PDA

View Full Version : Bonamassa amp and pedal presentation

Jimi75
November 13th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I've come across this very nice little video of a newer date where Joe demonstrates his live rig. Nice playing, nice tones.

I2yHFbT63ug

oldguy
November 13th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Thanks Jimi! Watched while having my morning coffee....nice way to start the day.:AOK:

duhvoodooman
November 13th, 2008, 06:33 AM
LOVE the Robben Ford tone on that Van Weelden amp!! They all sound great, but that one in particular really impressed me....

Robert
November 13th, 2008, 08:05 AM
He has one cab wet with effects and one dry, right? What is the purpose of this?

Is it blended together somehow after miking the cabs?

Lev
November 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I think it has something to do with how he gets that big reverb echo sould. He posted this on his website a while back....

"Hey everybody....
Heres how you do the delay thing.. 1st ( Jim your right) you need a wet and a delay amp.. Preferably two different kinds of overdrive. ex.Marshall/lFender or Marshall / Dumble.. Those are the two I use.. One side ( Marshall) put a DD-3 with all knobs set to 12 oclock, you may have to tweek them depending on the unit itself.. I have 6 DD-3s and they all sound a little different..Keeley makes a good version with a analog switch thats my current fav. Next take your Fender/ Dumble style amp use a out board reverb (ex Boss digital reverb or old fender spring) or if your amp has reverb so much the better. Disclaimer: the old Fender springs are a constant battle to keep working.. They sound great but are the crutch of my existence right now.. I carry 3, two in the trailer and one on the bus. Maybe one works right on any given day.. maybe... So delay on one side reverb on the other. This makes it all naturally separate both on stage and in the house.. Next is the most imortant thing. The Delay must be run through the effects loop.. Running a delay in front the amp is extremely difficult to handle. It runs away from you and its hard to control. The effects loop is the only answer.. Now as far as effects loops are concerned. Standard Marshall ones wired in series are the best.. Stay away from the ones wired parallel with all the knobs and controls and switches. They are way too much work and render poor results.. The rest is personal taste.. more subtle or wet or inbetween is up to you.. Its also important to realize that this is not my original recipe, its Eric Johnson's circa 1988. Got to give credit were its due. Lots of racking my brain trying to figure that one out. Thanks Joe Bonamassa"

full thread here:http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1377

Tone2TheBone
November 13th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Yeahhhhh love that Fuzz Face. Loved all those tones. Joe is a super nice guy.

marnold
November 13th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Boy, if the poor guy could just get some chops he could really make a name for himself ;)

sunvalleylaw
November 13th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Hey Tone, I believe he said the magic words "Silver Jubilee"! Incredible sounds. I need to listen to more of him. He is in a different style from what I have been focusing on lately, and is SO good!

It is interesting that he has a Two Rock as well.

Andy
November 13th, 2008, 11:07 AM
nice sounds and riffage

oldguy
November 13th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the quote, Lev.
I thought there was a familiar Eric Johnson vibe somewhere in that video.....
and he gave credit where due. Very nice man, very awesome player.:AOK:

Andy
November 13th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I will admit I had never heard of Joe Bonnamassa before this forum and I must say My style is very much like his (if this video is any indication of his style).

as a side note***
I know how much people like to see videos or hear mp3's of people playing on this forum and I am behind on uploading something , however I do not have a video cam or direct computer interface.

but,as soon as I can borrow my brothers fancy new video cam I will record and post something, even my brother has been bugging me about it...lol .

hopefully this weekend I can post something tangeable.
because I sure appreciate hearing and seeing others play on this forum, It really clarifys where people are coming from, and I really enjoy watching/hearing them.

sorry to get OT , Joe rocks and I like his personality, thanks for posting it

sumitomo
November 13th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Wow! Andy way cool I know were all in for a treat,cause I know you would have not opened your mouth if you could'nt fill those shoes.Sumi:D

Andy
November 13th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Wow! Andy way cool I know were all in for a treat,cause I know you would have not opened your mouth if you could'nt fill those shoes.Sumi:D

Woaaah Sumi , Im no Joe Bonnamassa..!
I just feel that I have a simular style(but nowhere near as good !)
Now i'm scared to post something. lol

sumitomo
November 13th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Don't sell yourself short Andy,I like you positive attitude about your playing,that's how I am about cars I'm the master.Just let the music flow Andy and we will enjoy it.Sumi:D

oldguy
November 16th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I think it has something to do with how he gets that big reverb echo sould. He posted this on his website a while back....

"Hey everybody....
Heres how you do the delay thing.. 1st ( Jim your right) you need a wet and a delay amp.. Preferably two different kinds of overdrive. ex.Marshall/lFender or Marshall / Dumble.. Those are the two I use.. One side ( Marshall) put a DD-3 with all knobs set to 12 oclock, you may have to tweek them depending on the unit itself.. I have 6 DD-3s and they all sound a little different..Keeley makes a good version with a analog switch thats my current fav. Next take your Fender/ Dumble style amp use a out board reverb (ex Boss digital reverb or old fender spring) or if your amp has reverb so much the better. Disclaimer: the old Fender springs are a constant battle to keep working.. They sound great but are the crutch of my existence right now.. I carry 3, two in the trailer and one on the bus. Maybe one works right on any given day.. maybe... So delay on one side reverb on the other. This makes it all naturally separate both on stage and in the house.. Next is the most imortant thing. The Delay must be run through the effects loop.. Running a delay in front the amp is extremely difficult to handle. It runs away from you and its hard to control. The effects loop is the only answer.. Now as far as effects loops are concerned. Standard Marshall ones wired in series are the best.. Stay away from the ones wired parallel with all the knobs and controls and switches. They are way too much work and render poor results.. The rest is personal taste.. more subtle or wet or inbetween is up to you.. Its also important to realize that this is not my original recipe, its Eric Johnson's circa 1988. Got to give credit were its due. Lots of racking my brain trying to figure that one out. Thanks Joe Bonamassa"

full thread here:http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1377

I actually tried a very crude version of this today.........it went something like this........

Traynor YCV-40 w/ reverb set clean......Ceriatone Overtone Special set clean/then boosted w/ Digitech Digidelay......split the signal w/ the Bad Monkey to both amphs....didn't work too bad. Of course it didn't even sound close to the video posted, but it did give a big full sound to the living room.
I'd encourage people to give it a try and see what they think. The more you experiment with gear and sounds, the more possibilities you open up for your playing........and sometimes you don't need to spend more for gear, you can find new sounds by just trying something different with what you have on hand.:)