PDA

View Full Version : So what scale does Mr. Van Halen use?

pes_laul
November 19th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Ok I've been kinda stuck in a rut lately and I've really been digging on van halen lately (love the solo in right now) so I decided I needed something new to sink my teeth into. now while I can play just as fast no problem I just have no idea what scale he's using?

anyone?

Katastrophe
November 19th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Well, to get to Eddieland you're gonna have to take a strange road. Start by learning some classical piano, then buy a drum kit. Get pissed that your brother plays better on it than you (substitue another family member here if no brother is available), and take up guitar (you're already there).

Next, start listening to a lot of Eric Clapton. It was one of Eddie's biggest influences. Learn to take those blues phrases and speed 'em up. Practice a significant portion of the day.

Eddie doesn't use one scale pattern. He uses different ones, and pieces of scales, and sometimes uses symmetrical patterns that stomp all over conventional music theory.

Pick up a copy of Van Halen's first album, and buy a tab book of same. Try and learn as much as you can by ear and use the tab book for reference if you get stuck. That'll help you figure out a little bit of his style, and maybe break you out of your rut.

hubberjub
November 19th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Which song are you talking about?

pes_laul
November 20th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Which song are you talking about?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCkQZOnCN3k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCkQZOnCN3k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

for such a short solo it is really powerful

Glacies
November 21st, 2008, 06:56 AM
ewwwww Sammy Hagar.... :p

pes_laul
November 21st, 2008, 03:31 PM
ewwwww Sammy Hagar.... :p
yeah I know he's good but roth was just a better frontman (in my eyes)

the only think I really like from hagar is "right now" and "best of both worlds:

sumitomo
November 21st, 2008, 09:06 PM
He uses anyone he wants too,and makes up a few in the process.Sumi:D

Katastrophe
November 21st, 2008, 09:17 PM
I believe on that song it's mainly a pentatonic scale, but I have been known to frequently be wrong.

pes_laul
November 21st, 2008, 10:17 PM
kat your right just a penatonic.

well I learned the solo not as hard as I thought.

well I didnt quite make it to eddie land but I discovered more of my style and got stuck out of my right and am doing all sorts of new things :dude: