PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Cars

just strum
November 16th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I know there are some car buffs here and people like me that aren't really car buffs, but tinker.

I was over at the Toyota Nation forum and this one guy wanted to paint his car using spray cans. Spray cans is certainly not the way to go, but they posted something that I found interesting. This guy painted his car with a roller and Rustoleum. I thought it was a goof, but guess what - it's not.

Check this out:

http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx

So, if you have a car that needs a paint job and you are not looking for "original" or "showroom" results, this isn't a bad way to go and it's CHEAP.

evenkeel
November 16th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Never seen this with a car but I can tell you the same approach works for boat paint and varnish work.

Another method involves what is called "roll and tip". You roll the paint on, then with a foam brush just drag the tip of the brush over the surface of the paint. Works best with two people as you need to keep a wet edge. I've seen boats that were painted this way and you'd swear it was sprayed.

Finish with a wet sand with 1500 grit paper and a final polish and the results are stunning.

Steve206
November 16th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I used to live on a barrier island, off the coast of Florida. It was way back there, in my scufflin' days.

I ended up with a 61 Mercedes 190 sedan. I decided to restore the car. Then found out what kind of money that a real restoration was going to cost. Immediately, revised the plans to go about the work, on the fringes.

I lived on the beach. Decided to paint the car, the color of the sand. Get a decent beige tone, apply the paint with a roller, and from a distance of a couple of feet, throw the sugar sand onto the painted surface. End up with a kind of sharkskin. It was a 4 door and I was going to cut the top out of it and turn it into a cabriolet. Replace the seats with beach chairs and leave it out in the elements.

The original idea was to decoupage the entire car with newspaper frontpages. Different news events from different times. Then, came up with the idea of creating fake headlines about my own fantasy exploits and affixing them to the car. Which, in turn, led to the idea of applying my own original stories to the car.

I had it in my mind, that folks could stop near my car and read a little something and go on their way, somehow, the richer for it.

I guess I had better stop sharing now,,,,

Steve

warren0728
November 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM
please tell me you have pics of said mercedes steve! :beer:

just strum
November 16th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Steve, apparently LSD was plentiful on that beach.

When I was reading your post, Lennon's Rolls came to mind - except he had a little more cash on hand for his adventure.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/johnlennon_rr.jpg

poodlesrule
November 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM
A motorcycle acquaintance of mine had great luck applying truckbed Rhino coating to his older Suzuki motorcycle...
The thinking was, tough, durable, inexpensive, easy to apply!
Looked great when fresh, a bit grainy, then, the coating stated to turn... pink!
Definitely a conversation piece.

He sold it as is and it was reported going strong for a long while longer, still in its pink livery....