PDA

View Full Version : Tried a Marshall DSL50 and Am Fender Strat today

Robert
November 15th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Toda I ran a hard 8 k cross-country race under 29 minutes, and then I headed (stinky and all) to the music store. I found a used Marshall DSL50 for $999, a 2004 model. I tried with a few Strats, and it's a cool amp. I was kinda tired and the sales guy was hanging over my shoulder and I would wanted some time and privacy in order to get to know the amp. It has quite a few features. So, I dunno if it's a good deal or not. Thoughts?

I tested a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat. Not bad, very good for the money but my jaw never hit the floor.

Then I tried an American Strat, a used one for $899. It was in VERY good shape and I could not find any major flaws on it, other than minor fret wear, but even that was minor. Ok, it had a scratchy pickup selector, which would be a simple and cheap fix. Other than that, I was quite impressed by it. Not sure if I love the pickups in it though.

Finally I plugged in a Fender Custom Shop Pro Stratocaster and holy cow - now the jaw was getting closer to the floor! It was fabulous - the workmanship was impressive. Top notch I'd say. It has SCN noiseless pickups, and they seem to sound way better than my Vintage Noiseless, or perhaps it's because the whole guitar is much better than mine. Drawbacks? The price tag was $2,700.... and for that I think I'd go for a Suhr instead with the SSC system.

So in the end, I was very tempted to buy either the DSL50 for $999 or the Am Strat for $899. I walked away thinking... so what would YOU do in my situation?

sunvalleylaw
November 15th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Well, I sure can't say, but based on what you have been posting, I would say the DSL50. The American Strat was nice but you did not love it. So if the amph is a good deal, I guess I say that. Someone else needs to say if the amph is a good deal or not though. That I don't know.

Tone2TheBone
November 15th, 2008, 11:42 PM
So in the end, I was very tempted to buy either the DSL50 for $999 or the Am Strat for $899. I walked away thinking... so what would YOU do in my situation?

Umm opt for the Marshall or wait for another Suhr on Ebay. :)

SuperSwede
November 16th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Definately the Marshall, and you could probably talk down the price too.
I dont think that I´ve ever paid the asking price of a used guitar/amp.

F_BSurfer
November 16th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Robert I would of done exactly what you did ...walk away thinking.....its a lot of money and reading all your other posts don't think either one is what you want.I think you could get the dsl 100 for less money on ebay, if shipping charges was reasonable to you..

Robert
November 16th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Shipping is usually problem, they Marshall heads cost a bit to ship, especially from the US. I saw one for 750 on ebay but shipping would be over hundred, plus customs fees and whatnot and we're at a grand pretty quick.

A year ago I tried a Vintage Modern, and from what I can remember, I like it's sound better. But then again, that was a long time ago, different circumstances etc so who knows...

tjcurtin1
November 16th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Robert, sounds like you've got a little money that is seriously burning a hole in your pocket. I'd put some asbestos lining in there and wait for what you REALLY want. Otherwise, the money you've managed to save will be gone, you'll end up with something you really don't love, and you'll feel way disappointed.

ZMAN
November 16th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Robert I am also looking at a DSL 50 head. The asking price is 1200 and it is in mint condition. Approx the same age. I haven't had a chance to play it.
I am pretty sure it could be had for 1000. I am wondering what cab would you get to go with it?
I am thinking along the lines of a 1/12 or 2/12 because of space, and being an at home set up only. I am thinking if you can pick it up without shipping for under a grand it might be worth it.

tunghaichuan
November 16th, 2008, 10:35 AM
One thing to consider about the Marshall DSL series:

The are PCB construction with the tube sockets mounted on the board. The pots are plastic type and are also mounted to the board.

Mounting the tube sockets on the PCB is a bad idea, especially for a combo amp where the tubes hang down from the chassis. Tubes produce a lot of heat and will eventually cause the board to warp, maybe even cracking the traces. This can cause all kinds of difficult to diagnose and expensive to fix problems.

Mounting the pots to the board is also a bad idea, if a pot goes bad, the whole board has to be removed to replace the bad pot. Contrast to the older style JCM800 amps: they have chassis mounted pots with flying leads to the PCB. It is a snap and very inexpensive to fix if the pot goes bad. This saves Marshall money as they can use unskilled labor to assemble the amps. But in the long run it costs the consumer money when the amp has to be serviced.

Modern Marshall construction leaves a lot to be desired. The only modern-made Marshalls I would consider would be the hand wired amps. The ones with turret boards.

tung

Robert
November 16th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Good points Tung. At the moment, I feel more interested in a guitar than a Marshall actually.

zman, I would use my Avatar 2x12.

Then again, here is an interesting amp - http://www.guitarscanada.com/Board/showthread.php?p=151324 - Tung, what do you think of that one?

Jimi75
November 16th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Don't make your move to soon Rob! The Marshall is a brilliant amp and the price if pretty fair, but you are yearning for that Suhr aren't you?! Go for the Suhr first, this will make you so happy man! The DSLs are always on the bay and 2nd hand in guitar shops. Like I said befor, it is a great amp, but you already have some amps that might do the job also for another while, before you kickstart with the Suhr, the Marshall and your pedals.

ZMAN
November 16th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Robert: Did you get the Avatar from those guys out in Winnipeg? I looked at their web site and they want 600 for the base model 2/12. The same can be had for 389 plus shipping in the US. I have a ship point there and even with the exchange it is only 500.

Robert
November 16th, 2008, 01:36 PM
zman, no I got mine used at a music store for under 200 bucks.

Lev
November 16th, 2008, 02:00 PM
if the SCN's float your boat you should try an Am Deluxe Start if you get a chance. I have the HSS model and although I love my other guitars this is the one I keep coming back to. The pickups produce a beautiful raspiness with an over driven amp and it's a guitar that gives you confidence, you know that it's going to do what you want it to do.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Deluxe-Stratocaster?sku=511142

marnold
November 16th, 2008, 02:24 PM
So, are you a) overly eager, or b) questioning the whole Suhr thing?

What you really need is one of these!
http://www.tech21nyc.com/images/british_image.jpg

tunghaichuan
November 16th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Good points Tung. At the moment, I feel more interested in a guitar than a Marshall actually.

Then again, here is an interesting amp - http://www.guitarscanada.com/Board/showthread.php?p=151324 - Tung, what do you think of that one?

I'm no expert on Marshall, but here goes:

IIRC, I seem to remember that Marshalls shipped to Canada came stock with EL34 tubes. The ones shipped to the US came with 6550s. There may have been some differences in the transformers as well. I remember reading something about this, but can't remember the exact specifics. 6550 tubes give the amp a harder sound and break up later than an EL34. Metal guys love them for this reason. The EL34 gives a softer, more vintage sound.

Some information here: http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm#JMP-2204

I believe the amp on the guitarscanada.com board is identical to the plexi circuit, but with JCM800 cosmetics. That means there is no master volume and it is louder than hell without an attenuator. :dude: It doesn't have the extra gain stage like some of the later 2204 circuits. Although the Dr Tube site says that the 2204 was a master volume amp produced from '75-'81 :confused:

It has four inputs, two sets of vertical inputs, low and high. That would mean that the inputs are chassis mounted, not PCB mount. It would also mean that the pots are chassis mount as well. I believe these are the last of the good Marshalls construction wise. Later in the 80s Marshall went to horizontal input jacks which are PCB based. Not sure about the pots at this point.

Here is some information on the vertical input 2204 with an extra gain stage: http://www.mhuss.com/MyJCM/index.html

Besides the Jubilee, this is one of the most desirable JCM800 amps.

IMHO, the vertical input JCM800 series are the last of the well-constructed Marshalls. Even though they have PCBs in them, all the critical parts, input jacks, tube sockets, pots, etc. are chassis mounted with flying leads. This is the way to build a PCB based amp. Mounting these parts on the PCB is not the best idea.

The amp in the ad you posted is pretty cool, but it is a 50W Marshall, which means that it will put out about 50-60w clean, and probably 75-80w (or more) when cranked up all the way. IOW, if you're performing a lot in front of a lot of people, it might be a good amp to own. If you're a bedroom player, use a distortion pedal so you don't make yourself deaf.

tung

Robert
November 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Marnold, I don't think I am overly eager or questioning anything. At this point, I am most interested in a Suhr, but I always keep the window open for anything else that I think is great. I am in no hurry, and I guess I will wait for when I think the time is right to buy something. That JCM 800 looks very cool though... so who knows!

marnold
November 16th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Marnold, I don't think I am overly eager or questioning anything. At this point, I am most interested in a Suhr, but I always keep the window open for anything else that I think is great. I am in no hurry, and I guess I will wait for when I think the time is right to buy something. That JCM 800 looks very cool though... so who knows!
Gotcha. Just wanted to gauge any advice based on which way you were leaning in that regard. Since you said you are more interesting in a guitar than a Marshall, then the answer would seem to be save up for that Suhr. Wouldn't seem to make much sense to buy something that is only somewhat better than the guitar you sold (assuming you did sell your Fender, I don't remember now).

Blaze
November 17th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Seems to me that along the threads ,the Shur guitar is always in your mind ,i would stick to it and let the wind blow..I think your current amps sound pretty good and that ''you'' make your guitar sound well & nice.

A Fender bassman could be a good choice in the futur for you too..

Take Care

Blazes:AOK: