. I do hit their website from time-to-time, but haven't for a few months. Glad you posted the news, Spud.

Man, I remember when Live at Budokan came out back in '77, and the Tricksters were on the top of the heap. You couldn't turn on your radio on w/o hearing Surrender, I Want You To Want Me, or Ain't That A Shame. And Dream Police . . . absolutely HUGE album. These guys have an enormous repetoire of music, and pretty much all of it is good.

We were lucky enough to catch the boys last summer at our local fair. They looked and sounded great, and played just about everything you'd want to hear - even a few B-sides! They also hold the honor of being the rock band I've seen the most times live - (8) shows in all! And every one of those shows was FANTASTIC!

Anyways, here's a couple of snaps from last year's show at the fair. Front row, of course! ;)

Katastrophe
June 14th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Outstanding link, Spudman! The song clips are great, Nielsen's tones are thick, and Zander's voice sounds as strong as it ever was.

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the headsup Spudster. I think I still have my Live at Budokan 8 track somewhere!

Spudman
June 14th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the headsup Spudster. I think I still have my Live at Budokan 8 track somewhere!

What's an 8 track? ;)

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Haha You know....it's one of those things that sits in a box next to a bunch of things called 'pencils' in some dark place inside our homes. :)

Spudman
June 14th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Haha You know....it's one of those things that sits in a box next to a bunch of things called 'pencils' in some dark place inside our homes. :)

Well... when I get done vacuuming out my pencil box I'm going to listen to this Cheap Trick album again. It's really infectious.

Spudman
January 8th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I listened to a great Cheap Trick interview on NPR today on the World Cafe.

It features Rick Neilsen and Robin Zander playing in the studio acoustically and a great interview about the music business and how they have managed it through the years.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6625574

EDIT: I just discovered that this link only lets you listen to about the first 10 minutes of the interview. Too bad.

Mark
January 8th, 2007, 05:52 PM
You know every time I see pixs of one of these older groups. I say to myself boy they sure are getting older. HeHe like its just them that got caught up in this aging routine......then I look in a mirror. It just doesnt feel like they have been around 30 years but they have.

duhvoodooman
January 8th, 2007, 05:58 PM
You know every time I see pixs of one of these older groups. I say to myself boy they sure are getting older....
It's all a matter of perspective. I still think of these guys as a newer band! :eek:

Guess that's what growing up with the Beatles and Stones will do! ;)

P.S. But I don't care how old/young he is--Eddie Van Halen looks like CRAP these days!!

tot_Ou_tard
January 8th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Yes, the boys (now older men) from Illinois are at it again. The new album "Rockford" has them in top form. It sounds like the Cheap Trick we all remember and then some. Almost like Paul McCartney with balls and more rock n roll. It's a very UP album and they are on fire.

I agree wholeheartedly. Fantastic stuff that manages to bring back memerories while being very fresh and new. The Beatlesque comment is dead on.

Thanks Spud!

Spudman
January 8th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Has ayone else tried the NPR link? Maybe you get the whole thing?

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Hey, thanks for the link to the music. Great stuff! Will see if I can get to the 10 min of interview this week.