PDA

View Full Version : Just Starting out on Rhythm Guitar?

k5koy
November 15th, 2008, 07:41 AM
First off, let me start by saying I am no affiliated with Hal Leonard. Having said that, I found a great new book for Rhythm Guitar that I thought I might share with the rest of you. Its called "You're in the Band" for rhythm guitar. By David Clo. Walks you right thru the basics and gets you right into playing good rhythm guitar. Check it out at your local music store. I like it!

Koy Carson
West Texas

**60th Anniversary American Strat
**Carvin AC175 Thinline Acoustic
**Ibanez EW20ZW Electric/Acoustic
**Arbor AJ145CR Jazz
**Fender Marcus Miller 5 String Bass
**Fender Geddy Lee Signature Bass
**Warwick Corvette 4 string Bass
**Tradition Fretless Bass
**Takamine Hollow body Bass
**Digitech JamMan

http://www.myspace.com/k5koy

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h34/k5koy/14kpickthumb.jpg
The "PickPocket" The ORIGINAL Guitar Accessory

kiteman
November 15th, 2008, 09:22 AM
This thread should be moved to product reviews.

I agree it's an interesting book, I don't have it but it sounds good. Learning rhythm guitar lays the foundation for lead playing.

Glacies
November 18th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I'm reading a Hal Leonard Music Theory book and am greatly impressed with the quality of it. I'll check out that rythym one when I'm done.

I'm sure I could be a lot more efficient in my learnings with the guitar and music in general, but as much theory as I'm learning, I'm still wanting to be able to play new songs so I've been taking licks out of another book which keeps me excited to keep moving on. I started learning delta blues ala John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters last night. I'm excited to go home and finish up with it tonight.

tjcurtin1
November 18th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I'm reading a Hal Leonard Music Theory book and am greatly impressed with the quality of it. I'll check out that rythym one when I'm done.

I'm sure I could be a lot more efficient in my learnings with the guitar and music in general, but as much theory as I'm learning, I'm still wanting to be able to play new songs so I've been taking licks out of another book which keeps me excited to keep moving on. I started learning delta blues ala John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters last night. I'm excited to go home and finish up with it tonight.

So, what's the 'other book' that keeps you excited?

Glacies
November 19th, 2008, 07:52 AM
So, what's the 'other book' that keeps you excited?

Oh, sorry. I'm learning the licks out of "Blues You Can Use" by John Gannappes.

As a beginning guitarist I find it very educational but the licks are pretty cool and are greatly improving my improv abilities because I'm learning how to connect note 1 to note 2 on the fretboard the same way I'm imagining it in my head. I find it satisfying all around.

tjcurtin1
November 19th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks, Glacies - sounds good, I'll check it out.

Algonquin
November 19th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the tip on the book Koy.

Much appreciated!
Cheers :beer: