PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - Not Exactly "The Boss"

jasongins
November 16th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Ok guitar friends, I need you to give this a listen and give me some advice. This is me playing Prove it All Night by "The Boss" over a midi track I doctored up in Garageband. My wife and I were invited to a holiday party by a new friend of hers. It came up in discussion that I play guitar, and that her husband sings, so we are looking at putting something together for the party. I've heard him sing, and he is a better singer than I am a guitar player (i've been playing just 2 years now). It was also mentioned he likes to do Springsteen, so I set out about learning some. I wouldn't mind playing in front of my own friends and sucking, because it would be fun no matter what happened. But playing in front of people I don't know at a fairly intimate house party has me nervous.

Listen to this recoding and tell me if I should be doing this or not. The party is just a month away now. Also, please feel free to record a solo after the sax solo and re-post the track. I haven't tackled the solo yet myself.

Prove it All Night (http://www.box.net/shared/emdmns5jkv)

Recording was done with my MIM Strat through Garageband using GuitarRig3 as a plug-in. Setting was a dual amp tone using two "Tweedman" amps, one with a tubescreamer, the other a little cleaner.

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Hey, I think you are doing well. You play rhythm better than I do for sure. The only thing I think is lacking is a real piano sound. The actual acoustic piano is a key piece. Oh, and the midi saxaphone does not hold a candle to Clarence, but waddya gonna do. Seriously, I thought the guitar part was great, and a good vocal over the top will be very presentable.

The other part I wonder about is how intimate is this party? This song needs to be a little loud in my opinion. Rock on Jason, good job. :AOK:

jasongins
November 16th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks Steve. I know the piano and sax are ridiculous. I don't own any better software instruments, but I have a friend who does. I can continue to improve the track.

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2008, 11:40 PM
P.S. I say your playing is solid and go do it. Even if you don't make the track that much better, it will sound good!

jasongins
November 16th, 2008, 11:43 PM
P.S. I say your playing is solid and go do it. Even if you don't make the track that much better, it will sound good!

Actually, I don't think I can get out of doing it at this point without causing a problem.:thwap:

SuperSwede
November 17th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Its sounds good Jasongins! Nothing more fun that Guitar Rig :)

Its going to be a good gig :)

oldguy
November 17th, 2008, 05:39 AM
That sounded good!:AOK:
I don't think you're going to get anything but compliments.
(and if anyone decided to play the critic, you could smile politely and tell them donations are always welcomed to help you upgrade your gear.....:D )

warren0728
November 17th, 2008, 08:15 AM
nice job jason....enjoy the gig! :beer:

Algonquin
November 17th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Sounds great to me.

I think playing in someones house at a holiday party will be ideal. Everyone will be festive and receptive I'm sure.

Have fun with it, and play with a big smile on your face and you can't go wrong :AOK:

aeolian
November 17th, 2008, 11:31 AM
You play plenty well enough to do this, specially with a backing track and a singer to handle the spotlight. Do a couple of practices with your friend ahead of time, because you don't want surprises like "Oh, I sing it in a different key" when the time comes. I'm sure you will do great and have a great time too.

jasongins
November 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Y...Do a couple of practices with your friend ahead of time, because you don't want surprises like "Oh, I sing it in a different key" when the time comes.....

Good thinking, that would be a nightmare.

ted s
November 17th, 2008, 01:38 PM
J, nothing wrong with your rhythm chops at all ! That's good stuff !

M29
November 18th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Sounded plenty good to me, you will do great and then comes the compliments. Oh yeah, your gunna get em and well deserved I might add.