PDA

View Full Version : New Job???

just strum
November 14th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Some of you know that I dread going to work for the company that I currently work for. It's a 88 to 94 mile round trip depending on the route, negative management style and recent cutbacks and buy-out offers. Bottom-line, it sucked.

A coworker left our company a week ago and I told him to keep me in mind. The next day he calls me and tells me to send him my resume. On Monday I get a call from a recruiter and we discussed a possible opportunity. I agreed to have them send in my information and she did. Just a couple hours later she calls and says the company is very excited about the opportunity to meet with me.

It ends up that the company is involved in landing gear, aerospace pumps, and aerospace valves. My background - 27 years of landing gear, aerospace pumps, and aerospace valves. I met with them yesterday and I felt the interview went well, but you never know. The recruiter was concerned because I had not interviewed in a while and she attempted to coach me. I told her I would have nothing to do with that, I would go in there and tell them exactly what I do and what I can do for them - no embellishment. I took over the interview and guided it in the direction I wanted it to go.

My goal was to get an offer on the first visit, but I knew the company never hires in that manner. Well, I didn't get the offer on the first interview, but I received a call today asking how soon I could come back in. Next week is very busy for me, so I had to schedule it for Friday. I passed that on to the recruiter and she called back to tell me to make it 11:30 and that two directors and the COO want to take me to lunch.

Now, if I can hit a grand slam on Friday, it should be a new job for me or disappointment city. Oh, and it's 10 miles from the house. I was tempted to just sit in their lobby until they made me an offer.

warren0728
November 14th, 2008, 06:14 PM
that's great man....sending some mojo your way!! :beer:

ted s
November 14th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Whooo, lunch with the directors AND COO !? You are very very close if not there Mark. You obviously got to third with interview 1.
We're pulling for ya !

Robert
November 14th, 2008, 06:34 PM
That's great! Hope you get the job. Bet you can buy more guitar gear then! :beer:

oldguy
November 14th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Major mojo and prayers headed your way, Mark.
Really, really hoping this works out for you.

just strum
November 14th, 2008, 06:38 PM
thanks guys.

I have a plan

If I get it - I buy a guitar to celebrate.

If I don't get it - I buy a guitar to drown my sorrow.

What do you think, good planning?

Robert
November 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Good options, strummy. Seems like a win-win situation! :D

Now what guitar will it be?

luvmyshiner
November 14th, 2008, 06:44 PM
SWEEEEEEEET Strummy! I know you've been wanting this for a long time brother. Major mojo sent from the Shiner household my friend (even if you are fart knocker:D ).

Guitar Gal
November 14th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Hey Strum,

Wishing you the best of luck with the job interview :beer: Sounds like you've nailed it so far :D

I recently changed jobs as well for various reasons. The main one being a shorter daily commute. In my old job, I had a 110 mile daily round trip. Now I have a 20 mile daily round trip :dude: It's like I got almost 10 hours a week put back in my life by not commuting for 2 hours a day :AOK:

GG

aeolian
November 14th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Strum, don't mean to spoil your party, but a small caution to make sure this new company is well established and will be around for a while. Otherwise, good luck and hope things work out for the best.

Rocket
November 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM
No congrats... still sounds like work to me!

peachhead
November 14th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Strum, good luck with everything. Everyone deserves to enjoy what they do and who they do it for. Hope it all goes well...and either way, you get new gear. Excellent :D

just strum
November 14th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Strum, don't mean to spoil your party, but a small caution to make sure this new company is well established and will be around for a while. Otherwise, good luck and hope things work out for the best.
Incorporated in 1967, same owner from day one, employs 320+ people, four div in the area and one in Tuscon.

I think it's safe.

just strum
November 14th, 2008, 06:57 PM
No congrats... still sounds like work to me!

I haven't seen you around for awhile and you must have sensed an opportunity.

cobalt
November 14th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Good luck I wish you all the best!

just strum
November 14th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Good luck I wish you all the best!

hey thanks. I just looked below your avatar and see you are in Racine Wis. I use to have to go up there to one of our facilities when I was with AMETEK. They always sent me in January and/or February - I think it was a cruel joke.

sumitomo
November 14th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Good deal Strummer,Hope you get the job and it's not a bummer.Sumi:D

R_of_G
November 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Good for you Strum! Best of luck.

Rocket
November 14th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I haven't seen you around for awhile and you must have sensed an opportunity.
Wife's been sick.

just strum
November 14th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Wife's been sick.

Well, I hope she's on the mend.

I still think you have a way of sniffing out an opportunity to non-discuss work.

evenkeel
November 14th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Hey Strum,
Best of luck. Will be sending good vibes your way. :beer:

marnold
November 14th, 2008, 08:11 PM
If that doesn't sound like enough of a celebration for you, assuming you get the job, you could also buy me a bass ampf. Really. I'd let you. Honest.

WackyT
November 14th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Congrats Strum!

I'm currently between jobs (my old job at IBM got exported to India), and have an interview with Ball Aerospace for a computer tech job on Monday.

just strum
November 14th, 2008, 08:16 PM
...you could also buy me a bass ampf. Really. I'd let you. Honest.

that thought crossed my mind, unfortunately it kept going.

sunvalleylaw
November 14th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Best of luck to you with it!

piebaldpython
November 14th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Strum, dude; congrats and NAIL the job this Friday. :beer:
Let's hope you new bosses aren't anti-guitar. :rotflmao:

It'll be 32 years for me with my employer this January. :D

Tone2TheBone
November 15th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Well it's late Friday. I hope you got it?!

Kazz
November 15th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I wish you the best of luck Mark.....but I have the feeling you have it in the bag already.

I too am considering a career move in the near future....and a move to a warmer climate.....40 years old and I am so sick of Midwest winters.

Friday cannot get here soon enough.....You will be just fine.

bigoldron
November 15th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Good luck Strum! Hope it works out. At least you're currently employed. My brother was plant manager for a carpet backing manufacturer who just shut down that plant for good. He and about 245 other people are now looking for work. He has had a few interviews and is hoping one of them works out soon.

just strum
November 15th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Well it's late Friday. I hope you got it?! Tone - next Friday.

just strum
November 15th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I'm currently between jobs (my old job at IBM got exported to India), and have an interview with Ball Aerospace for a computer tech job on Monday.

Wacky, good luck to you. I saw IBM wipe out jobs in Conneticut and New York about 15 years ago - it sucks. I've been in Aerospace a long time, despite the things happening in the world, it still is a strong industry. The place I may be going is growing about 10 to 15% per year, so I'm excited.

street music
November 15th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Strum, I wish you all the luck in the world! With the economy in such a mess at this time you are already lucky to have had an interview. GO FOR IT!

oldguy
November 15th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Strum.
About 8 yrs. ago I worked at a plant that built self-propelled aerial work platforms........ scissorlifts and boom lifts with work platforms. After years of continually going to cheaper parts to cut costs, there was a plantwide meeting. 250 of us, half the workforce, were laid off with no notice. At quitting time we turned in our uniforms, loaded our toolboxes and left.
I'd taken hydraulic and electrical classes, done final inspection and testing, and worked with the R&D department, finally working my way up the ladder to decent wages. 30 min. later I was unemployed. I was able to join the Laborer's Local and get the training to land another job. Today, 7 yrs later I make twice the money, have a pension, and medical, vision, and dental are provided for our family........so it turned out to be a good thing.....except for the not being home through the week.
Really hope you get it, the 80 mile drive each way plus the 10-12 hr. days is why I'm staying in a camper through the week.

tjcurtin1
November 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Mark, go man, go! Glad you're not afraid to make a move to something better! Best Wishes - hope to hear good news next week!

Ted

duhvoodooman
November 15th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Wow, Strummy--sounds like a major upgrade in many ways. Got my fingers crossed for you, dude! Mega-mojo comin' your way! :dude: :AOK:

Childbride
November 15th, 2008, 03:25 PM
crossing my fingers for 'ya, Strummy! :)

WackyT
November 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Wacky, good luck to you. I saw IBM wipe out jobs in Conneticut and New York about 15 years ago - it sucks. I've been in Aerospace a long time, despite the things happening in the world, it still is a strong industry. The place I may be going is growing about 10 to 15% per year, so I'm excited.

Thanks Strum. I had a good time working for IBM the short time I did. Hopefully this gig with Ball Aerospace works out. The contract will at least carry me through the New Year, and maybe longer. Good luck on your interview also.:AOK:

EDIT (17 Nov 08): Had my interview this morning with Ball, and I got the job! :dude: It's a contract position to the end of December for some IT work. Hopefully it works into a full time position (fingers crossed).

just strum
November 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Well, the big day is tomorrow. I'm going to play some guitar, relax, and unfortunately probably plow snow a couple times tonight.

I need to play the guitar and find "the zone"

Funny thing at work today:

HR Mgr: So, what's your plans tomorrow?

HR Dir: Here you are taking off tomorrow, I was hoping we could work on the new project tomorrow. (she's also my old direct boss and Dir of Materials

My Boss: Len is off next week, you are coming back on Monday, right?

President: You have any big plans for the long weekend?

uh, you think they might suspect something?

just strum
November 20th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks Strum. I had a good time working for IBM the short time I did. Hopefully this gig with Ball Aerospace works out. The contract will at least carry me through the New Year, and maybe longer. Good luck on your interview also.:AOK:

EDIT (17 Nov 08): Had my interview this morning with Ball, and I got the job! :dude: It's a contract position to the end of December for some IT work. Hopefully it works into a full time position (fingers crossed).

Geez, I didn't even catch the edit until after I wrote my last post. - A big congratulations!!!:beer:

Katastrophe
November 20th, 2008, 07:16 PM
SWEEEEEEEET Strummy! I know you've been wanting this for a long time brother. Major mojo sent from the Shiner household my friend (even if you are fart knocker:D ).

I believe that's the first time the term "fart knocker" has been used on TheFret. :rotflmao:

Strummy, best of luck to you, and I hope you get the job!

WackyT, that's awesome, man, congrats!

mrmudcat
November 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Best wishes on getting the job brother!!!!:bravo:

warren0728
November 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM
het strum....stay loose....be yourself....mojo sent.... :beer: :pancake:

poodlesrule
November 20th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I think Strum should go to bed early, get some rest, instead of posting away at past 10 pm on an internet forum....:D

Go get 'em Strum..!

just strum
November 20th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I think Strum should go to bed early, get some rest, instead of posting away at past 10 pm on an internet forum....:D

Go get 'em Strum..!

Good point - good night and chat/post tomorrow.

ted s
November 21st, 2008, 07:01 AM
Good luck today Mark. Hoping for a report of success. :AOK:

warren0728
November 21st, 2008, 07:05 AM
go get 'em mark! :pancake: :beer:

just strum
November 21st, 2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks again folks.

In about two hours I will be heading to the appointment. It is snowing pretty heavy here, probably 8" where I'm at. Up at work they are reporting 14" on the ground - man I'm glad I dodged that drive today. This week there was four occasions when the drive to or from work was 1.5+ hours.

just strum
November 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM
Well, what an interview. I arrived at 11:10, went on a short tour at 11:15, met with the COO at 11:30. We went to lunch after about 5 minutes of conversation. This guy was tougher in the interview process, but I held my own and I believe I came out of it okay.

When we arrived back at the facility, the guy that will be my boss (Corporate Director) was walking through the parking lot, so I went back to his office for some discussion. I then met with a Sr Buyer in the department for about 30-45 minutes. Then back up to the Corporate Directors office for further discussion.

We were on our way to meet with the GM and I stopped and I told the Corporate Director that I wanted to wrap this interviewing up, I made my decision and I want to join the organization. He smiled and said he wanted me on board. He told me that in between me meeting with people he had been going back and talking to the Sr Buyer and HR Director and they were very high on me joining them.

So, he needs to talk to the COO (his boss) to get feedback. The GM was tied up in a meeting that was running over schedule, but he came out in the hall to talk for a few minutes. He's going to call me tonight or sometime over the weekend. Our brief discussion was very positive and he said the call would be just for both of us to get an idea of a fit and not a discussion on what is on the resume.

That said, my fate is with the COO, but I'm starting my slide into home plate and hoping the catcher is waiting with the ball.

Interview went from 11:15 to 3:00, thankfully it included lunch or my stomach would have been growling. Oh, I had shrimp for lunch and for the record I didn't get any sauce on my shirt.

oldguy
November 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM
Sounds great, Strummy, I'll still keep my fingers crossed till you get the final green light, but it sounds like you're on your way!:AOK: :AOK:

(In case you didn't know it, they are supposed to squeeze the .. ahem......."sauce" out of the shrimp before they cook them)...eeeewwwww.....

just strum
November 21st, 2008, 03:39 PM
Sounds great, Strummy, I'll still keep my fingers crossed till you get the final green light, but it sounds like you're on your way!:AOK: :AOK:

(In case you didn't know it, they are supposed to squeeze the .. ahem......."sauce" out of the shrimp before they cook them)...eeeewwwww.....

thanks OG

and eeeewwwwww is right!!!

warren0728
November 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM
We were on our way to meet with the GM and I stopped and I told the Corporate Director that I wanted to wrap this interviewing up, I made my decision and I want to join the organization.

:AOK: that's the way to handle it! :beer:

M29
November 21st, 2008, 03:50 PM
Mucho Mojo and prayers goin your way Mark. Sounds like you are in. :rockon:

sunvalleylaw
November 21st, 2008, 03:52 PM
Way to go Strummy! Thanks for reporting back.

duhvoodooman
November 21st, 2008, 03:58 PM
Oh, I had shrimp for lunch and for the record I didn't get any sauce on my shirt.
You wore a shirt? Good move! Pants, too, I hope....

Seriously, sounds like it went very well--pulling for you, buddy! :AOK:

street music
November 21st, 2008, 04:48 PM
I hope goes well Strum. Sounds like the umpire is about to make the call.

WackyT
November 21st, 2008, 04:51 PM
Sounds like you nailed it Strum! Congrats! All you need now is the fat lady to sing.

just strum
November 21st, 2008, 04:52 PM
You wore a shirt? Good move! Pants, too, I hope....

Seriously, sounds like it went very well--pulling for you, buddy! :AOK:

No pants, just a thong worn backwards.

sunvalleylaw
November 21st, 2008, 04:54 PM
AWWWWWWW! I must now gouge out my eyes (at least the ones in my mind!)

just strum
November 21st, 2008, 04:57 PM
AWWWWWWW! I must now gouge out my eyes (at least the ones in my mind!)

Take it easy, I wore Crocs. I do have some fashion sense.

luvmyshiner
November 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM

Those things have a front and back??? That probably explains why I was never any good at interviews.:thwap:

Sounds great Strummy. Let us know as soon as you hear something brother. Oh, and just for you, here's a picture of me driving to the last job interview I had:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/20060920174509990046.jpg

mrmudcat
November 21st, 2008, 06:18 PM

Way to much information:bootyshake:

KrisH
November 22nd, 2008, 05:45 PM
We were on our way to meet with the GM and I stopped and I told the Corporate Director that I wanted to wrap this interviewing up, I made my decision and I want to join the organization.

LOL! That's wild, Strum. Good luck!

just strum
November 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Again, thanks everyone. Tomorrow could be the day, if it is, you will see a jubilant post here.

poodlesrule
November 23rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
On the practical side, do you have drafts of thank-you letters/emails ready...??

oldguy
November 23rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Again, thanks everyone. Tomorrow could be the day, if it is, you will see a jubilant post here.

Still keeping my fingers crossed and sending mojo your way, Mark.
If tomorrow is the day, I'll send a reciprocal post sometime between pounding stakes is the ground........promise.:)

Kazz
November 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM
??????

just strum
November 24th, 2008, 05:37 PM
On the practical side, do you have drafts of thank-you letters/emails ready...??

For? Do you mean if I don't get the job?

Robert
November 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Go get 'em, Tiger.

evenkeel
November 24th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Hey Strum,
Hope you are minutes away from postin' some good news.

Keeping fingers and toes crossed and got the mojo workin'!! :AOK: :D

just strum
November 24th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Hey Strum,
Hope you are minutes away from postin' some good news.

Keeping fingers and toes crossed and got the mojo workin'!! :AOK: :D

I was told today through the recruiter that there is one more person they want me to talk to and I assume it's the GM. I thought he was going to call over the weekend, but he never called. Maybe tonight? Maybe tomorrow?

This is the first thing in the process that I have a negative feeling about. I like it when a company can make a decision without having a meeting to discuss the decision that needs to be made. If nothing happens by Wednesday, than I will let them know that I am no longer interested.

evenkeel
November 24th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I was told today through the recruiter that there is one more person they want me to talk to and I assume it's the GM. I thought he was going to call over the weekend, but he never called. Maybe tonight? Maybe tomorrow?

This is the first thing in the process that I have a negative feeling about. I like it when a company can make a decision without having a meeting to discuss the decision that needs to be made. If nothing happens by Wednesday, than I will let them know that I am no longer interested.

Easy big guy. As a veteran of the corporate wars I can with 100% certainty tell you: 1: they all move slowly, 2: nothing happens without a meeting and 3: just because they say "Monday" that means nada. Frustrating, as heck I know, but don't panick. You've got nothing to gain by going to them. Let them come to you no matter what.

bigoldron
November 24th, 2008, 08:00 PM

Don't get too hasty there, Strum. The old saying that "good things come to those who wait" may be the case here. Everything up to this point has been positive. Of course, I had a similar situation a few years ago, when all the 1st level interviews went well. I even drove to the home office in Panama City, FL (100 miles away) to meet with some of the higher ups. I was told they'd be calling a couple of days. Everything was hunky at that point. But, not only did they not call back, they wouldn't even return my calls. Real men, huh? :whatever:

Kazz
November 24th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Yep I agree do not get your panties in a bunch Mark...this is a holiday week....

just strum
November 25th, 2008, 08:25 PM
For three nights I was told that the GM would be calling and three nights the a-hole doesn't call. I just sent an e-mail to the recruiter and told them that if there is no offer by Noon tomorrow, I'm moving on.

Everything was real positive through the whole process and then they start playing some sort of #@$ing game. I don't have time for that kind of bs.

tjcurtin1
November 25th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Mark, Mark! Patience my friend! It seemed that it was looking real good, and if you really don't like where you are now it's worth waiting to see what happens - could be something completely innocent like a mixed up message to the GM, or....

TJC

Kazz
November 25th, 2008, 08:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KuGizBjDXo

luvmyshiner
November 25th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Mark, Mark! Patience my friend! It seemed that it was looking real good, and if you really don't like where you are now it's worth waiting to see what happens - could be something completely innocent like a mixed up message to the GM, or....

Holidays dude. Be patient my friend. If I quit or blew off a job every time I got dumb a** signals from management, I'd be working for myself. . . .

oh nevermind.:thwap:

Dreadman
November 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM
It could be part of a personality test Strum. Maybe they're interested to know how you handle this type of scenario (as if it were an important client you're waiting to hear back from). Depending on the wording in your email it may be just what they're looking for. I'd suggest that you deal with any future communications the same way you would if you were trying to land a big deal FOR THEM.

No matter what though, I wish you the best of luck! We're all behind ya and we will be no matter the conclusion.

Childbride
November 25th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Strummy, peeps are neurotic/distracted during the holidays.

heck, i'm neurotic tonight, and i don't even have to deal with the x factors in my family this weekend.

don't jump the gun.

this could be a cool thing for you. give it until next week. trust me. :)

Kazz
November 26th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Strummy, peeps are neurotic/distracted during the holidays.

heck, i'm neurotic tonight, and i don't even have to deal with the x factors in my family this weekend.

don't jump the gun.

this could be a cool thing for you. give it until next week. trust me. :)

You pretty much summed up exactly what I was thinking about this.

Katastrophe
November 26th, 2008, 05:45 AM
For three nights I was told that the GM would be calling and three nights the a-hole doesn't call. I just sent an e-mail to the recruiter and told them that if there is no offer by Noon tomorrow, I'm moving on.

Everything was real positive through the whole process and then they start playing some sort of #@$ing game. I don't have time for that kind of bs.

Calm thyself, Strummy. This is normal in today's job market, when multiple people have to consult with others to finalize a new hire. Other things might be happening in the company that require the decision maker's attention, pulling them away from talking about hiring you.

Like others have said, the holidays are coming up, and since you're currently employed, that removes some of the urgency on their part. Give it some time man. We're all pulling for you, no matter what.

piebaldpython
November 26th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Hold on to yer britches Strum. Don't be so hasty. Unless you have sumpin' else lined up, you have no choice but to move at their snail's pace. :D I second/third what the others have said too. In today's depressed economy, it's a "buyers" market for employers. As somebody said, their tardiness could actually be a test. We all hate games and BS; but if that's the tune they play, then you have to dance to it. Good luck my friend.

just strum
November 26th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I'd suggest that you deal with any future communications the same way you would if you were trying to land a big deal FOR THEM.

You mean like "Just give me the f'ing order a-hole"

just strum
November 26th, 2008, 11:28 AM
In my job I have to know where everything is at all times. Any project, any delivery, any negotiation, any... I am responsible to know what is going on. When one of my co-workers isn't getting something done, I'm called in to make it happen. That's what I do.

It is difficult to let a middle person handle scheduling and resolving issues (read: I'm a control freak). I want to call direct and get it done, but my hands are tied.

However, after an e-mail asking what the game playing was all about, the GM called me about 20 minutes ago and now we are in the middle of phone tag. My objective of getting this wrapped up before the holiday won't happen, so now we shall see.

street music
November 26th, 2008, 01:48 PM
PATIENCE- Strum, goods come to those who wait or at least that is what my boss tells me most all the time.

just strum
November 26th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Thankfully it is a three day week and I can do a little R&R. I am calling the GM around 8:00 tonight and then the recruiter. I was hoping to have this wrapped up by the holiday, but...

After a little game of phone tag today all I thought about was coming home and playing guitar. Well, playing guitar and the girl in accounting (she's hot, at least in my eyes).

Dreadman
November 26th, 2008, 05:09 PM
You mean like "Just give me the f'ing order a-hole"
Heh heh. Whatever gets the job done. :rotflmao:

sumitomo
November 26th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I've be busy and just read this,I hate sweating this kind of stuff.I say you know your job so relax play guitar and if ya get it you get it and if ya don't well it's their loss and there must be something better for ya.Have a great day off,play guitar and listen to that blues station from San Jose.Sumi:D

just strum
November 28th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Finally!!!

I couldn't reach the guy Wednesday night or this morning, so I sent him a text message.

He just called and I told him phone interviews suck and he agreed, so we are meeting for breakfast tomorrow. It's a quick interview over coffee.

He also noted that the hiring manager, COO and HR Dir are excited about hiring me and he got chewed out for not calling me earlier last week.

So, interview tomorrow and then we'll see where it goes.

Thanks for all of the words of encouragement and the advise to relax (you guessed it, I didn't listen to any of it). However, it's the thought that counts.:D

Katastrophe
November 28th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Strum, that's awesome!

Black guitar mojo headed your way for continued success in the process!

bigoldron
November 28th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Good luck Strum! Mojo headed your way! :AOK:

just strum
November 28th, 2008, 07:43 PM
They have this thing about eating while interviewing - I have a feeling I am going to be gaining weight.

peachhead
November 28th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Best of luck with your Saturday morning breakfast. Have pancakes :pancake: :D

sunvalleylaw
November 28th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Good luck with it!

warren0728
November 29th, 2008, 12:32 AM
hey strum....saturday morning mojo heading your way....just be yourself man.... :pancake:

street music
November 29th, 2008, 06:08 AM
TAKE A BATH ! Don't forget to Brush and floss, and order gravy and biscuits that will show them you mean business.GOOD LUCK STRUM- hope all goes well.

Kazz
November 29th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Warren don't encourage him to be hisself.....see what trouble that already caused......Mark...go in and act like Reverend Rawk.....then you will make sure to get the job....then you can go back to acting neurotic :-)

evenkeel
November 29th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Still sending the good mojo your way. :bravo: :pancake:

street music
November 29th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Hey Strum, I thought I better go ahead and post CONGRATS as the family wants to head to West Virginia for shopping. I'm sure you were locked in on this job or they wouldn't have gone this far with the breakfast and all. I'll check back when we return tonight.:dude: :bravo: :beer: :rockon:

just strum
November 29th, 2008, 10:22 AM
It was a good interview. Not a whole lot of technical stuff, more a "get to know you" type thing. I received feedback about the opinion of the others I interviewed with and all were good.

He asked me how I thought the interview with the COO went and I told him "tough interview, tough read" but I noted that I felt I held my own. He told me the COO is very blunt and in an interview with one guy he told him "you don't know sh1t about quality control (the guy was interviewing for the Quality Mgr position). Bottom line, according to him is if I left the COO with a neutral opinion, I scored.

Towards the end he asked me what are some of my interests outside of work and of course I told him about guitars. It turns out that he played a lot as a teenager and early 20's. He said he has an interest in picking it back up again. He also noted some others at the company play. One guy is self taught and does a lot of buying and selling - sound familiar?

He closed by saying he hopes to see me soon standing in his office doorway to ask a question. That said, it still is looking good. He also asked if there was anything I found disappointing in the interview process, my response - that I wasn't hired on my first visit.

It appears the mojo is working.

warren0728
November 29th, 2008, 10:43 AM
sounds really positive mark!

i especially liked your answer to his question on the interview process! :beer:

just strum
November 29th, 2008, 11:11 AM
sounds really positive mark!

i especially liked your answer to his question on the interview process! :beer:

Thanks. I was thinking if this falls through, I will look at writing an interviewing book.

luvmyshiner
November 29th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Sounds great Mark. Still keeping my fingers crossed for ya'. I glad you didn't mention the whole neked tractor driving thing when he asked about your hobbies. Oh, wait a minute . . . that's my other hobby.:thwap:

piebaldpython
November 29th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Lots of MOJO comin' your way Strum! :beer: Maybe you'll know by Christmas???? :rotflmao: Maybe to ICE the deal; you can offer to do their guit set-ups for them?? :D

All BS'g aside, good luck and I hope you find out soon. :AOK:

just strum
November 29th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Sounds great Mark. Still keeping my fingers crossed for ya'. I glad you didn't mention the whole neked tractor driving thing when he asked about your hobbies. Oh, wait a minute . . . that's my other hobby.:thwap:

Buddy, I wouldn't even mention I know a guy that has it as HIS hobby.

Kazz
November 29th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Mojo Rising up to meet you Mark.....I know all will be well for you.

Childbride
November 30th, 2008, 10:35 AM
have my fingers crossed for you, Strummy! :D

stingx
November 30th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Hey Strum, you'll be fine. It sucks but you need patience. It took me 5 weeks and I had to interview FOUR different days with a boatload of people to get my job and that was 11 years ago. It is much harder now with companies wanting to do more with less. Sit tight and good luck. I'm sure if you made it this far the job is yours. Go pick out a guitar either way :rotflmao:

just strum
December 1st, 2008, 04:55 PM
Hey Strum, you'll be fine. It sucks but you need patience. It took me 5 weeks and I had to interview FOUR different days with a boatload of people to get my job and that was 11 years ago. It is much harder now with companies wanting to do more with less. Sit tight and good luck. I'm sure if you made it this far the job is yours. Go pick out a guitar either way :rotflmao:

I sent the Hr Dir. an e-mail this morning asking for the e-mail address of the GM I met with on Saturday. When she sent me the address she told me she talked to the GM and the feedback was very positive.

One thing I omitted to tell you - during the interview Saturday the GM was impressed with my results in controlling inventory and asked me if I would consider a Materials Mgr position (that's not the position I am interviewing for), so I may be interviewing for two or possibly none.

Bottom line, they are making a decision by close of business Wednesday.

evenkeel
December 1st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Bottom line, they are making a decision by close of business Wednesday.

Keeping up lots of good thoughts on this. But.... close of business Wednesday is likely just an estimate. :D Paticularly given there is another position on the table.

Hang in there, we're pulling for you.

just strum
December 1st, 2008, 05:11 PM
Hang in there, we're pulling for you.

I feel like I've been hanging so long that I'm a foot taller.

Kazz
December 4th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Well it is Thursday morning? Any new news?

bigoldron
December 4th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah, Mark. Any word yet?

just strum
December 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I GOT IT!!!

Katastrophe
December 4th, 2008, 03:00 PM
YEEEEEEE HAAAAW! Congrats, Strummy! That's completely awesome news.

peachhead
December 4th, 2008, 03:19 PM
That's great news- congrats, Strum! I know this was a tiring process for you but it was worth it.
Best wishes to you for your new job :D :bravo:

sunvalleylaw
December 4th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I GOT IT!!!

That's great Mark! A sincere congratulations! :bravo:

Dreadman
December 4th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Way cool bud.

Think of all the extra time you'll have without that commute.

luvmyshiner
December 4th, 2008, 03:49 PM
SWEEEEEEEET! I am so happy for you brother! Like Dread says, now you'll have all kinds of time to practice your ax dude!

Heh, heh, when do you get to turn in your resignation at the old job?

Robert
December 4th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Congrats Mark! Finally, you can now have a Suhr too. :)

duhvoodooman
December 4th, 2008, 04:53 PM
To quote Al Michaels, YESSS!!!!

Of course, that line came right after "Do you believe in miracles?", which may be equally applicable here.... :poke: ;)

Seriously....big congrats on ya, Strum!! :AOK: :dude: :beer:

Blaze
December 4th, 2008, 05:04 PM
All Right man ! glad for you after these ups and down, great news..

Congrats :beer:

Blazes

just strum
December 4th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I received a call this afternoon from the agency advising the the HR Dir sent an email stating I was selected and an offer would be made tomorrow. The HR Dir has been out for the last 1.5 days due to family emergency.

I'm not concerned about the offer since that area has been discussed, so I don't expect any surprises. I'm pushing to get the offer in the morning, so I can give notice after lunch.

I'll post more details tomorrow.

Thanks for all the thoughts, mojo, best wishes....

aeolian
December 4th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Way to go!! I bet tonight's guitar playing will be sweeter than normal.

warren0728
December 4th, 2008, 06:43 PM
i'm late to the party but....congrats buddy....glad everything worked out for you!! :beer:

now relax and play some guitar! :greenguitar:

stingx
December 4th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Excellent news, Strum. Now go on out and getcha self a new geetar!

evenkeel
December 4th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Wahooooo!!!!!! Great news Mr. Strum!!!! :D :D :bravo: :bravo:

ted s
December 4th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Congrats Strum !

peachhead
December 4th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I was thinking about this just now: in the military, when an officer gets promoted, he has to fund his own promotion party. As in, he takes all his buddies out for drinks. On him. So we're all buddies, right?

I'm just sayin'.

:D

street music
December 4th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Congrats Mark, that's got to be a great feeling after working so hard to get the answer.

bigoldron
December 4th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I'm suhr glad you got the job! Now you can add to the BG collection! Maybe even a black strat copy that starts with "s" and rhymes with "pure"??? :poke:

Seriously, Mark, we're all thrilled and excited for you! Hopefully, the offer will mildly surprise you in a good way! Let us know, brother! :AOK:

BTW, Warren, is that a self portrait in your avatar? :rotflmao:

sumitomo
December 4th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Way to go but we knew ya had it in the bag all the time.Sumi:D

wingsdad
December 4th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Oh, man, Mark...:D That's just such huge news :AOK:

Giving notice to your antagonists will be so sweet ;)

Congrats, amigo :bravo:

Tone2TheBone
December 4th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Well ALRIGHT Strumster that's the way to nail a thing! Congrats Mark!:rockon:

piebaldpython
December 4th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Hey Strum, major congratulations are in order. :beer:

sunvalleylaw
December 4th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I'm suhr glad you got the job! :rotflmao:

So is this like a misspelling that is going to stick, kinda like amph? :AOK: I suhr like it!

Sorry Strum about the OT, but I thought you wouldn't mind too much. Congrats again on the new job! I am very happy for you.

just strum
December 5th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Well, after the offer came in and was reviewed, I accepted it and then submitted my resignation. The Materials Mgr wasn't suprised and was happy for me, although he admitted he is not left with any people of near equal quality (nice complement).

He took the letter to the HR Mgr and Materials Dir and talked to them together. The Materials Dir is someone I reported to directly for 13 years. Her only comment "I'm not surprised, we'll just have to move on". This is basically her comment after everyone resigns. About 10 minutes later I am talking to my boss and she comes up and starts talking to him as if I wasn't even there, wouldn't acknowledge me, wouldn't look at me. This is a prime example of the management style, no make that maturity level of management.

My last day is Dec 19th or possibly the 22nd. I start my new job Jan 5th.

Again, thanks to everyone for the encouraging words. Shiner and Wingsdad know how long I've waited for the right job. My first interview with them just told me I should be there.

Andy
December 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM
congrats!

...it sounds like the manager has taken on that "how could you leave this blessed institution" attitude. lol

just strum
December 5th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Hmmm, someone did suggest adding to the BGC

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/s135736/

sumitomo
December 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Way to go Strum,Jan.5 is a great day to start your new job.Thats cause thats my birthday.Sumi:D

Childbride
December 5th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Shiner and Wingsdad know how long I've waited for the right job. My first interview with them just told me I should be there.

o, hey, nice job there. :mad:

just kidding. congrats, strummy, i'm tickled pink for you. :D

M29
December 5th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Awesome Mark awesome:rockon: Don't be concerned about your old boss. The dogs will bark but the caravan moves on! :AOK:

oldguy
December 5th, 2008, 08:43 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rotflmao: :AOK: :rotflmao: :AOK: :rotflmao: :AOK:

marnold
December 5th, 2008, 09:02 PM
First round's on Strummy! Figuratively!

street music
December 5th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Hmmm, someone did suggest adding to the BGC

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/s135736/

Strum , you now a higher priced taste for items on the GAS list. Great to see you move on with a good outlook on this new job, the past is just that THE PAST!

WackyT
December 5th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Congrats Strum! Knew you'd get it!:AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
December 6th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Way to go Strummy!!!!

:bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo:

ted s
December 6th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for sharing this Mark, conrats once again.
I may be joining the club myself shortly.

just strum
December 6th, 2008, 10:00 AM
It is going to be interesting to see what the last two weeks will have in store for me. I know one of their concerns they are going to have is - who will I take with me. I am already receiving e-mail from coworkers with cell numbers and resumes. Maybe I can make some extra guitar cash:D

Kazz
December 8th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Congrats Mark....I am very happy for you!

piebaldpython
December 8th, 2008, 06:30 PM
CONGRATULATIONS STRUM!!!!!!! :master: Since, NEWS usually comes in 3's.......might we expect the other 2 pieces of news to be a NEW amp and a NEW guit??.....ya know, to celebrate?? :poke: :poke: :bravo:

just strum
December 10th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks again. My current employer so far has shown about as much class as an in-law showing up at your house and taking a crap on your carpet.

warren0728
December 10th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks again. My current employer so far has shown about as much class as an in-law showing up at your house and taking a crap on your carpet.
more proof that you are making the right decision! :pancake:

just strum
December 17th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Two more days and it will be over. We are having food brought in on Friday and once everyones attention is on food, I plan on slipping out the back door, so I guess I have 1.5 days. I told HR today that I want to wrap up everything with them tomorrow so it doesn't interfere with my escape on Saturday.

I always liked the cowboy movies when the guy rides off into the sunset while everyone is preoccupied by something else.

One of the directors came up to me yesterday and wished me good luck and handed me a $50 gift certificate for the Mustard Seed

http://www.mustardseedmarket.com/101_locations.html

luvmyshiner
December 17th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Dude, don't forget to take a crap on the carpet on your way out.:rotflmao:

just strum
December 17th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Dude, don't forget to take a crap on the carpet on your way out.:rotflmao:

I do that every night for the last 15 years

ted s
December 17th, 2008, 09:23 PM
$50 certificate ?! All I got was a door slam :AOK:

just strum
December 18th, 2008, 06:31 PM
$50 certificate ?! All I got was a door slam :AOK:

Got another one today - $50 for Borders. Tomorrow I get a $50 for Honey Baked Ham.

I take them all into the local mom and pop guitar shop and barter for a Blackheart.

I told the ladies at work I'm leaving right after lunch tomorrow, so if there are any intentions of showering me with gifts and sexual favors, let's start early.

tjcurtin1
December 18th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I see that there are 157 (now 158) responses to this thread... is that some kind of record around here, I wonder?
Happy last day tomorrow, Mark!

just strum
December 18th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I see that there are 157 (now 158) responses to this thread... is that some kind of record around here, I wonder?

There's the Stupid Deal of the Day thread, that has to have it beat, although I wasn't looking for a record, unless there is a guitar given as a prize:D

Thanks for the last day comment. Suppose to have a snow storm tomorrow morning, I hope the ladies don't change their mind if I'm late (another one of those fantasizers)

oldguy
December 18th, 2008, 07:11 PM
There's the Stupid Deal of the Day thread, that has to have it beat, although I wasn't looking for a record, unless there is a guitar given as a prize:D

Thanks for the last day comment. Suppose to have a snow storm tomorrow morning, I hope the ladies don't change their mind if I'm late (another one of those fantasizers)

You should ask those girls to buy you a Fender Super Champ XD!

duhvoodooman
December 18th, 2008, 07:12 PM
It's up there pretty good, but there are a few over 200. The biggest is the "Guess the Song (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3884)" sticky thread in the Riddles, Puzzles, etc. forum at 339 replies. The longest non-sticky thread seems to be the famous "Fullerton Close-out Deal (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2957)" at 222 replies.

But even getting near that kind of a number in a non-music related thread is pretty darned impressive, Strummy! :dude:

oldguy
December 18th, 2008, 07:17 PM
It's up there pretty good, but there are a few over 200. The biggest is the "Guess the Song (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3884)" sticky thread in the Riddles, Puzzles, etc. forum at 339 replies. The longest non-sticky thread seems to be the famous "Fullerton Close-out Deal (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2957)" at 222 replies.

But even getting near that kind of a number in a non-music related thread is pretty darned impressive, Strummy! :dude:

Yeah, somebody 'round here must like 'ya, Strum!:D :D

just strum
December 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM
You should ask those girls to buy you a Fender Super Champ XD!

Hmmm, now that would be nice!!!

just strum
December 18th, 2008, 07:22 PM

My posting days will come to an end tomorrow (no more laptop). I will have limited access with the kids computers. Maybe my son's laptop since he sleeps until Noon.

sumitomo
December 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Maybe you could get the girls at the office to have a beer and dress for the occasion,but on second thought that could be scary cause I dont know what they look like.Sorry scratch that idea.Sumi:D

oldguy
December 18th, 2008, 08:16 PM
My posting days will come to an end tomorrow (no more laptop). I will have limited access with the kids computers. Maybe my son's laptop since he sleeps until Noon.

You should ask those girls at work to buy you a laptop!:D

Geraint Jones
December 23rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
Congrats on the job mate , I look forward to breaking your products .

just strum
December 23rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
Congrats on the job mate , I look forward to breaking your products .

They're aircraft parts, you might want to think twice about that.:D

Thanks for the congrats.

Geraint Jones
December 23rd, 2008, 05:52 PM
Keeps me in a job as well .
Boeing , Airbus you name `um I`ve broke `me . Thats why I like Tele`s so much .

Kazz
December 23rd, 2008, 06:08 PM
I think he needs to buy a black computer....I have built 3 of em within the last 2 months....I could cut you a pretty good deal.

just strum
December 23rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
Keeps me in a job as well .
Boeing , Airbus you name `um I`ve broke `me . Thats why I like Tele`s so much .

Are you a tester for Consumers Products?

Geraint Jones
December 24th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Yes , usually with a dead blow hammer .

tot_Ou_tard
December 24th, 2008, 09:29 AM
You should ask those girls at work to buy you a laptop!:D I don't think that there is a pole at his workplace.

just strum
December 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I don't think that there is a pole at his workplace.

Actually there was one right next to my desk, but it was about 3 feet in diameter and seemed to attract the larger women.

just strum
January 4th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Well, tomorrow is the big day. I'll be heading into work and be with a different group of people for the first time in 15 years. It will be strange, but I am excited about the new job. The time off for two weeks went by real quick, but I feel rested, maybe too rested as I was getting use to the idea of not having to get up at a set time.

Ted S also starts his new job tomorrow after being employed with a company for a number of years.

ted s
January 4th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Yessir. tomorrow is the big day, new year, new employer, new job role.
After almost 14 yrs, it definitely will be strange. I'll have to be on my best behavior.
Have a good day tomorrow Mark, I'm not saying good luck, you don't need it.
I'll check in with you tomorrow, see how it went.

t

luvmyshiner
January 4th, 2009, 04:13 PM
You two behave yourselves now . . . at least until you find out what the sexual harassment policies are with your new employers.:nono:

just strum
January 4th, 2009, 04:24 PM
You two behave yourselves now . . . at least until you find out what the sexual harassment policies are with your new employers.:nono:

Keep a clean nose and clean underwear - that's my policy.

ted s
January 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM
...and clean underwear - that's my policy.

What happened to the 4 day rule ? WHICH.. I believe I learned of here..
inside, outside, back to front ?

tunghaichuan
January 4th, 2009, 04:49 PM
What happened to the 4 day rule ? WHICH.. I believe I learned of here..
inside, outside, back to front ?

Okay. File that under: "Too Much Information" :eek: :D

tung

mrmudcat
January 4th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Really:thwap: :beer:

tot_Ou_tard
January 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Keep a clean nose and clean underwear - that's my policy.
Those two are mutually exclusive.

marnold
January 4th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Don't forget your pants this time.

bigoldron
January 4th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Good luck to both of you. Speaking of sexual harassment, you ought to work in a small school system with approximately 95% (or more) of the employees being female. Talk about living on the edge... :thwap: :drool: :nono: :messedup:

warren0728
January 5th, 2009, 06:42 AM
sending new job mojo to ted and strum.... :pancake:

tunghaichuan
January 5th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Good luck to both of you. Speaking of sexual harassment, you ought to work in a small school system with approximately 95% (or more) of the employees being female. Talk about living on the edge... :thwap: :drool: :nono: :messedup:

I work in a library. I am the only male member of the staff. As you can imagine, I must be very careful what I say. :eek:

tung

Katastrophe
January 5th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I work in a library. I am the only male member of the staff. As you can imagine, I must be very careful what I say. :eek:

tung

I would imagine you would have to say it quietly, too.

tunghaichuan
January 5th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I would imagine you would have to say it quietly, too.

Not if I want to be heard over all the people yakking on their cell phones, listening to music with the volume turned way up, and/or screaming rug-rats. :rotflmao:

tung

just strum
January 6th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Well, things are great here. I am so use to arguing and yelling, that the sense of professionalism has me a little off right now. Getting to and from work in less than 20 minutes each way is a welcome change.

It's typical first days, don't remember anyone’s name (I call everyone Mike or Margaret to make it easier on me). I have a lot of reading to do and attend meetings to get familiar with the projects that are going on. I was told to just walk around, observe, read, and get acquainted with co-workers.

warren0728
January 6th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I was told to just walk around, observe, read, and get acquainted with co-workers.
and instead....you went back to your office....got on the computer and visited the fret!! :poke:

just strum
January 6th, 2009, 11:55 AM
and instead....you went back to your office....got on the computer and visited the fret!! :poke:

I have to observe what is going on here.

bigoldron
January 6th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I have to observe what is going on here.

Remember, look, but DON'T TOUCH! :D :bootyshake: :crazyguy:

piebaldpython
January 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Good luck to ya Strum! :bravo: This weekend past I just marked 32 years with my employer. ahahhah I can't even begin to imagine the butterflies you must have felt. :rotflmao:

evenkeel
January 6th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Sounds pretty good Strum.

Glad to hear things are starting off well. :)

ted s
January 6th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Much the same here, meeting people, getting the ol'propaganda biz.., safety training etc..
No yelling or arguing here either.

oldguy
January 6th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hey, that's great news for both you guys! Hope it all goes well from here on, best wishes and good mojo for you.:beer:

just strum
July 18th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I was looking down in the "Top 10 Stats" and saw this thread. I didn't realize it was there.

So, it has now been a little over six months and I thought I would note.

I do not regret a single aspect of my choice to change jobs. I like the company, the people I work with, and most things about it (except that getting up early thing). I usually get home by 4:00, the ride is short and the work is challenging and interesting.

The economy has a lot of us worried, but I've survived a lay-off and we have a lot of new business we are working on. One project will result in about $16 mil in annual sales and will most likely become its own division. A number of other projects in the works as well, with visits from Goodrich and Gulfstream on a daily basis and Bombardier very interested in moving some work to our company. The early activity doesn't generate huge amount of money, but it certainly makes the future look bright.

wvIAyxpjEuc

evenkeel
July 18th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Terrific Strum. Thanks for the update. :bravo:

Geraint Jones
July 20th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Call up Mr Boeing and ask if they want any help getting the 787 off the ground .