PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Valve King

Robert
June 14th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Who has one? Who has tried one? Impressions?

Who wants one? ME!

Seriously, it looks like a fantastic value.

* 50 Watts into 16 Ohms
* Two 6L6GC and three 12AX7 tubes
* Two independent footswitchable channels
* Separate EQ for each channel
* Footswitchable gain/volume boost on lead channel
* External speaker capability
* One 12" Valve King speaker
* Reverb with level control
* Buffered effects Loop
* Resonance switch for tight or loose cabinet response
* New, patent-pending Texture variable Class A/B simulation control
* U.S. $399.99

Katastrophe
June 14th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I don't blame you, man, that's a pretty cool lookin' amph. I bet with this amph you could indeed get screamin' solos! I looked it up today on MF and had to switch sites due to excessive GAS pressure! The price is right, too!

Truly, these are amazing times, when a noobie guitar player can buy a Fender Strat at 400.00, a VK at 400.00 and be gig ready.

The Spudman version:

2 Special Edition Squiers, a minty used Ibanez, and a used Valve King for $400.00!:D

Spudman
June 14th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Jeez, what a bunch of smart alecs. Oh, ya, maybe I could get all that. Hmmm.

The Valve King seems pretty nice and I've seen them going used with shipping for a little + or - $300.

My choice though would be a Crate Vintage Club 50 or 60 1x12". Both the 60 and 50 have 2 switchable channels with reverb. The VC 50212 I have has been called the "poor man's Bassman", but I think it's more than that. The prices are pretty good on these for used ones and they are a class A/B design.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but I think the two amps are very similar. The Crates won some design and sound awards just after they came out too.

Reviews for the 50 1x12
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Crate/VC5112-1.html

Reviews for the 50 2x12
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Crate/VC5212-1.html

ZoSo65
June 19th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Well, as most of you know, I had the 212, and it kicked ***!!
Here's my thoughts I posted on it.
ZoSo and the 212 (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=548&page=10)
Just a little FYI. The 212 and head, have a few more options then the 112 offers, which are especially good.

Paralleled Speaker Jacks (Head and ValveKing 212 only)

RESONANCE (ValveKing™ 212 and 100 Head only)
This patented feature, available only from Peavey, is used to fine-tune the low-frequency response and damping factor of the power amp section. At higher settings, the speakers are allowed to move more freely at low frequencies, resulting in more apparent low end with slightly less signal clarity at maximum settings.

PRESENCE (ValveKing 212 and 100 Head only)
This control is used to fine-tune the high-frequency response and damping factor of the power amp section.
At higher settings, the speakers are allowed to move more freely at high frequencies, resulting in more apparent high end.

Load Impedance is selectable (ValveKing 212 and 100 Head only)

They where the reasons I went with the 212 instead of the 112. But damm is it friggin loud! Especially if you push the tubes to getthat great tube tone!

Robert
June 20th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Hey Zoso, why did you get rid of it?

ZoSo65
June 27th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Sorry for the delay Rob,, To make it simple, it was just too loud for my needs at this time.
I really like tube tone, and as you know, usually an amp needs to be kind of cranked up to get that "push" on the tubes. I had the VK212 only at 2 on the dial, here at home, kind of mild for the tubes though hehe, and it was still just a bit overwhelming for the home environment, especially with a 10 month old baby(you know how there sleep schedule is, LOL).
But at the jam room, when I hit 5 on the dial, that good ole tube tone got a goin! And boy, did it sound awesome!
I think it's an awesome amp, and something tells me, I might regret sending it back for the DeltaBlues 210,,LOL :D
Oh yeah, one thing I especially like about it, the volume didn't jump from low to almost screaming, going from 2 to 3 or 4 on the dial(like most Fenders tend to do)

But, if and when that time happens, I'll either get the VK212 or a Mesa/Boogie F-50.

But for now, I'm totally satisfied with the DB, it meets my needs, and then some, has great vintage tone, modern tone, and when I use the POD xtLive with it, I get a nice wide range of tones too!