PDA

View Full Version : The "other" home.

oldguy
November 18th, 2008, 05:46 AM
I've noticed from other threads that some of us travel/live away from our primary domains. For me it's a camper through the week. It's nice to be able to find a spot to park on a farm outside of Kansas City rather than a trailer park. I arrived here Sun. evening just before sunset, and just took a look around. Then I took a couple of pics.
It's a 20 min. drive to work each morning, but worth it to me. I like this much better than motel rooms, plus I'm the type that's comfortable with solitude and prefer the sounds of owls, coyotes, and bullfrogs to traffic noises at night.:D

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_1154922a80ee4ad4.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=813)

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_1154922a80f6c222.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=814)

F_BSurfer
November 18th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Have to agree ......Would prefer to stay in camper than motel over the last 25 yrs it has led to some interesting stories and good memories,and some not so good winter in North Dakota or Wyoming not so good.

sunvalleylaw
November 18th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I agree with you there. Nice pics! That first pic looks like a sailor's delight!

Algonquin
November 18th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I don't have to travel for my job, but I think I'd do exactly the same as you're doing Glenn. The nights are colder and longer now, so I take it you've got yourself a good heater in there.

And coyotes are absolutely better to listen to than the sound of traffic outside of a highway motel.

Ch0jin
November 20th, 2008, 10:40 PM
OK I'm curious.

When you say Coyote's does it sound like "K eye o tee" or "K eye oat" (as in boat)

Oh and I used to travel loads for work too, but I love me some hotels. I spent 6 months in a caravan with two sisters and my parents driving all over Australia when I was a kid. That's enough for one lifetime.

Dreadman
November 20th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Awesome stuff OG. We're definately birds of a feather and if I traveled for work that's exactly how I'd do it. I may be in the minority here but I don't know what you do. Sales? Traveling Wilbury? Assassin?

Steve206
November 21st, 2008, 12:19 AM
Old Guy,,

Back in the day when I was working as a union laborer in the state of Florida, I watched a lot of campers and small RVs parked in the lot.

This was back in the 70s and there were not a whole lot of big jobs going on in the southeast. I talked with guys who would stay in the parking lot from monday until friday and then drive back into Dothan, Alabama or whatever town they were from, for the weekend.

Apparently, the money from the union job was so good, that it made sense, economically. I remember talking to Welder/Pipefitters from Pascagoula. It just may be that the days of decent wages are slipping away.

Down here, in south west florida, the only new neighborhoods are the ones with a gate in front.

Where's John Galt?

Steve

just strum
November 21st, 2008, 06:56 AM
Awesome stuff OG. We're definately birds of a feather and if I traveled for work that's exactly how I'd do it. I may be in the minority here but I don't know what you do. Sales? Traveling Wilbury? Assassin?

He's known in the underworld as the bib overall assassin. Those aren't guitars in all those cases.

street music
November 21st, 2008, 04:50 PM
I'm with you OG, it's nice to be next to the woods.

oldguy
November 22nd, 2008, 05:07 AM
[QUOTE=Ch0jin]OK I'm curious.
When you say Coyote's does it sound like "K eye o tee" or "K eye oat" (as in boat)
QUOTE]

In this part of the country most say K-eye-oat.

oldguy
November 22nd, 2008, 05:12 AM

I survey and stake grades for a construction company. Right now we're doing the grading for a 300+ acre waterpark. I'm using a laptop--bluetooth enabled wireless receiver--GPS system...........I love technology that makes my job easier. Lots better than setting up a transit and dragging around a 200' tape measure all day, plus I don't need an assistant, I can do it by myself.

street music
November 22nd, 2008, 07:16 AM
Oldguy, it's may surprise you that I have the job of using my Trimble GPS unit to at work and have been working since Feb 08 on building a map of our entire powerline system into a detailed map , while also doing line staking using this unit. This week I have been converting the ESRI map data into Partner Mapview form so that our servicemen can have these maps on their laptop computers in the trucks. So we have something else in common.:thwap:

just strum
November 22nd, 2008, 07:25 AM
I survey and stake grades for a construction company.

Oh, that's right, he's not an assassin.:thwap: ;)

oldguy
November 22nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Oldguy, it's may surprise you that I have the job of using my Trimble GPS unit to at work and have been working since Feb 08 on building a map of our entire powerline system into a detailed map , while also doing line staking using this unit. This week I have been converting the ESRI map data into Partner Mapview form so that our servicemen can have these maps on their laptop computers in the trucks. So we have something else in common.:thwap:

Cool! I'm running Leica GNSS w/ Carlson Survey software, (the Intellicad has some bugs, though) on a Panasonic toughbook (much more versatile than a data collector). I seldom do any topo work, that's done by the field survey crew for the contractor, then built into a full-blown drawing file modified to work w/ the Carlson software.
I usually build a centerline and profile file for any streets/roads on the job when time permits, because a triangulation file won't generally allow for the vertical curve data and 2% slope (commonly) on road profiles.
Then I pretty much stake the cuts and fills on the job and update by storing points at grid locations as work progresses. I will be mapping out a re-locate soon. We will have to wait for the power company to move a 16kv power line once things are in place.
Pretty neat knowing there's another guitar player out there running around with a pro GPS system.........it gets so tiresome trying to tell these guys with their little handheld toys how to get back onto I-70........:D :D :D (joking).