PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Classic / Delta Blues Thread

Nelskie
June 14th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Recently got word that another Fretter has joined our small, but enthusiastic brethren of Peavey tube amp players. I wish I could say I am surprised, but having been a Classic 30 player for nigh on (11) years, I know how fantastic these amps sound - esp. with a few mods, and running through various pedals. That, and the fact that about myself and about a billion other guitarists / bassists have owned a piece of Peavey gear at some point in their playing career.

When I initially bought the amp, I traded in a Yamaha 112II solid-state in on it, and was entering into relatively unchartered territory. I had played SS amps pretty much since the beginning ('83), and after reading several Guitar Player articles on vintage tube amps, decided that it was time to see how the other half lived. Even as a brand-spankin' new amp, the Classic 30 was pretty reasonably priced at $400 (back in '95). My Epi Les Paul sounded dynamite through it (and that was bone-stock), so it wasn't a very difficult choice. Money, at that time, was a factor in my world, so the Peavey option provided me with a great-sounding, all-tube amp, and enough money left over for food and rent. As well, it was about as close to a Fender-sounding amp (which is what I really wanted) as one could hope for at the price.

Now that I've had the amp for awhile, and my playing style and musical tastes have evolved even more, I've really come to appreciate it. Even in nstock form, the cleans are rich and musical, and the OD tones wide and crunchy. Add some hot-rod tubes (J & J's), and a different speaker (Celestion Vintage 30) - voila', even more fantastic tone. I was also lucky enough to score a matching Classic 112E extension cabinet about a year or so ago, which further enhanced the overall sound of the amp, not to mention its usefulness as a live rig. Adding a contrasting aftermarket speaker (12" Eminence Swamp Thang) has added a newfound complexity and character to the overall sound of the amp / cab combo.

About two weeks ago, I won a Tonebone Classic distortion pedal on an Ebay auction, and have once again been amazed at the tonal territory the Classic 30 can cover. Without a doubt, this amp will be with me for the full duration of my playing days.

I always see a lot of Classic 30's on Ebay, and for the $$, they're a fantastic option for players looking to get into a good tube amp without breaking the bank. The Delta Blues are basically the same amp, but with a couple of different twists (15" speaker vs the C30's 12"; built-in tremelo effect). The Delta's are not as common on Ebay, though they do pop up from time-to-time. Both of which get me to thinking that: 1.) these amps are finally getting the much-deserved credit that they are due; and 2.) that they aren't that much of a secret anymore.

Besides waving my flag for these great amps, I also thought it would be cool to have a place for other Peavey players to congregate, and share some info on mods, amp settings, pedals that sound good through them, etc.

Robert
June 14th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks Nelskie, those are great amps for sure. Now for the allmight question - how do they compare to the new Peavey Valve King? It is getting really good reviews.

Cheap too - $400! See -
http://www.zzounds.com/a--885181/item--PEVVKING112

duhvoodooman
June 14th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Well, I've commented on this subject here before, but always happy to sing the praises of my Peavey Delta Blues! I got this amp used but in truly "almost new" condition off eBay for a bit over $300, and I consider it to be borderline grand larceny, at that price. This was my entree into the world of all-tube amps, and I'm happy I took the plunge. Clean or dirty, you can't beat that warm, rich tube tone. And you wouldn't believe how loud 30W can be! The tweed tolex makes for a retro-cool look, too.

I find the overdriven channel perfect for a nice raunchy blues tone, but if you want to use this amp for Grunge or Metal, look elsewhere. I also like the clean channel, either as is or with my Tone Driver or Bad Monkey pedals in front. The latter is particularly nice for a warmer, smoother overdrive. The amp has both Reverb and Tremolo, the former of which I use constantly, and the latter, almost never. But if I ever have a serious Dick Dale attack, it will come in handy. Seriously, I've read a couple of places where the DB's tremolo is considered to be a very good sounding one. This amp also has an effects loop, which is very desirable, especially for time-based effects like delay or chorus.

In addition to the 1x15" speaker configuration I have, they also make a 2x10" version. I've seen both up for bid on eBay, for about the same price. Mid-$300's is typical.

One last note--the tubes are super-easy to get at on this amp, hanging down from the bottom of the chassis and readily accessible due to the open-back design (see HERE (http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/DB_back.jpg). There are a total of seven tubes--three 12AX7 preamp tubes and four EL84 power tubes. I replaced the stock Sovteks (a ubiquitous Russian tube that tends to lack warmth and clarity) with JJ's from Eurotubes.com. AAMOF, they offer several different retube package options for the Peavey Classic/Delta Blues series of amps, depending upon the sound you're looking for. But I've also swapped in some other NOS tubes and played around with different gain factor variations of the 12A_7 tube family, like a 12AT7, a 5751 and a 12DW7, to see the tonal effects. It's fun to play around and see what you get!

Nelskie
June 14th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks Nelskie, those are great amps for sure. Now for the allmight question - how do they compare to the new Peavey Valve King?
You're right, Robert - the VK's are some really nice amps. I've played through a couple of the 112's down at my local shop, and I like what I hear. Without getting into a whole lot of detail, here's how I would compare the differences:

1.) Tone - The VK has a patented feature that blends the tonal characteristics of Class A & A/B architecture. To me, the VK has more of a "British" flavour than my Classic 30 - as in tones more akin to Vox and Marshall amplifiers. Also seems to be a bit darker on the bottom end, again al-a Marshall amps. Moving the control towards the Class A side yields a brighter, more mid-rangey tone. All-in-all, there's tons of usable sounds in this amp just waiting to be let out.

2.) Speaker - The factory speaker that comes in the VK has a very nice overall balance, not yielding to one variance over the other. Again, I think this was done to enhance the A/B blending feature of the amp, which was wise choice from the production end of things. Given your musical preference and playing style, the speaker change-out would offer loads of interesting options on this amp. For instance, if you liked the Marshall sound more, a Celestion Vintage 30 or Eminence Governor / Wizard might really make some cool things happen in the tone dept.

3.) Aesthetics - I love what Peavey did with this amp from the aspect of visuals, which are reminiscent of the classic Fender Blackface look, though still with a modern feel. This amp would look great behind you on any stage, or perched in a prominent place in your home studio.

4.) Power - 50W of all-tube power sounds good any way you cut it. However, this amp really shines with the volume level up, esp. with that tonal blending feature. I recall one of our Fretters doing a post awhile back, and he mentioned the same. This amp literally begs to be played live, and LOUD! The Classic 30 also has this same "play me loud NOW" vibe going for it, but only at the 30W level - which is still very loud for a tube amp.

I equate my Classic 30 to a poor man's Fender-style tweed amp, and that's still saying a lot, because it does have a sound all its own, although geared in the classic Fender vein. The Valve King might be considered a poor man's Marshall / Vox combo, with a smattering of Fender vibe thrown in for good measure. And at $400 bones, it's certainly a lot of amp for the money. And being a piece of "made in the USA" Peavey gear, you can be assured that it's designed for rugged use, and frequent high-volume playing. Like I've stated before, I'd have one of these already if it weren't for me owning a very capable Classic 30 rig.

That being said, I'm hoping that Spudman will do us all a favor and get one, so we can hear some sound clips of it in action. There's a rumor floating around that the Post 90's Amp Wing at his Gear Warehouse is relatively empty. ;)

Robert
June 14th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Well maybe I should get a Valve King to replace my Vox AD50VT? :eek: :eek:

I'll see if I can find one to try out. They seem like a great GAS medicine (temporary relief only, of course)!

Spudman
June 14th, 2006, 02:23 PM
That being said, I'm hoping that Spudman will do us all a favor and get one, so we can hear some sound clips of it in action. There's a rumor floating around that the Post 90's Amp Wing at his Gear Warehouse is relatively empty. ;)

Oh you are one wise acre. If you are really so clever then you would know that the 90's/2000 wing is not finished. My supplier ran out of mahogany paneling.;)

If I do find a 'killer' deal on a Valve King I'm sure going to get it, but I'm not sure that I can improve much on what I already have. That being the Marshall 50 watt and Crate Vintage Club 50 watt. I might just skip it all together...unless...

I started out with a Classic 20 that I picked up in 1998 and was in fact playing it with a Rat while reading this thread. That amp has no reverb and does sound more 'British' to me than the C 30. Great tones for lower volume house playing albeit dry sounding. I got the C30 within a year of the C20 and actually prefer the C30 around the house.

I've been jamming with friends that use the Delta Blues with a 15" speaker. It's actually the house amp for the gig place. Who ever plays that amp is always the loudest no matter what. Even compared to a Marshall 100 watt with 2x12 cabinet. I've never looked where the volume knob ends up but I'm sure it's probably half way or more. The tone is almost always the best on the stage out of 3 sometimes 4 guitarists. Even with my Classic 30 I'm still not in the same tone league with the Delta. Close but a little different. I think it might be the 15" speaker.

That said, the C30 is indeed a wonderful, portable and respectable loud amp for any occasion. Metal...nope. Great tone and smooth satisfying grind...yes! With the master volume down low and the pre volume up full it does have more of that LA hair metal sound, but when the master volume comes up it just turns into that wonderful gutsy soulful tone. Maybe in a recording situation it would work at low volume, but they are best turned up. I have yet to try mine with another cabinet. I sold my last extension cabinet. I had to say that to prove that I do have gear going out as well.

I have been reading some information on modifications being done to the C30's, but I think I'll keep mine as is because it sounds so great. The only thing that I will even consider is tube selection and possibly a 1x12 extension cabinet.

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Man I wish I could back up my claims with some photos of my NEW PEAVEY CLASSIC 30 AMP! Well used actually....but new to me...and still in layaway land. :( Hopefully she'll be singing sweetly in her new home within the next week or so. From first seeing it and playing it in the store I was smitten. I'm glad Nelskie started this thread because I plan on adding a lot to it once I get mine....but I also want to stoke the fires of my desires by hearing more about all your Classics guys so....post post post!

Nelskie
June 14th, 2006, 05:39 PM
. . . but I also want to stoke the fires of my desires by hearing more about all your Classics guys so....post post post!
Tone - my intentions all along. Your recent amp acquisition was indeed the seed that started this thread, and I knew you'd need some type of fix to sustain yourself until you bring your Classic 30 home.

I'm not sure if anyone is aware of this little mod, but there is a retailer on Ebay (dan*electro) that sells a really nice metal tube guard for the Delta / Classic series amps. It's $20 + $6 shipping, and the dude who sells 'em is a great guy to deal with. The guard comes nicely packaged in a Priority Mail shipping box, so no worries about it getting whacked / bent by the postal gorillas on its way to you. Best part is that it's an easy install, and looks factory-applied. I've had mine on for a year or so - installed it right after I put in my new J & J's. Being that the tubes are unprotected (or at least on the older models like mine they are), the guard is a good idea - esp. if you're like DVM, and have a bunch of those fancy NOS tubes. Anyways - you can check one of these guards on Ebay by doing a search on "peavey tube guard". I've attached some snaps below.

Spudman
June 14th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Hey! Isn't that just the front grille from the Vox AD amps?:D

Robert
June 14th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Tone, so you went shopping now did ya!? Awesome! I feel like I must get, must get, must get, must get, must get (oh the mantra snuck up on me) another amp too now...!

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Ahhhhh SWEEEEET Nelskie thanks for showing me that tube guard I'm definately gonna Pay Pal one of those!

Spud - *poke*!

Rob - I beat you man. Sorry!..but you still have time to get a new amp if you hurry!!! I honestly think you would like either the Classic series or the new Valve King based on your good ear for sweet tone. Go out and play some!

Katastrophe
June 15th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Ya know, I was gonna post this in another thread, but this seems appropriate to put my comments here.

I now understand what you "tubeheads" mean about tube amphs and that elusive quality that we call "warmth."

I was working a second job this past weekend, at a big festival that we have in our area every year. At any time on Saturday, there are at least two bands playing, of quality entertainment. One of the bands was a Cajun / Zydeco style band, complete with a dude playing accordion, and another playing a washboard strapped to his chest.

The guitar player was playing what looked like a Les Paul Studio, with a very cool weathered brown finish, and what *looked* to me like a Classic 30, based on photos I've seen.

I was VERY impressed by the volume level this relatively low wattage amph put out. The guitar players tone, however, was phenomenal. It wasn't what I would call mind blowing metal distortion. The sustain in his sound was coming from the guitar, not by gain levels set to stun. It was, for lack of a better term, warm. Dude's playing wasn't bad either.

At that point, I wanted to ditch the Digitech, toss the SS amp out the window and go buy one of those Classic 30's. I think I'm starting to go through a sea change here in terms of equipment, to match the change my playing style has gone through recently. It just may be time to sell off the ESP, Digitech and Crate and go for a more organic sound.

Keep up posts like these, guys. Good stuff for me and the others to check out!:DR :R

Nelskie
June 15th, 2006, 07:10 AM
. . . I think I'm starting to go through a sea change here in terms of equipment, to match the change my playing style has gone through recently. It just may be time to sell off the ESP, Digitech and Crate and go for a more organic sound . .
It happens to all of us sooner of later, Kat. In my case, I was a SS player for nearly (12) years before I bought my first tube amp - my Classic 30. And it was more out of a case for curiosity than me knowing anything about the organic warmth and tone that an all-tube amp offers. That I found out later.

Solid-state amps offer players dependability and consistency as far as amp performance goes, and being a PODxt player myself, I won't knock SS tone-wise, either. But there's something totally different about playing a tube amp vs. a SS amp, and some of those things you've already pointed in your previous post. That being said, perhaps a tube amp is what you need to take that next step in your own playing. Or at the least, explore it further. That way, you'll have firm basis to decide whether all-tube or SS is the way to go for you.

Like I said in my original post, there's always loads of Classic 30's on Ebay - it might be a good place to begin your search. There's also the Classic 50 model, which comes in both 2x12 and 4x10 flavors. My buddy has the 4x10 version, and it's a gigging machine with loads of killer tone. Epiphone also offers a nice-sounding tube combo in the Valve Standard / Deluxe, though you might need more wattage since you're gigging. The Fender Deluxe / DeVille series amps are a little spendier, but those extra bones will get you into that pristine Fender tube tone. Long and short: play a bunch and see what you like. ;)

duhvoodooman
June 15th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Like I said in my original post, there's always loads of Classic 30's on Ebay - it might be a good place to begin your search. There's also the Classic 50 model, which comes in both 2x12 and 4x10 flavors. My buddy has the 4x10 version, and it's a gigging machine with loads of killer tone. Epiphone also offers a nice-sounding tube combo in the Valve Standard / Deluxe, though you might need more wattage since you're gigging. The Fender Deluxe / DeVille series amps are a little spendier, but those extra bones will get you into that pristine Fender tube tone....
One other amp to mention here--the "MIA" Epiphone Blues Custom. I've yet to see where anybody has actually played one of these things, but they look GREAT on paper. The fact that they were announced so long ago and still aren't available smacks of design or manufacturing problems during model launch, but maybe Gibson is just trying to generate pre-release interest? In any case, I'm dying to read what the first Fretter who buys one has to say about it!

Robert
June 15th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Yeah Kat, go try some different tube amps in a store and see what you like. Amps to try - Fenders, Peavey Valve King/Classic/Triple X, Crate V-series, Traynor YCV40/50, Epiphone, Gibson, Rivera Clubster/Pubster, etc...

Nelskie
June 15th, 2006, 09:34 AM
. . . The fact that they were announced so long ago and still aren't available smacks of design or manufacturing problems during model launch, but maybe Gibson is just trying to generate pre-release interest?

DVM - My take on it is that it is purely a marketing ploy initiated to capitalize on the huge success of their Valve series amplifiers. Intelligent marketers know that anytime you can reach customers who are already familiar with, or own your product(s), there is a better-than-average chance that he / she will be willing to take a step up to a better, more expensive product. And with the new Blues Custom having the benefit of a rectifier tube, chances are pretty good that these amps will fly out of warehouses just like the Valve series amps did.

By the way, these amps are due to hit most of the larger online music retailers on / around 7/5/06. Or, at least that's what the e-mail I received from Music123 said.

duhvoodooman
June 15th, 2006, 11:24 AM
By the way, these amps are due to hit most of the larger online music retailers on / around 7/5/06. Or, at least that's what the e-mail I received from Music123 said.
I assume they'll probably show up on the floor of my local Guitar Center about that same time, then. Guess I'm going to need something at GC about then, and will just have to stop in and check it out for myself.... :DR

Tone2TheBone
June 15th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Update: Picking up Classic 30 in less than an hour. Photos will be forthcoming. :)

duhvoodooman
June 15th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Update: Picking up Classic 30 in less than an hour. Photos will be forthcoming. :)
And sound clips, too, we hope!!! :DR

Tone2TheBone
June 15th, 2006, 07:21 PM
The Classic 30 is in da house!

Isn't she a beauty...I wish you could hear her...

I've had the tubes burning since I got home 3 hours ago and just took a small break to post these pics...

The tubes are stock I'm sure but overall the amp sounds lovely....has definition and gobs of tweed tone...

Shots of my beloved Strat and Les Paul leaning against her gorgeous frame....

More comments to come...however my first impressions (or second impressions from home) are excellent and this sweet amp sings and has clarity. A slightly different animal than my Silver Jubilee but a perfect companion!

Nelskie
June 15th, 2006, 07:46 PM
That's a super-clean rig you got there, Tone! She's a beauty indeed! ;)

duhvoodooman
June 15th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Beauty, T2TB!! Looks brand-spankin' new! And since I have those same 7 tubes in my DB, I have a pretty good idea how fine she sounds, too!

But clips would be better than my imagination! :D

Robert
June 15th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Looks like you're having fun, Tonester! Now you gotta recording something for us...

ZoSo65
June 19th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Well, I love my DB210! It sounds great!
Some people say the 210 is better for humbuckers and the 115 is better for single coils.
Well as far as I'm concerned, being I played my 2 axes, a couple strats, a couple LP's,,,it's all good.
I will eventually build a 1x15 external for it, to have the best of both worlds.

And about the gaurds, check out my thread from a while ago, when I let DVM know about the factory gaurd and the one on ebay.
DB and Classic Tube Gaurds (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=567&page=3) (it's about the 4th post down)

I like the idea of "factory" but it will have to be removed to replace the tubes, but at the same time, by the way it's built, it "should be" more durable because of the wrap around design.
But in the end which ever one is used, will offer a great deal of protection, without a doubt!

Tone2TheBone
June 20th, 2006, 09:02 AM
More comments here about my new amp. She just sings. The amp is voiced at a sweet midrange and slightly dark which is a good thing. The more you open her up the better she sounds. She loves both the Strat and the Les Paul giving different feel and tone for each instrument.

Playing it at past half volume is a blast as it's not skull jarring loud, but it sings to no end and it will still cut through a loud drummer very easily. Reminiscent of playing through my buddy from High School's cranked Fender tweed amp. Playing her at moderate to even soft volumes is still awesome. Plenty of tone capabilities there.

I took out the little tube retainer clips cause it seems they rattled against the bottles when loud. The 2 coolest things about the amp are the long spring reverb (nothing like the sound of spring reverb) and the footswitch that came with it. *thumbs up* It would have been cooler to have a switch that turned on the "boost" circuit too but it does not have this function. The boost circuit is a heapin' helpin' of mids that sounds really good on the Lester Paulio...but for the most part I run the amp in normal mode. I plan on getting that cool tube guard soon too. What have you guys done with your Classics?

blogan
June 20th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Okay, you guys have finally done it. I've gotta get a Classic 30. Imagine my surprise when I searched Craigslist this morning and found a black, old style Classic 30 for only $250. Unfortunately, it was posted a few days ago, so it might already be sold (ya think?! :(), but I sent off the e-mail asking about it. Wish me luck! :cool:

(And the rest of you guys, back off -- it's mine! :p)

duhvoodooman
June 20th, 2006, 06:15 PM
eBay has several....as always! :D

blogan
June 20th, 2006, 06:45 PM
eBay has several....as always! :D
True enough, but $250 for a 30 and no shipping cost seems like an awesome deal to me. :cool: That's more the cost of a 20.

Tone2TheBone
June 20th, 2006, 09:49 PM
The Classic line of Peaveys seem to be very popular. I know that the C20 that Warren has is the most coveted....however I have seen both C20 and C30 over at Bob's website in his personal gallery....(scroll down to the Peavey section)

http://eurotubes.com/euro-p.htm

It was by happenstance that I found my C30 although I had entertained the very idea of possessing one someday based on my talks with our Mr. Nelskie and by me playing through one once. Used prices are usually very good deals and if you find a good one between $250 and $350 I would highly recommend that you just find a way to get it. Skip those everyday fast food meals and save for one...really you're not spending a whole bunch of bones for something COOL and FUN. :)

blogan
June 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM
Yeah, if I could find a C20 for the price Warren paid, that would definitely be a no-brainer. I think I'd prefer the C30, though.

I'm a little bummed. I haven't heard from the seller of the C30. I think it's already sold and he's no longer checking his Craigslist e-mail. :(

Oh well, I'll continue to watch. Thrill of the hunt and all... ;)

r_a_smith3530
June 21st, 2006, 11:14 AM
Well, it looks like this thread developed while I was away. Congrats Tone, hope you like your new amph. I bought my Classic, the 50/410 back in 1994, and it has proved itself so dependable and versatile in the years since that I have never found the need for another guitar amp, except for my little Pignose that is (ya gotta have something that plays on batteries!). I've checked out a bunch, but never found anything that I like enough to give up my Classic 50 for.

Tone2TheBone
June 21st, 2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks Rob....I dig this amp....er amph. With it....I get screaming solos....

LMAO couldn't resist sorry. :)

SuperSwede
June 21st, 2006, 12:58 PM
WHAT! That is copyrighted material Tone! :D

Tone2TheBone
June 21st, 2006, 01:05 PM
SS - it's classic stuff I really wish I had invented that. heh

scottish_bluesman
October 4th, 2006, 04:03 PM
coming off as a big valve noob here
but is there a guide on removing and fitting new ones dont want to make a dogs dinner of it really

Tone2TheBone
October 4th, 2006, 04:09 PM
They're easily removeable. Rock the tubes out slowly and gently pull until they come out of the socket. Install them the same way making sure you don't bend the tube prongs.

Tone2TheBone
November 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Well dang it. All this talk about Peavey Classic amphs got me wanting one of those sweet tube guards and now I can't find the dood who makes them! Does anyone know where I can get one???? (panics)

Nelskie
November 20th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Well dang it. All this talk about Peavey Classic amphs got me wanting one of those sweet tube guards and now I can't find the dood who makes them! Does anyone know where I can get one???? (panics)
The guy's name is Dan Bartosik (dan*electro on Ebay). He makes these guards on the side, when he has time. When he gets a few made, he posts them on Ebay, and they sell very quickly. I am sure he'll have another batch of guards up soon (last ones were posted on Ebay around mid to late Oct.) You can contact him via Ebay (upper left part of page, "Contact Member"). Drop him a quick note, tell him what kind of amp you have, and leave him your e-mail address. He'll e-mail you back when he has some made up, and available on the 'bay. That's how it worked out for me. Here's the link:

http://myworld.ebay.com/dan*electro/

If your Peavey Classic / Delta series amp doesn't have one - - it should.

Tone2TheBone
November 20th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Thanks Nelskie! Yeah someone at home sorta bumped my amp with their leg and some of the EL84s were left angled which scared the hell out of me I thought they were bent! They weren't. I need the guard.

Nelskie
December 22nd, 2006, 09:13 AM
Seems like the Peavey Classic thread was lacking some techical information. I'd come across these two links some time ago, and they cover both basic and advanced modifications the amp. Myself, I haven't felt a need to go any further with the amp's tone, other than switching out the tubes, and dropping in a new Celestion Vintage 30. However, there may be other Fretters out there looking to modify theirs, who find some of this stuff interesting.

http://www.blueshawk.info/peavey_classic_30.htm (links at bottom of page)
http://www.blueguitar.org/ (* see comments below)

*NOTE - To get to the Peavey amp mods, click FTP Site Map on the upper left side of the page. Then, go to blue guitar / amps / Peavey, and it'll list all of the articles in .PDF and .ZIP format)

One of the mods that there is a "Tweed Bassman" mod, which is supposed to give the C30 a looser, raunchier feel (*the author's words, not mine.) Definitely sounds interesting.

The real question is this: now that these mods have been posted, how long will it be before DVM opens up his Delta? Inquiring minds want to know.:D

ZoSo65
December 31st, 2006, 02:59 PM
Just ordered some new tubes from Eurotubes, went with the Rock / High Gain Option,, for now :DR
Tube Tamer and Tube Guard on there way too ;)

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2007, 05:25 PM
My Classic 30 is being packed and shipped as of tomorrow. Should be here end of the week. I attached a couple pics in the other C-30 thread. Excitement is an understatement. :DR :D :DR

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2007, 06:01 PM
My Classic 30 is being packed and shipped as of tomorrow. Should be here end of the week. I attached a couple pics in the other C-30 thread. Excitement is an understatement. :DR :D :DR
*I'm* excited & I'm not getting a new amp.

Enjoy, Sunvalley!

duhvoodooman
January 1st, 2007, 06:30 PM
My Classic 30 is being packed and shipped as of tomorrow.
'Bout freakin' time you finally got an amp!! ;) :D :DR

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM
'Bout freakin' time you finally got an amp!! ;)

Yep, I'm paying for it from what I earn off o' the Cubs building your pedal!! :eek: :D :)

sunvalleylaw
January 22nd, 2007, 11:51 PM
Anyone seen or used one of these for their Peavey? Looks kind of cool. I stumbled on to it from a post by Spud re: this guy's strats he builds. I had also read someone's review of another attenuator recently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOLUMEBOX-FOR-PEAVEY-DELTA-BLUES-CLASSIC-30-50-212-5150_W0QQitemZ200070484172QQihZ010QQcategoryZ38076 QQcmdZViewItem

oldguy
January 23rd, 2007, 06:34 AM
Anyone seen or used one of these for their Peavey? Looks kind of cool. I stumbled on to it from a post by Spud re: this guy's strats he builds. I had also read someone's review of another attenuator recently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOLUMEBOX-FOR-PEAVEY-DELTA-BLUES-CLASSIC-30-50-212-5150_W0QQitemZ200070484172QQihZ010QQcategoryZ38076 QQcmdZViewItem

Steve, the one I have is actually like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Omnisonic-Tube-Amp-VOLUME-BOX-for-PEAVEY-Classic-30-50_W0QQitemZ130070399446QQihZ003QQcategoryZ43375QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

See how much cooler it is, with the numbers going to 11 and the semi-chicken head knob? :D
And I bought it and used it on my Traynor YCV Anniversary model for a long time, before I got the Hotplate.
Not what most think of as an attenuator, but it does allow for some nice preamp tube distortion at lower volumes, so in that sense, yes, it "attenuates", it won't give you that nice POWER amp distortion, tho.
What it will allow you to do is crank yer amp, get those preamp tubes cookin', and lower the volume w/ the little "volume box" knob. For the money it's not a bad deal, and will give you a little more flexibility over the gain side of the amp alone.
And if you are trying (and I'm just guessing here) to get some kind of "Crazy Horse" long singing overdriven sound, it will only get you in the ballpark, but that was good enough (for me) when I bought mine. :R

stingx
January 23rd, 2007, 06:39 AM
I have the Carl's Volume Box. The novelty wore off after two days. Get an attenuator. This doesn't even come close.

sunvalleylaw
January 23rd, 2007, 06:57 AM
....................Thanks guys!

oldguy
January 23rd, 2007, 07:15 AM
I have the Carl's Volume Box. The novelty wore off after two days. Get an attenuator. This doesn't even come close.

Sting's right about it not coming close, Steve. There is no comparing a Hotplate, w/ power tube distortion, to these little boxes.
I guess my point is if you want a little more flexible preamp disortion (and as I said, I was using it through a Traynor 40watter, different animal, for sure), it costs, what, $20?
If you want great sounding power amp distortion, Stingx is on the money, buy a "real" attenuator. But be prepared to pony up the $$$ for the sound, which is night and day different (and better).
Somewhere in the middle, $-wise, are some great OD units.
Just ask DVM, he might even build you one!:D :D

duhvoodooman
January 23rd, 2007, 07:52 AM
If you want something that falls between this little trinket and a major league attenuator like a THD Hot Plate ($200+), you might want to give one of THESE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1546) a try. For use with a low wattage amp (< 30W), I found it to work quite well and it doesn't kill tone like some are reported to do. Very simple resistive load attenuator that lets you crank up the power tubes and get to saturation without rupturing an eardrum, and quite reasonably priced. A used Weber Mini-Mass is another good alternative. That's what I was looking for on eBay when I found the TubeJuice.

sunvalleylaw
January 23rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks DVM. . . . . . .