PDA

View Full Version : Fasting - who did it already?

Jimi75
November 17th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Hi friends,

Whom of you already did a fasting? What were your experiences with it? I do not only mean the traditional medical or religious way of fasting, but also controlled and planned fasting like for e.g. not eating meat and drinking alcohol for a certain time period, or also to do without playing guitar, watching tv etc.

I have recently thought a lot about fasting. Fasting seems to have a lot of positive effect on your mind and health. I only once did a what I call "little experiment" when I put the guitar away for four weeks. This was a planned action and I hoped to get the lust for guitarplaying back. Playing for the first time again after four weeks was mindblowing, but is this already a form of fasting? I am looking for a more extreme way in the sense of doing without certain food and doing without certain pleasures.

Greetz
J75

Glacies
November 17th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I really love drinking, but not in a dangerous way. I love fine tequilas, scotches, rums, bourbons, wines and beers. I even brew my own beer and wine, but since both my father and my mother struggled with abuse thier entired lives, sometimes I take an extended break just to remind myself that I'm in complete control. My GF is a therapist and she tells me that I don't have it in me, but sometimes I just like to prove it to myself.

Spudman
November 17th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I don't recommend fasting. During the period that you refrain from intake you are at the same time depriving your body of essential micro nutrients that are needed for healthy brain and heart function.

I did manage to fast for about 6 weeks a year and a half ago when I got West Nile virus. It wasn't my choice to do so but I couldn't eat anything so I didn't. I don't advocate either.

Robert
November 17th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I just did it when I went to university and was broke and couldn't afford to buy food for a few days. :)

tjcurtin1
November 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I get your idea of choosing something to "put down" for a period of time as a conscious exercise at self-control. I did it as an experiment once, and found that it did feel good to test one's measure of self-control. In that regard I think it is healthy - thanks for the reminder, it would be good to do it again!

sumitomo
November 17th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I,m going to do a fast in Jan.-Mar. next year.I am going to fast from work for three months.I have been planning this for some time now.Sumi:D

tjcurtin1
November 18th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I,m going to do a fast in Jan.-Mar. next year.I am going to fast from work for three months.I have been planning this for some time now.Sumi:D

I hear you can take a lot off your credit line that way...

If you're in England, you'll shed pounds from your bank account...

It's also a sure cure for GAS...:poke:

marnold
November 18th, 2008, 08:54 PM
When I looked at this thread subject tonight, I initially read the first word as if it had an "r" instead of an "s".

street music
November 18th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Not by my choice but my wife has caused me to fast from her a few times. :D

No really, doing without things you love can cause one to desire those things more than ever. I have held off on Chocolate chip cookies for a week at a time, then gradually go back to eating 4 a day- LOVE THEM COOKIES.:rotflmao:

sumitomo
November 26th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I hear you can take a lot off your credit line that way...

If you're in England, you'll shed pounds from your bank account...

It's also a sure cure for GAS...:poke:

Really I'm taking 3mts off work,I'm a workaholic and not working on cars for this amount of time will be tough.I will be working,building a house(something I know nothing about)so it should be a good challange,along with the language cause I'll be in South America.Sumi:D

tjcurtin1
November 26th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Sorry for being off topic... Sumi, are you doing a Habitat for Humanity kind of thing?

Andy
November 27th, 2008, 07:01 PM
In this country , there are no too many people "fasting" right now.

more like feasting

just strum
November 27th, 2008, 07:02 PM
In this country , there are no too many people "fasting" right now.

more like feasting

I'm belching.

SuperSwede
November 28th, 2008, 09:51 AM
...and drinking alcohol for a certain time period...
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: People do that????

sumitomo
November 28th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Sorry for being off topic... Sumi, are you doing a Habitat for Humanity kind of thing?

Not quite,I have some land down there and the house is for me,I want to set up a retreat so Americans can see how beauitful it is there without having to fight the language barrier.But there is a village kinda of my second family that I like to help out with extra food stuff ect.,their great people just have enough to live and happy about it.I try and learn from that and teach my daughter that stuff is stuff happiness is deeper.When I set this up well its a great place to warm up when the winters are cold.Sumi:D

tjcurtin1
November 28th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Not quite,I have some land down there and the house is for me,I want to set up a retreat so Americans can see how beauitful it is there without having to fight the language barrier.But there is a village kinda of my second family that I like to help out with extra food stuff ect.,their great people just have enough to live and happy about it.I try and learn from that and teach my daughter that stuff is stuff happiness is deeper.When I set this up well its a great place to warm up when the winters are cold.Sumi:D

Wow, sounds cool! There's got to be an interesting back story in there...