PDA

View Full Version : Manufacture of a signature Statocaster

Blaze
November 18th, 2008, 09:30 AM
We see on these clips,the manufacture of Robin Trower's Signature Start., also an interview with the legendary guitarist.

This is a little long but interesting and instructive..

Part 1

xikzwm2nftg

Part 2

KQZKTyOlN5M&feature

Blazes:rockon:

ZMAN
November 18th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Robin is all about his tuning and thick strings. A lot of his tone comes from his signature Marshalls and his pedals. (Fulltone). The thing with him is when he plays a song no matter how many times you hear it, it is EXACTLY the same. I am a huge fan and his Bridge of Sighs would be my number 1 pick for best rock album of all time.
I really like his blues stuff as well.
I was blown away when I heard that he used two blues juniors on his last album. I had heard that but to hear him actually say it was amazing.
I went out and customized my pedal rig to emulate his and as he said it is a really vintage sound.

marnold
November 18th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Sounds like some nice features for a Strat. Was the white one the one that there was only going to be 100 of and the midnight wine one be released more like a Clapton Strat? It was kind of hard to tell from the videos.

I thought it was interesting that Trower seemed just as geeked as when one of us would get a really cool guitar.

bigoldron
November 18th, 2008, 12:59 PM
My God! How good can it get? I'd give no telling what to be 1/4 as good as he is! Trower is without a doubt one of the all-time greats! :master: :master:

I'm inclined to agree with ZMan. If Bridge of Sighs is not the greatest rock album of all times, it'd have to be in the top 5. :AOK:

I'd also love to have either one of those Strat's too! That wine colored is especially awesome! :drool: :drool:

Southern Rock is not the only kind of music I love!!! :bravo: :dude:

Tone2TheBone
November 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I guess this means we're all getting old too huh? Robin is one bad *** momma. And you think they would have run out of trees with all the guitars Spud has. Did I hear Robin say 2 Blues Jrs.? :)

M29
November 18th, 2008, 03:06 PM
What a treat Blazes, thank you for sharing it.

M

sumitomo
November 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Cool vid.Trower also tunes down a whole step and has the action pretty high.At least that's what he said on a tape that I have of him from the 90's.Sumi:D

sunvalleylaw
November 18th, 2008, 05:52 PM
That is fun to watch! I like that midnight wine colored guitar. I really like when he was noodling on it clean in the shop later in the second vid, and when he plays a little of bridge of sighs and the predecessor song during the end of the interview. :AOK:

Andy
November 18th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Bridge of sighs was one of my #1 dope smokin lp's back in the day ,and I went thru atleast 2 copies. nuff said

ZMAN
November 18th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I don't know if you buys caught the part where Todd mentions on the first white guitar that there is only 100 and they will all have a mini deja vibe by fulltone in the case. The Stereo version is 350 bucks, and the regular one is 275. You must have one to sound like Trower. I wonder what the White ones retailed for? I was totally blown away by his latest blues Album "Another days blues" It is and updated version of one of his older CDs.
Great playing. His original singer James Dewar passed away, and his new singer Davie Pattison sounds exactly like Dewar. His living out of time DVD is killer. It has everone from the original band except Dewar and Pattison picks up his part perfectly.

Robert
November 18th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Signature Marshalls? I read an interview with him where he said he uses regular JCM 800 Marshalls. I have played a signature Trower Strat though, and it was really nice. He's a great guitarist for sure.

ZMAN
November 18th, 2008, 11:32 PM
What I mean Robert was his rig was always Marshall amps. He usually uses two amps with two full stacks.
He does have a signature amp though.
http://www.dc-developments.com/cornell_custom_RT100.htm

tunghaichuan
November 19th, 2008, 07:38 AM
From this article in Guitar Player (http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/robin-trower/mar-08/34133):

I’ve got two different setups. In England I use JCM 900s, and in
America I use some JCM 800s that I’ve kept over there for a long time.
I usually use two heads and two 4x12 cabinets, and I crank one of them
and run the other more quietly. Doing that gives me an extra little bit of
spread while allowing me to keep my volume down.

I saw him live a couple times back in the 80s. The first show I got into for free, a friend was writing an article on him for the school paper and had an extra ticket. I seem to remember he had four Marshall 100W stacks, probably JCM800s, which was overkill for the small venue he was playing. It was louder than hell. :dude: Great show, though. :AOK:

tung

Bilsdragon
November 20th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Sweet!!! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to go home and dig out that cd, haven't heard it in a while.

I just played the intro to that song unplugged with the tab. (kids are sleeping) I can't wait to crank it up thru my v18 tomorrow while I'm home alone tomorrow.

Iago
December 5th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I've always seem him playing with JCM 800 Marshalls. He used 2 Blues Jrs. in the "Living Out of Time" album, for solos and some "details" here and there. I think I read in an interview that he used "12s" string gauge. In the DVD, he's using 2 JMC 800 half-stacks as far as I can remember, and the load of Fulltone pedals.

Actually, in the most recent "Robin Trower Band" incarnations only Trower would be a former member. Dave Bronze joined in the late 70s I believe. Before that the band was Trower + James Dewar (vocals and bass) + Reg Isidore (drums), who left after the first album and was replaced by Bill Lordan (who recorded BoS among others). Pattison joined the band in the early 80`s and at least other 2 vocalists/bassists were in the band before Pattison`s return.