PDA

View Full Version : USA vs UK Live Music on TV (Rant!)

Lev
November 18th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Living in Ireland I'm in the lucky position of getting most of the UK TV channels along with quite a few US shows on satellite. I'm always struck by how audiences in the UK and Europe tend to tolerate either musicians lip syncing on TV or the singer singing but the band miming to a backing track behind them.

I rarely see this on US TV where anyone who appears on Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, Letterman etc is expected to perform and sing live. There seems to be a culture in the US where to make it in the music industry you have to prove you can sing and play to millions on TV - this is a good thing.

Another example of this is the UK's XFactor show (Simon Cowells UK version of American Idol). Each week the contestant perform to a 'backing track' - no live band!! This is one of the most watched shows on TV but they don't bother with a band, it's as if in the UK they think the audience don't know any better. At least with American Idol the contestants have to play with a live band each week - and the live band are excellent.

Another phenomenon that we see in the UK and Europe is the 5 piece Boyband where only one or two of them can sing. What is up with that? I'm sorry to say that Ireland is the worst culprit here producing two such boybands, Boyzone and Westlife - both 5 piece 'harmony groups' where only two members can actually sing. The other three mime the backing vocals to a (yes you guested it) pre-recorded backing track. At least with similar acts in the US all the members can generally sing (N'Sync & Backstreet Boys).

I have so much more respect for singers and groups that make it in the US, at least they have to be able to do their stuff live with a live band. In the UK acts are now so manufactured that they don't even need to be able to play live.

oldguy
November 18th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Wow, Lev, you really are ranting! :D (joking)

That's cool as well as interesting you having access to shows from both sides of the water, as it were. Not having access UK tele, I'd always assumed the "other" versions of 'ol Simon's shows were probably better, being his originals. And I've never bothered to check the web for videos.
Thanks for the info, very informative. Now I gotta go check for some vids!:)

sunvalleylaw
November 18th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I guess ever since Milli Vanilli, most people, and most programmers, steered away from the lip sync thing.

Katastrophe
November 18th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I think to a certain degree that fashion and image are emphasized more in other areas of the world (not that it isn't affecting the US as well...).

But, we had our shows, like American Bandstand, where it was all lip synching. Anyone remember "Solid Gold" in the 80s?

marnold
November 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I guess ever since Milli Vanilli, most people, and most programmers, steered away from the lip sync thing.
I think you're right with that. As Kat pointed out, there used to be a bunch of programs like that where the artists would lip sync their own songs. That's taboo anymore. Whitney Houston even got flak for lip syncing the national anthem at the Super Bowl. Of course, there's the infamous SNL incident a few years ago where Ashley Simpson was caught pseudo-lip-syncing when the wrong pre-recorded track started playing. I say "pseudo" because I got the feeling that they were performing with the track instead of just lip syncing.

Lev
November 18th, 2008, 10:31 AM
It's not somuch the lip syncing that annoys me (people who are prepared to do that aren't usually artists I want to watch). It's more the lack of effort in keeping the whole performances live. As a guitarist I like to listen to any instrument being played live, I feel short changed when I have to look at a guitarist silently strumming or a drummer banging cymbals that aren't even mic'd up.

For example there was a Irish TV talk show on last week and the music guests were Tom Jones and Simply Red. Neither would be in my top 100 but I'd give them a listen if they came on TV. Tom came out first and sang to a backing trcak with 5 muscicans behind him pretending to play along, typical!! Then an hour later Simply Red were introduced with Mick Hucknall singing live with the same 5 guys miming behind him. I recognised a couple of the guys behind them from other TV shows and they are neither members of Simply Red or Tom Jones backing band. To add insult after his performance Mick Hucknall turned and applauded the band that weren't even playing!!

That kinda thing is common place on UK and Irish TV but I never see it on US TV. I can only assume that US audiences are more discerning when it comes to live music and TV bosses no they couldn't get away with it.

For that you guys state-side should be thankful!!

Tone2TheBone
November 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I think you're right with that. As Kat pointed out, there used to be a bunch of programs like that where the artists would lip sync their own songs. That's taboo anymore. Whitney Houston even got flak for lip syncing the national anthem at the Super Bowl. Of course, there's the infamous SNL incident a few years ago where Ashley Simpson was caught pseudo-lip-syncing when the wrong pre-recorded track started playing. I say "pseudo" because I got the feeling that they were performing with the track instead of just lip syncing.

I remember seeing that and the band actually started playing the song after she walked offstage so yeah they were ready to play with the track but you could tell the guys in the band were both pissed and embarresed. The other day I saw a clip of Avril screaming Live and Let Die and I was surprised she couldn't sing in key....erm scream in key. I hate corporate products and puppets.

Ch0jin
November 18th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Well I'm not fan of lip synch, but in the history of Australian music it had it's place.

Back in the day 70's and 80's THE music show in Australia was Countdown. Hosted by Ian "Molly" Meldrum. I've read and heard in interviews from Molly that the intent was to force all the studio acts to perform live, but sadly a LOT of local and international artists refused to perform live resulting in many of the performances being lipsynched.

As you can read here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countdown_(Australian_TV_series))if your interested, even with the lip synch the show helped shape popular music in Australia more than any other TV show ever has (or ever will)

When bands did play live though, boy did fun ensue. Iconic Aussie band Cold Chisel performed very live and very drunk in 1981. Singer Jimmy Barnes was swigging from a bottle of vodka and at the end of the song they smashed the set and then slagged off the sponsor of the show (TV Week) for cashing in on the new popularity of hard rock in Australia.

There's also footage somewhere were Molly gets so hammered he disappears and lets one of the bands finish off the show for him.

Ahh good times.

Anyway......

t_ross33
November 18th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I'm gonna guess that it is just "safer" to have a group lip sync on a TV spot. And easier - don't have to waste time mic-ing up or sound checking, just plug and play - heck I've seen backing bands where the guitars aren't plugged in to ANYTHING :rotflmao: After all, time is money, and to be fair, many artists are booked to do more than one show in more than one venue in a day. By the time they get through hair and makeup at each, there would be no time to sound check anyway. I think it's just a matter of convenience.

That said, I personally think it sounds and looks shoddy. I'd rather see and hear a live band any day. :dude:

Ch0jin
November 18th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I have no idea if it's broadcast outside of Australia, probably not, but if you get the chance you need to catch a Music Quiz show called Rockwiz.

1. It's filmed in a (great) pub.
2. There's a real band. No canned intro's or theme song etc.
3. Every show they get two musicians to play one song solo at the start, and a duet at the end. Again, no miming, all live in front of a pub crowd.
4. The guitarist/hammond organ guy seems to use the same butterscotch Tele (which is actually Fernandes Telecaster copy made in Japan) and Tweed Champ (which isn't a Fender Champ, it's a 1940's era Maton with a 12" Rola) every show so it's cool to see how many different sounds he can squeeze out of it.

Typically the artists are pretty interesting too. Recently they had Tony Hadley from Spandau Ballet who admitted on air that "I thought I was only turning up to play one song and then going home" haha.

Real good stuff though if you have the chance to check it out.