PDA

View Full Version : If you could see one Hendrix concert live

Jimi75
November 13th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Imagine you could go back in time and see Jimi Hendrix live for just one concert. Which one would that be? I put the well known ones to chose from.

I would go and see the Berkeley gig. I have always been fascinated by that concert. Jimi seems totally clean in the head and hey, he shaved his moustache for that concert. The sound is superb and the location is too and Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell give him the best rhythm background he ever had! I once heard a tape of the soundcheck for that concert and this was already better than most bands in the world will ever get!

:master:

sunvalleylaw
November 13th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I have not seen enough vid or heard enough recordings to really know, but for right now, I will vote Monterey Pop festival, because it seems there was so much energy stored up for the U.S. debut.

R_of_G
November 13th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I have many of these shows, as I'm sure a lot of other folks here do as well. There are definitely some great options. That said, if I could go back in time and see Hendrix play just once, it wouldn't be any of these. I'd much rather go to the Record Plant studios for the 1969 session that Jimi did with modal organ legend Larry Young. With Mitchell and Cox as a rhythm section, Jimi and Larry played music that was so different for Jimi. I listen to the recording all the time, but I'd have loved to watch it happen.

oldguy
November 13th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I vote with Sunvalley..........lots of stored energy, great music.

Robert
November 13th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I haven't even heard all of those performances! Where can I get them all? Tremoloman, are you out there?

F_BSurfer
November 13th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I voted monterey just the whole atmosphere and energy

Tone2TheBone
November 13th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I have to go with Monterey definitely.

Andy
November 13th, 2008, 10:35 AM
The original linup at Royal Albert Hall was annother blistering performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu6mi5-5Flw&feature=related

sunvalleylaw
November 13th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I have to go with Monterey definitely.

Monterey is such a cool town too.

Andy
November 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Here's a pic I scanned this morning of Billy cox,right after he got back from working on the Band of Gypsies dvd. I have better ones but they are framed right now.
Billy used to run a pawnshop in Nashville and anyone was welcome to stop in and chat with him about hendrix. And I did on several occasions. One of the nicest people I ever met. The shop has since closed or moved (4-5 yrs ago).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/stymye/Les%20Paul/billycox.jpg

SuperSwede
November 13th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Live in Stockholm ´69!

Amazing show (I´ve seen it on TV)

mechanic
November 14th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I chose Woodstock.
'cause if I was there (again?) I'd get to check out all the other artists too!
"starts chant" : no rain, no rain, no rain ,no rain............