PDA

View Full Version : CB's debut

luvmyshiner
November 16th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Ok, hopefully this will work. I still have a lot to learn so I'll apologize in advance for all the problems. At any rate here you go, CB on vocals and Shiner on the 12 string.

http://www.box.net/shared/r1yghqbviy

warren0728
November 16th, 2008, 06:42 PM
hey shiner....is there any way to pump up the volume....i can barely hear it.... :confused:

luvmyshiner
November 16th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Yeah, you'll have to crank it up Warren. From what I've been able to tell there is a problem with the Tascam when you mic into it directly. Some of the guys on the Tascam forum use mic pre-amps to solve the problem, but for now that's the best I can do.

just strum
November 16th, 2008, 06:48 PM
the sound needs to be worked on, but I am impressed with the vocals and guitar. Now is that just Shiner on guitar and CB on vocals or are both of you playing guitar?

Also, I remember when the Beatles first came out people would comment that when they sang they had no British accent. I guess the same holds true for the Texas accent.

just strum
November 16th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Forgive my ignorance, what is the songs title? Original or cover?

warren0728
November 16th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Yeah, you'll have to crank it up Warren. From what I've been able to tell there is a problem with the Tascam when you mic into it directly. Some of the guys on the Tascam forum use mic pre-amps to solve the problem, but for now that's the best I can do.
ok....gonna download it and see if i have better luck (i'm on my laptop so the volume isn't the best anyways)....

warren0728
November 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM
ok....much better luck downloading and playing it through better speakers....really nice job....cb you have a....dare i say....sexy voice.... :pancake:

if i were shiner....i would want you singing to me all the time!! :bravo:

oh yeah....i almost forgot....good playing shiner.... :beer: :poke:

luvmyshiner
November 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Strummy, that's me on the 12 string and CB on vocals with a little bit of reverb.

Warren, from what I've been able to tell the specs are lacking when it comes to input on the DP-01 series, thus the low volume. I had everything cranked up almost to max when I recorded and mastered it. I might be able to correct that flaw with Audacity, but since tonight was the first night I used the program I don't know. If that doesn't work, looks like Shiner will be getting a couple of mic pre-amphs for Christmas.:beer:

luvmyshiner
November 16th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks Warren! And I loves it when the little lady sings to me.:D

Sorry Strummy, almost forgot. The group is Garbage, and the name of the song is "You Look So Fine".

just strum
November 16th, 2008, 07:07 PM
ok....much better luck downloading and playing it through better speakers....really nice job....cb you have a....dare i say....sexy voice.... :pancake:

I think he's bs'ing us. I think it was Shiner singing and CB playing guitar. You should have a REAL enjoyable visit if you ever make that visit to Waco - the bed being mic'd is starting to get a little clearer.

warren0728
November 16th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks Warren! And I loves it when the little lady sings to me.:D

i have to say i think it's really cool that the two of you share such a love and talent for music....if i decide to start dating again it would be cool to find someone who shares my love of music (both listening to and playing)....you guys have something pretty special!! :beer:

Algonquin
November 16th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Beautiful job kids :bravo:

Simple and clean... very easy on the ears. CB, your voice has a wonderful resemblance to Johnette Napolitano.

Childbride
November 16th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Also, I remember when the Beatles first came out people would comment that when they sang they had no British accent. I guess the same holds true for the Texas accent.

:thwap: :tongue:

i KNEW you would say that, Strummy. just flippin knew it. [laugh]

actually, if you listen again, i drop a g in there. [bleedin'] selah.

thank you, warren, you are sweet. i was expecting eggs and various vegetable products being thrown at us. [o, wait, the night's not over yet... :rotflmao: ]

Childbride
November 16th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Beautiful job kids :bravo:

Simple and clean... very easy on the ears. CB, your voice has a wonderful resemblance to Johnette Napolitano.

really? [blush] i think she's the bomb.

i'm just the aftermath. but thank you.

Algonquin
November 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM
really? [blush] i think she's the bomb.
Well here's hoping you and Shiner put together a Concrete Clonde tune up here one day :AOK:

I think it's gerat the recent activity in the home recording section here on the Fret! Keep it coming Folks :bravo:

Katastrophe
November 16th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Excellent work, Shiner and CB! Both the playing and vocals are fantastic.

Baby Kat started dancing and clapping her hands to the music, which is her two year old official seal of approval!:AOK:

just strum
November 16th, 2008, 07:25 PM
CB, I'm mailing you a recording contract. I want to get you signed and get you in the studio and on tour.

Shiner can come too, but he will have to work for tips.

luvmyshiner
November 16th, 2008, 07:32 PM
We're both huge Concrete Blond fans Algonquin. I just down loaded several tabs for "Joey" and we'll see what we can do.:AOK:

Kat, tell baby Kat she's very kind. Uncle Shiner appreciates it.

It's funny Warren, I played guitar for about six months before CB finally broke down and started playing. For months I knew she wanted to, but she wasn't willing to sacrifice the fingernails. Strummy will remember how look it took her to finally start posting over on the "W" forum. When she finally cut the fingernails, I bought her a solid wood six string dread, and she was hooked.

evenkeel
November 16th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Great Stuff Shiners!!! :bravo: :bravo:

Repeating myself, but damn CB, you've got a terrific voice. Take a big breath and let her rip. :master: :beer:

oldguy
November 16th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Great job, CB and Shiner!!!:bravo:
I plugged in the headphones, cranked the volume to 100 on the laptop, and was smiling from start to end:D ....... I love to hear new Fretter's tunes, and you two were great! Especially for a first post.......hell, for a tenth post........good steady rhythm on guitar, great vocals, great choice of song for CB's voice.
Thanks for posting this........can't wait to hear what you two come up with when you get the Tascam figured out........:beer:

helliott
November 16th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Really nice interpretation of this song. Loved the vocals and simple guitar part. Sounds like the singing is pretty raw and natural, which is awsome. Skilled studio heads will reverb and eq it up, but I think it sounded pretty great in that raw and stripped down version.

warren0728
November 16th, 2008, 08:00 PM
sounds like the singing is pretty raw and natural....I think it sounded pretty great in that raw and stripped down version.
sounds like the way i make pancakes.... :pancake: :bootyshake: :rotflmao:

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Really nice interpretation of this song. Loved the vocals and simple guitar part. Sounds like the singing is pretty raw and natural, which is awsome. Skilled studio heads will reverb and eq it up, but I think it sounded pretty great in that raw and stripped down version.

Agreed! I really, really like the vocal. It transmits the emotion so well, and that is best stripped down in my opinion. As long as you can sing, and CB, you sure can. Good job!

You too Shiner. Nice guitar accompaniment! :AOK:

Childbride
November 16th, 2008, 08:32 PM
We're both huge Concrete Blond fans Algonquin. I just down loaded several tabs for "Joey" and we'll see what we can do.:AOK:

Kat, tell baby Kat she's very kind. Uncle Shiner appreciates it.

Ditto to Baby Kat. :)

we just took an intro stab at 'joey'. dang. that takes some belting. we'll see. but i adore that song.

street music
November 16th, 2008, 09:17 PM
My gosh! CB, I LOVE YOU! , Shiner you did a fine job on the 12 string but man those vocals of CB are just heart melting. I will purchase the CD when it's ready.:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

luvmyshiner
November 16th, 2008, 09:37 PM
The CD is on its way Street. Price is $1,000,000.00 plus tax. I know that's a lot, but I only need to sell one . . . then I can retire.:beer:

street music
November 16th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Does that include the forum member discount??????:D

tjcurtin1
November 16th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Wow, really nice work guys! CB, you've been singing for a while even if you've only recently started playing, no? Shiner, nice clean and even accompaniment.

oldguy
November 16th, 2008, 09:51 PM
The CD is on its way Street. Price is $1,000,000.00 plus tax. I know that's a lot, but I only need to sell one . . . then I can retire.:beer:

Do you take checks????????

(I'm currently out, but asking as a favor to other members.....):D

Childbride
November 16th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Wow, really nice work guys! CB, you've been singing for a while even if you've only recently started playing, no? Shiner, nice clean and even accompaniment.

ummm... about that. i used to love to sing as a kid in the car. my dad told me to hush, that i sung horribly, and so i got hugely self-conscious about my singing, and wouldn't ever sing in front of anyone. i only sing in the car, alone, when i'm going out of county to court, or when shiner asks me to sing for him while he's playing.

this was a huge thing for me. i'm very self-conscious about my voice and my playing, both of which are juvenile and undeveloped.

piebaldpython
November 16th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Great tune. Nice playing and just SUPERB singing. :bravo:
You have a "smokiness" to your voice; nice phrasing, etc. Your voice is "different" than most (I mean that in a POSITIVE way); there's an alluring quality to it that makes one want to hear some more tunes. :beer:

SuperSwede
November 17th, 2008, 03:19 AM
:bravo: Wow! Good job!:bravo:

The volume levels were a little uneven but I too love that raw non-mastered sound.

Justaguyin_nc
November 17th, 2008, 04:13 AM
this was a huge thing for me. i'm very self-conscious about my voice and my playing, both of which are juvenile and undeveloped.

Well throw those inhibitions away!
I thought the recording was low but the content was well done...
really like the singing and thought the guitar player was purdddy good to!

:bravo: :beer: :bravo:

M29
November 17th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Very nice CB and Shiner, very nice indeed. You are on your way, lets hear another:AOK:

M

PAPPY
November 17th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Well guys once again I say that was a fantastic job. I guess knowing and watching the two of you since you first began in the art of making music makes this recording a little more special to me.

CB you can now throw that self-consciousness out the window cause your through with it and this recording just proved your DAD was wrong. Great job girl, look out PEARL.

Shiner, you know, noone ever comments much on what or how your doing because you are good at keeping things hid (must be your lawyer experience) but when you first started I got a glimpse of your nervousness also and I sensed a little bit of that nervousness before the recording started. You did good man! You can play in my band any ole time but bring your own shiner. Great job both of you.

Robert
November 17th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Sounded good! Nice voice and good strumming!

Steve206
November 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Wowie-Zowie,,,,,

For a first time out, you have certainly hit the target.

If I had done that well on my first attempt, I would be feeling immense pride and satisfaction. And that noise that you are hearing in the background??? just one of those doors opening, waiting for you,,,,,,

Congratulations,,,,

Steve

bigoldron
November 17th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Great job guys! Shiner, your playing is very nice, smooth and consistent.

CB YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!! I am very impressed with your voice. Kinda reminds me of Phoebe Snow. I love a good alto voice that has a little grit/smokiness/whatever you want to call it and you definitely pull it off.

So now we know that our Fret's Conscience/Birthday Prompter/Spiritual Awareness Guru can not only PLAY, but she can SING TOO!!! Way to go CB!!!
:AOK: :dude: :rockon: :R :bravo: :master:

BTW, I'd like a copy of the CD too! With all the credit card offers I'm getting in, I should be able to scrape up the $1 million. :rotflmao: :D :poke:

aeolian
November 17th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Terrific performance from both of you!

I'm a huge Garbage fan, I love much of the stuff that they've put out. And Shirley Manson is pretty amazing. But CB, you do the song justice with your vocals and Shiner does the song justice with his rhythm work.

just strum
November 17th, 2008, 11:19 AM

and CB can continue to work?

zeusse
November 17th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Its got a little of that early Neil Young vibe to it too...well done guys a relaxing treat to listen to:bravo:

Guitar Gal
November 17th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Sweeeet :dude:

Great debut for the two of you :bravo: Nice playing Shiner and awesome vocals CB :AOK:

The two of you have set the bar pretty high for the newbs :D

GG

luvmyshiner
November 17th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Y'all are very kind, but I'm just beginning to grasp the enormity of what I have to learn here. I just downloaded the 156 page manual for Audacity to try to figure out how to solve some of the problems. But that's ok, I just have to keep reminding myself that this is a hobby and I don't need to take it so seriously.

sunvalleylaw
November 17th, 2008, 06:46 PM
We may be kind, but still, you guys did a great job. And by all means, don't take it too seriously! It is about fun after all.

ET335
November 17th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Very Very nicely done Shiner and CB.

A Great job for a first recording....Shiner you did A great job on the 12 string and CB you did a wonderful job on the singing...you do have beautiful voice.

You two keep it up,you are doing great!!:bravo: :bravo:

duhvoodooman
November 17th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Wow, that was really good, guys! Coulda been a bit louder, for sure, but you both sounded great. Keep 'em comin'!! :AOK: :dude: :rockon: :bravo: :beer:

oldguy
November 17th, 2008, 08:38 PM
We may be kind, but still, you guys did a great job. And by all means, don't take it too seriously! It is about fun after all.

Why sure........ that's whay they call it "playing".........as opposed to working.
"I have to learn how to work this......" as opposed to........

"I'll play with this later and let you know how it feels......"
"MMmmm.....it feels good......"..........

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Childbride
November 17th, 2008, 08:51 PM
thank you all, very sincerely and humbly, from the shiners. my husband played wonderfully, and i deeply appreciate all of his encouragement and support.

we are already working on another offering.

this inspires me to work harder. :)

thank you again.
k

wingsdad
November 18th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Sorry for taking a while...I listened to you guys's tune, and sent e-mails and pms...meanwhile, here's the answer to your low-volume/level problem with the mic and the Tascam...

There's nothing wrong with the machine...it's just a typically poorly written (for hobbyists) manual (I downloaded it and checked things out) that assumes hobbyists would know about things like impedance-matching of line-level signals to get strong enough gain....

EDIT: The XLR inputs of the Tascam should work fine for condenser mics, using the onboard 48V phantom power. But for low impedance (Lo-z) Dynamic mics like an SM58 or 57, they just won't cut the mustard. That's not what they're intended for. The 1/4" input jacks, on the other hand, are for guitars and hi-impedance line level signals...like a hi-impedance dynamic mic. So you have to 'convert' the SM58 to work with the 1/4" inputs.
I just copied this from a pm I just sent ya...

OK, now my feeble ol' head 'members....using my SM-58 with a Teac/Tascam cassette machine, and my old Yamaha Cassette 4-track, that only has 1/4" inputs, you NEED one of these to convert the Low Impedance ('Lo-Z') balanced signal of the SM58 (with it's XLR cable to a High Impedance (Hi-Z) unbalanced signal with a 1/4" plug.

They're $20 but you need one for each Lo-Z mic you'd use at once. You don't need any mixers or preamps if you get one (or 2) of these.

Line-Matching Transformer (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIT435/)

I got mine 25 years ago at Radio Shack(Archer Part #274-016) and it was still almost 20 bucks then...If you're in a hurry and have a Shack in Waco, check it out. otherwise, order it from Sweetwater (no tax, no shipping, but it will take 4 days.)

This way, you'll plug the SM58 directly into the 1/4" input in the front of your DP01, and then turn up the Input Trim knob to get a good strong gain....with the machine in Record/Pause mode to set levels, your Input/track fader first set at the 'unity gain' mark (do you know what I mean there....heavy white lines about 75-80%% of the way to the top?)

pes_laul
November 21st, 2008, 10:22 PM
wow sorry I came so late (no high speed at my moms houses)

but I got to say really good job CB you have a really nice voice.

and good job with the 12-string shiner :AOK:

player
November 21st, 2008, 11:34 PM
Excellent Shiners.nice guitar work and as Warren said K /CB has a beautiful voice and it does sound sexy.love to have her sing to or at me anytime or any day.no wonder he wants to get her a contract..I would too if I still had studio access.keep it coming you two :bravo: