PDA

View Full Version : Jimi Hendrick’s Chords

Tim
June 14th, 2006, 04:53 AM
I was reading an article the other day which mentioned “Jimi Hendrick’s chords”. Is anybody familiar with these chords? From what I read they are not new chords but chord inversions. These chords allowed him to play licks on top of chords easier and faster. I am searching the internet for a website that explains them in detail.

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Using your thumb for the root instead of barring?

Iago
June 14th, 2006, 08:01 AM
I`ve heard about Jimi HendriX :D

The most peculiar was probably that one he made between the notes G and F on Little Wing, letting the G string ring, which he also used on the Castles Made of Sand intro... besides that one I can`t remeber of any particular chord...

Iago
June 14th, 2006, 08:06 AM
now that T2B said.. there are the "thumb chords" too.. I think i never saw Jimi doing a full barre chord using his index finger.. he would always play power chords or use his thumb on the low E string

aeolian
June 14th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Several years ago when I was taking guitar lessons my teacher told me that the Jimi Hendrix chord (just one) is the sharp 9th chord. The reason is that he used it a lot and is a kind of a signature for his voicing. An example would be at the beginning of Purple Haze where after the intro the first chord is a D sharp 9 followed by G and A (going by memory here). The D sharp 9 is played this way:

X
x

That's what I was told.

aeolian

Tim
June 14th, 2006, 09:50 AM
I know about the thumb being used to help make chords. I have seen many other guitar players using this technique. My fingers are too small to perform that feat. That is not what I meant.

These are movable chords all along the fret board (not the Watch Tower). Only the middle four strings are played.

In addressing the “C” chord: instead of putting your index on the 5th string third fret (the “C” note), you place the ring finger on the 5th string 7 fret (the “E” note). It is suppose to be an inversion of the “C” chord. It allows playing notes behind the fretted 5th barre without lifting it off the fret board.

I will attempt to upload a excel file indicating the difference between the two chords.

jpfeifer
June 14th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Hi Tim,

I think that I know what you're referring to here.
My favorite part of Hendrix's style was the way he played chords. He didn't use standard voicings like barre chords and the like. Often he would just play a few notes to imply a chord and create all of these slippery, glassy, sounding lines around the chord notes to imply the chord that he was playing rather than staying on one chord shape like a barre chord. His opening part to "Little Wing" is a prime example of his approach to chords (that's a materpiece in my opinion).

The chord that you're talking about is one that he used a lot where he would put the major 3'rd in the bass rather than the root. Listen to "The Wind Cries Mary" where he uses this chord a lot. For a C major chord you would form this voicing by playing 5th-string 7th fret, 4th-string 5th fret, 3rd-string 5th fret, 2nd string 5th fret. This is what they would call the first inversion of a major chord. You're playing the 3rd in the bass instead of the root, but it's still just a C major chord.

Another example of the use of this chord is with the Dobbie Brothers. These guys must have been inspired by Hendrix because they used this chord voicing a lot in their songs. Check out "Listen to the Music". That rhythm guitar part is made with this particular voicing for an E major chord. Just take that shape and move it up to the 9th fret and you have the basic shape you need for that opening part. Just use hammer-on's for the bass note going from the 5th-string 9th fret to 5th-string 11th fret with your 3rd finger. Leave your index finger covering the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd strings on the 9th fret.

-- Jim

Iago
June 14th, 2006, 09:49 PM
i used to do those inversions a lot, cause i began playing on a classical acoustic with a huge neck..and my hands were so small (they still are!) so that was the only way for me to play some stuff like a F chord... so when i was 14, for a while, i thought i had created it! hahahah stupid kid..

Tim
June 15th, 2006, 04:01 AM
... for a while, i thought i had created it! hahahah stupid kid..

Easy there Iago. Don’t be too rough on yourself. It be best that you just say that you were guitar challenged back in those younger days. Heck, I am guitar challenged right now. But I am making slow progress.

Iago
June 15th, 2006, 07:44 AM
ok ok pops.. :D I`ll take it easy!

and Im still guitar challenged! I dont know why but I prefer big round neck profiles even now... I don`t know if it has something to do with my past playing my stepfather`s classical... oh that should be another thread! :)

ibanez_freak36
June 21st, 2006, 06:45 AM
Hi Tim, the " Jimmy" Chords are really hard to figure out. If you can invision it like this: Most of the time he uses an inverted power chord in the 5th position with the thumb on the root note as stated by several misicians in this frame. Jimmy had long fingers and could easily wrap them around the neck. Angus Young uses this feature too on the " Highway to Hell" intro going for the D supended chord to the F sharp-A combo note all together anchoring the thumb and hitting the other notes together. Hope that helps

Chris

tremoloman
June 21st, 2006, 09:12 AM
Another big part of Jimi's style was using an open string while playing power chords. Just listen to '3rd Stone From The Sun' or 'Ezy Ryder' and you will hear exactly what I'm talking about. I use this method often as it allows you to move all over the fretboard playing various phrases while easily staying in key when playing in the key of E, A, or G.

I've got a video from the Japan magazine 'Young Guitar' that features Nuno Bettencourt showing how Jimi did this and how great it works playing funk or jamming to. If I can find it I'll throw it up on youtube.com for ya Tim.

BTW: I'm resending the Mike Oldfield DVDs this week for you. Sorry for the delay.