PDA

View Full Version : DVM Blues Pedal?

M29
November 18th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Hello,

I guess I could direct this to DVM. I have a MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive pedal that I like but am not thrilled about. It is a bit on the thin side but other than that I love it. The touch sensitivity is awesome and it has a nice open sound. It is just a bit thin in the bottom that kind of bugs me. I looked over your (mouse over) page but cannot get a good idea what would be a good pedal of yours for blues overdrive? I am concerned about the price as well. I can probably get most of my money back from the Blues Pro pedal but do you have a suggestion and maybe a clip or two? I am happy with my Fulltone OCD for distortion so I have that end covered.

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

duhvoodooman
November 18th, 2008, 04:49 PM
If you're interested in a good blues OD pedal from among the BYOC lineup, I'd unreservedly point you to the Overdrive, their clone of the venerated Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-808 circuit. I think SRV's long-time use of the TS-808 should sufficiently establish its pedigree as a blues overdrive! And it remains a staple today on the pedal boards of some of the world's best known blues players.

My ZYS is based upon this kit, albeit heavily modified. But the stock version is a great sounding TS clone at a very reasonable price. I can build one stock for you for $100 for assembled/unfinished or $120 assembled, painted & decaled (shipping extra). Compare that to the TS-808 reissue at $170. Without going to my top-of-the-line ZYS ($200), I can add various tonal, gain or clipping modifications for additional costs that I'd be happy to quote for you, based upon what you're looking for.

If this is still more than you're looking to spend, then go to your favorite local music emporium and check out the DigiTech Bad Monkey. Widely available for $50 or so and a very respectable OD pedal with a much better than average EQ section.

Ch0jin
November 18th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hi M29. I know you were directing your questions to DVM, but I'm needy and crave attention so I'll answer too :)

I've been thinking about "blues" pedals too of late. Specifically the Marshall Bluesbreaker (or clones thereof). Rather than order one though, I thought this time I'd actually identify the sound I wanted from blues records and then try and find out how to get that sound because "blues" can be interpreted so many ways.

I was chasing John Lee Hooker, Junior Kimbrough, Robert Johnson kinda sounds and realised eventually I could get closest using just guitar and amp and being careful with my fingers or pick. I also really dig the early Black Keys records which is (broadly speaking) like the artists above, but with old Germanium Fuzz's in the mix.

I'm not going to say "I nailed their tone" cause thats not true, but I got close enough to amuse myself.

If you are after a more modern blues sound I could not agree with DVM more on trying some variant of the TS808. If you find one with a clean boost and "Phat" mod I'd suggest giving that a go for "old" blues sounds. Dial in zero gain, tone at 12, Phat mode on (bass boost) and run your pedal volume up to the point that you get a little breakup when you pick hard. That gives you clean with a tiny bit of dirt when you dig in and a big bottom end at low overall volume. Then if you want to get some higher gain blues sounds, go back to the "classic" tube screamer circuit. There are also plenty of variations you can have built in if you feel that doesn't cover enough ground. Germanium diodes will give you drastically less volume, but will break up more like a vintage fuzz pedal. Imagine a Fuzz Face diluted 4-1 in water :) Also very cool for that "just on the edge of breakup" blues style. You can use LED's too if you like, but I personally find them more suited to rock than blues.

As DVM pointed out, you can get all that and more in a single box these days so I'd also suggest starting with a TS based pedal also.

(I might still make the Marshall type pedals anyway, but only out of curiosity)

M29
November 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks DVM I will give that some thought. I have a Bad Monkey and I really like it but there is just something missing.
I am very happy with my Blues Pro it just does not have the bottom I want.

Ch0jin, Thanks for the info. You mentioned the Marshall Bluesbreaker BB2 that is one I want to try, I have heard good things about it but ya just have to try one out yourself. I have a friend that raves about his but he lives quite a ways away and I cannot get out to try it. They used to have Marshall pedals at GC but they got rid of them.

Pedals are like speakers you have to try them out for a while. When it is right it is right.
Well I have some info to go on, thank you guys for your time and help.

M29

oldguy
November 18th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Don't know quite what tone you're looking for, M29, but I used the Bad Monkey here to split the signal between 2 amphs and boost it some.
The overdrive portion is strictly the Ceriatone, though.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=107236#post107236

marnold
November 18th, 2008, 08:51 PM
If you want to go cheap, try the Behringer TO800. People have compared it very favorably to a TS-808. The big difference I've heard is that the TO800 will get a bit dirtier when dimed. You certainly won't be out much to try it.

sunvalleylaw
November 18th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I say either have DVM custom one up for you, or just stick with a Bad Monkey. There might be a pretty cool pedal in between the straight TS-808 clone and the Screamer.