PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen www.youcantaffordthisguitar.com

Robert
November 15th, 2008, 09:41 PM
www.youcantaffordthisguitar.com - have you seen this?

I'd like to hear your comments. I find their style of marketing is a bit, should we say sensationalistic?

marnold
November 15th, 2008, 09:43 PM
There was something about them in a recent Premier Guitar. One of the many products I look at, go "Hmm!", and turn the page.

just strum
November 15th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Even ugly can be expensive.

sumitomo
November 15th, 2008, 10:14 PM
What no kevlar? Sumi:D

tunghaichuan
November 15th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think that guitar is cool. It's innovative and progressive. I like the way it looks. If I had $4K to burn, I'd probably buy one.

tung

tot_Ou_tard
November 16th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I think it's fantastic that people are still trying to push the envelope. I ignore the looks & the price (no way that I could afford it.) I'm more interested in the concept & the tone.

They claim to have built a guitar by engineering to the overlay of the frequency spectra of a particular 59 Les Paul reissue & a 60s strat.

Interesting idea, but I'm sure that tweaking from that point with a good ear would get you something more interesting.

just strum
November 16th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I will say I am conservative when it comes to guitars and this sort of thing is sacrilegious and should be punished by public lashings and if repeated, public hangings.

The quest for improvement should be limited to the electronics in the guitar (pick-up and pots) and any electronics connected directly or indirectly to the guitar (pedals and amps - or amphs depending on what tribe you are associated with).

Experimentation such as this will only lead to decadence and some day someone will come out with a guitar referred to as the Robot that will actually be capable of self tuning.

I request that this thread be locked or preferably removed before it corrupts any more minds.

Ch0jin
November 17th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Wow Strum, if your that upset about robot guitars, I bet I could incite violence if we started talking about guitar hero :)

(note that guitar hero is actually one of my pet ranting topics. I'm not a fan....)

ShortBuSX
November 17th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Kinda makes you wanna buy one of those $4000 cold aluminum and plastic guitars to play blues on.
"Oh Ive gotta tough life..."

just strum
November 17th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Wow Strum, if your that upset about robot guitars, I bet I could incite violence if we started talking about guitar hero :)

(note that guitar hero is actually one of my pet ranting topics. I'm not a fan....)

Even today, I really have no clue what guitar hero is, other than a game. I do know it's not as costly as this guitar - is it?

oldguy
November 17th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I don't think the guitar looks bad. I can't afford one, and wouldn't buy one if I could afford it if the sound clips are what it's supposed to sound like.

Guitar hero is a game where you push buttons on a plastic guitar clone type thingy seeing if you can memorize the patterns quickly enough to imitate the music of some famous person..........or not.

There are reports of some people being cut, bruised, injured, and left bleeding after such attempts..........many of them tractor owners wearing aluminum foil hats and rambling about webcam brainwaves......

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

just strum
November 17th, 2008, 05:51 PM
There are reports of some people being cut, bruised, injured, and left bleeding after such attempts..........many of them tractor owners wearing aluminum foil hats and rambling about webcam brainwaves......

Well, it's obviously not a game that I am interested in.

oldguy
November 17th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Me neither......... I just want to learn how to play a guitar.....any guitar....
so I can retire in a few years and have a modest supplemental income........

Jimi75
November 18th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Oh boy, this instrument doesn't kick me at all. It seems sterile. True, I can't afford this guitar, but hey I would never need such a guitar.

:beer:

J75

Kazz
November 18th, 2008, 04:41 AM
I happen to be a fan of Guitar Hero. I have every version of it to date. Waiting with big anticipation for the Metallica version coming out first quarter of 2009.

The game in and of itself is mindless fun for the entire family and if you are any good at it at all the music sounds nice....it is a great way to have fun with the wife and kids and enjoy some new as well as old music.

Now if you suck at it and all you hear are these rude beeps and blips....when you miss a note then it does not sound good at all.

oldguy
November 18th, 2008, 05:24 AM
I happen to be a fan of Guitar Hero. I have every version of it to date. Waiting with big anticipation for the Metallica version coming out first quarter of 2009.

The game in and of itself is mindless fun for the entire family and if you are any good at it at all the music sounds nice....it is a great way to have fun with the wife and kids and enjoy some new as well as old music.

Now if you suck at it and all you hear are these rude beeps and blips....when you miss a note then it does not sound good at all.

OK, gotcha, I think I understand now. We just recently got a Wii, and we love to bowl, golf, and play baseball on the weekend when I'm home. The race car driving's not bad either.......... oh, none of it's real...........but it's still fun.

Glacies
November 18th, 2008, 06:38 AM
About the guitar, as a newcomer to the whole guitar world, I like seeing some innovation and some new things available. I never like thinking that the 50's and 60's had the best instruments and I'll never have one of those...

For the record, I'll probably never have the guitar posted above either.

About guitar hero, I'm probably going to buy my GF and I Rockband for our Wii this Christmas, looks like it would be a blast. We play a lot of the sports and the other night we had a "hula hoop" competition on the wii fit. I sucked but when she got up there.... hot!!!

Katastrophe
November 18th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Innovative? Hardly.

Aluminum has been used as a material on guitars for a long time, with Kramer making aluminum necks in 1976. A quick Yahoo search turned up a number of guitar makers already using carbon fiber in their construction. Composite necks are available,too.

Tuners, frets, fretboard, pickups, knobs, bridge, selector switch, pickups and strings all look conventional, to me. BTW, does it look like the neck pickup is slanted way too much, or is it just me?

Company literature says that the neck is finished in order to "simulate" the feel of a regular guitar neck. Neck modeling, anyone?

For $4,000 I'll pass. My $400 MIM Strat is pretty versatile and 10% of the cost, although it doesn't have "tuned sound chambers.":thwap:

araT
November 18th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I can afford it.. but I'd never buy it, I'd rather put that 4K towards a real '59 LP or '60s strat.

It's ugly, it doesn't sound great, and it has an arrogance about it which it doesn't deserve (and there's nothing I hate more than undeserved egos or arrogance!)

I'm not being run over by the technology bus here, I work in I.T., am a gadget-o-holic, and I own & love my Gibson Robot.. so it's not me being traditional or anything.. I just don't like it.

Ch0jin
November 18th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I don't think the guitar looks bad. I can't afford one, and wouldn't buy one if I could afford it if the sound clips are what it's supposed to sound like.

Guitar hero is a game where you push buttons on a plastic guitar clone type thingy seeing if you can memorize the patterns quickly enough to imitate the music of some famous person..........or not.

HAHAHAHA thats awesome.

As much as I think time could be better spent playing a real guitar I do concede I've had some chuckles regarding Guitar Hero. A few days after I got my Maton a mate (a Guitar Hero owning mate) came over and said "Hey that looks a bit like the Guitar Hero Guitar" Fair call considering mines black and sorta Les Paul-ish. I say "grab it and have a play if u like" and he almost falls over picking it up. "OMG! Are real guitars all this heavy? How on earth do people stand on stage with them (The Maton isn't -that- heavy. It's LP Standard kinda heavy) so I laugh and grab it back off him and play a few little licks and he says (I swear this is 100% true) "wow, what are you pressing on to get that cool wavy sound?" referring to nothing more complex that a string bend.

Well I found it amusing anyway.....