PDA

View Full Version : I never understood how people can wear out picks

aeolian
November 17th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I've been messing around with guitars for over 40 years (although you can hardly tell by listening to me) and I don't see how someone can wear out picks. I have to admit I have a couple of thin picks crack on me when I first started playing. When I first got started I used thin picks, but pretty soon I moved to mediums, and then about 10 years ago I went to Dunlop Jazz IIIs (1.38mm). With the Dunlops I have never even noticed any wear on my picks, let alone break them. So if you break picks, what you do that actually wear them out, since I can't say that I have done that except for thin picks when I first got started.

marnold
November 17th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I've got one Fender medium that I've pretty much used 100% of the time until I got my Floyd. The pointy bit is now worn down to the point that it's hard to tell one corner of the pick from another. In the battle of plastic vs. metal, plastic will lose eventually.

Robert
November 17th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I wear them out all the time! They start out with round edges, but after playing a while, they get sharp edges and I don't like the tone of them no moe.

evenkeel
November 17th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I use these goofy things (the heavy version). They definately wear out and I need to replace them. The end gets rounded off and it just feels wrong.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/evenkeel_album/dunlop.jpg

Katastrophe
November 17th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I use these goofy things (the heavy version). They definately wear out and I need to replace them. The end gets rounded off and it just feels wrong.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/evenkeel_album/dunlop.jpg

Okay... where do I get those picks? I've been wanting to try one out, but I don't think anyone in Austin sells 'em.

I usually play with heavy picks, and I've worn a few down significantly. The pointy end gets rounded down with use / abuse.

warren0728
November 17th, 2008, 05:05 PM
i usually lose them before i wear them out.... :thwap:

hubberjub
November 17th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I use Dunlop Jazz Stubby picks. I switch between the 2.0 and 3.0 mm. They typically last about two days before the tip rounds off too much for me to play with. I have been buying them in gross. My problems might be over, however, as I just placed an order for V-Picks last night. We'll see how they work.

Fab4
November 17th, 2008, 05:38 PM
In the DVD of ACDC Live At Donnegal, Angus Young talks about his brother flaying a dozen picks a night at the end of one song. They do an extreme rock'n'roll ending and Malcom stands there grinding picks down on the heavy strings of his Gretsch, with bits of pick flying around like snow flakes.

Anyone who's ever done a bluegrass rhythm gig on an acoustic knows how that works. Along with wearing down heavy purple Fender Delrin picks, I also get bluegrass elbow after a few endless choruses of Orange Blossom Special. Ugh...

Ch0jin
November 17th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I've been using Dunlop Tortex 1mm's for ages and whilst I've never worn them to the point you couldn't use one, they do get all chewed out on the sides and I usually run a fingernail over the edges to kind of smooth the rough bits down before playing. I bought a huge bag of them though so I have dozens of them scattered all over my unit and clothing. They just turn up everywhere these days.

Anyway, given I'm only playing for an hour or so a day and I'm seeing wear, I would imagine a gigging guitar player would wear them out. Especially if they play heavy and fast on thick strings. I've been tempted to try some of the picks made of harder materials just to see what they sound like, but I have pretty sloppy technique and my favourite guitar has no pick guard so I'm scared of carving up the top of the guitar.

just strum
November 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM
This started out round

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/DSC00285.jpg

Fab4
November 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM
So...did you wear that quarter down by playing guitar with it, or was there a file involved somewhere along the way?

just strum
November 17th, 2008, 06:04 PM
So...did you wear that quarter down by playing guitar with it, or was there a file involved somewhere along the way?

A file, but shhhhhh, the rest of them think I wore it down playing.

ted s
November 17th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Mine get worn out turning small slot screws.

oldguy
November 17th, 2008, 06:30 PM
i usually lose them before i wear them out.... :thwap:

Ditto..............

Ch0jin
November 17th, 2008, 07:34 PM
This started out round

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/DSC00285.jpg

Is that a special coin (like a really old one or something) or just a regular one? I've seen you post about it before and I'm curious :)

(actually I just want to find out if it's a current circulation coin so I can narc you into the feds for defacing currency) heehehehehehe

just strum
November 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM
(actually I just want to find out if it's a current circulation coin so I can narc you into the feds for defacing currency) heehehehehehe

It's a 1942, nothing special.

If you are turning me in I have to tell you I got it from a guy in Waco and if I'm faced with prosecution, I can supply his address.

You are going to have to hurry because he's about to become a multi million dollar recording artist and record exec. That means he's a flight risk.

evenkeel
November 17th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Okay... where do I get those picks? I've been wanting to try one out, but I don't think anyone in Austin sells 'em.

Both the local Sam Ash and Guitar center sell them, but check your messages for a better deal. :)

markb
November 17th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I have an unpleasant habit (I can hear my partner saying "just the one?" if she were reading this) of popping my picks in my mouth during fingerstyle passages. The teeth marks that result from concentrating on the part create stress risers and the celluloid picks just snap in half after a little of this.

M29
November 17th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Mine keeps getting stuck in the crack.

Katastrophe
November 17th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Mine keeps getting stuck in the crack.

Ewwwww. :messedup:

From now on, use crack spackle:

q55bdcN0UQc

It'll fix that problem right up.:D

M29
November 17th, 2008, 09:09 PM
No man, the crack of the couch, the couch:rockon: :D

Childbride
November 17th, 2008, 10:08 PM
y'all are funny. :rotflmao:

[isn't it amusing that spell check doesn't catch you on y'all? what's up with that?] :D

i usu lose them before i get to wear them down.

albeit i'm in wait for a peso pick; we'll see if i can hold on to that one. :)

aeolian
November 18th, 2008, 10:20 AM
albeit i'm in wait for a peso pick; we'll see if i can hold on to that one. :)

I have never been successful holding onto money. I just checked my pockets and I have a guitar pick, but no money.

M29
November 18th, 2008, 10:27 AM
My picks wear out on the point and get round and stubby like the other two points. Sometimes they crack.

ZMAN
November 18th, 2008, 12:01 PM
That is one of the perks about getting old. I can almost watch my finger nails grow and they are hard as a rock. Great for picking. I even alctually like the tone from them over my picks.

Plank_Spanker
November 18th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I lose all of mine before they have the chance to get old.