PDA

View Full Version : SansAmp GT2/BDDI vs. Character Series

marnold
November 15th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Tech 21 recently came out with the Character Series pedals, specifically designed to emulate certain amps. While they sound cool, I wondered what the benefit would be of getting one of those pedals instead of a GT2 or BDDI. The Character Series is cheaper, but not significantly enough so that it would make up for its "one-trick-pony-ness." The BDDI adds XLR and parallel outputs which are not on the VT Bass pedal. The only one that makes sense to me immediately is the Liverpool (AC30) pedal, which the GT2 doesn't emulate. The other thought would be the "character" knob that can enable it to emulate multiple Marshall types, for example. Thoughts?

While I'm at it, what about the possibility of me getting a GT2 for use with both my bass and guitar? I know that the GT2 includes bass settings for SVT emulation, etc. Then I could use it for recording guitar too. Obviously some bass flexibility and extra outputs would be lost.

markb
November 15th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I'd go for the GT2, or even better, get a Tri-AC. It's basically a three-channel programmable GT2 so you could save two guitar channels and a bass tone. I used one as an emergency backup for a while. It sounded great straight into the PA and runs nicely on a 9v battery. It only draws as much current as an overdrive pedal, the only digital bit being the memory. Like most Tech21 gear the build is of brick outhouse standard.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/triac.html

marnold
November 15th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I did a bit more reading on the new VT Bass pedal on TalkBass and people really seem to like it. The big benefits vis-a-vis the BDDI are: 1) a dedicated mids control, 2) more drive, 3) more output for driving a power amp directly. Of course, you lose the DI and the ability to emulate other amps.

Here's an interesting thread (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462767) where someone posted clips comparing the VT Bass to an actual Ampeg SVT. Slightly more than 3/4 of those who listened mistook the VT Bass pedal for the real McCoy. Most impressive.

Mark, I also noticed that the Tri-A.C. doesn't have the drive switch nor the mic switch. I'm guessing that that would have an effect on the overall tone, but I'm not sure since I've never used a GT2.

markb
November 15th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Mark, I also noticed that the Tri-A.C. doesn't have the drive switch nor the mic switch. I'm guessing that that would have an effect on the overall tone, but I'm not sure since I've never used a GT2.

True, it is a little simplified from the original GT2 design but it's all there. Have a listen to the sample. All guitar and bass sounds are coming through the Tri-AC including an SVT tone. The Tri-AC includes settings in its manual for VOX tones, I'm sure you could coax them out of the GT2 as well. If you want the device mainly for bass though, maybe the VT pedal or the BDDI are more suited to the task.

SuperSwede
November 16th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I have a GT2 and I have to say that its extremely good for what it does (clean to overdrive fender bassman style & dirty to heavily saturated overdrive Marshall/Boogie sounds.).

It does NOT however sound like a AC30 but the Liverpool pedal seems to be pretty close.

The GT2 vs the Tri-AC is another story, they dont sound similar at all (even though they are based upon the same design).
The Tri-AC works best with clean to crunchy vintage tones and the GT2 sounds better when it comes to more modern sounds (although the higain tweed setting sounds excellent for blues and jazz).
The Marshall/Boogie setting on the GT2 are scooped and there is no middle eq.

The built-in cab sim isnt amazing in the GT2/Tri-AC and you need to "tame" the top end with additional eq or cab sim. I use Guitar Rig 3 and if you want the classic 80/90´s Marshall tones you´ll be very satisfied.

For Bass I would recommend the Bass Driver, it sounds fantastic either direct recorded or through a cab.

I havent tried the VT Bass pedal, but its probably awesome as well.

marnold
November 16th, 2008, 02:27 PM
The stupid thing is that all the research for this gas me GASsing for one of those British pedals. To paraphrase Yakov Smirnoff, "Marshall in a box . . . what a country!"

SuperSwede
November 17th, 2008, 03:23 AM
The stupid thing is that all the research for this gas me GASsing for one of those British pedals. To paraphrase Yakov Smirnoff, "Marshall in a box . . . what a country!"

How about getting the entire collection of Character Pedals? :)

http://www.upvlibrary.org/calendar/Programs/Youth/2007/gotta_catch_em_all.gif