PDA

View Full Version : Dialed In

t_ross33
June 15th, 2006, 10:36 PM
OK, here's the deal...

Took my Peavey Generation EXP in for a tune up. Had a graphite nut installed (after my botched attempt at cutting my own from a blank - long story :o ), truss rod adjustment, intonation set, action lowered....the whole nine yards. Was prepared to pay hansomely for the service and was charged a whopping $40!! Yes, $40 Canadian dollars. It's like a brand new guitar! It practically plays itself -- which is good because I can barely play as it is :p

I've been reading about various rigs and set ups here and came across a Behringer Blues Overdrive for only $25. Figured I got a deal on my guitar reno's, so I grabbed it as well. OK, it's a cheapy compared to a BOSS Blues Driver or Digitech Bad Monkey, but I thought "what the heck, I'll give it a shot". Wow, what a difference! I love the AC30 preset on my AD30VT and with the overdrive I can add some crunch without drastically changing the tone or the volume, or I can use it for a gain boost when I want my eh hem "lead" to cut through the mix. That is so cool! And I learned it right here on theFret.net.

Anyway, just wanted to drop a line and say "Thanks". I've only been here a week and I've learned something already. And my GAS symptoms are getting worse! LOL!

KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :cool:

Trev

Nelskie
June 16th, 2006, 07:00 AM
It always amazes me, too, at how much difference those little things make - both individually, and collectively. When your guitar(s) are in tip-top playing condition, you not only want to play it, but you play longer, and enjoy it more. How can you go wrong?

Also nice to hear that you picked up on the "pedal volume" trick. Again, another one of those little things that can really push your tone in the overall mix, which is pretty important if you're playing with a group. Pedals, even cheap ones, can really pull things together sound-wise.

And G.A.S. symptoms already - after one short week? My advice: get used to it. It's only going to get worse! ;)

6STRINGS 9LIVES
June 16th, 2006, 07:43 AM
No question about it a good set up is the deal ... while i can and have set up my own guitars , there are some things where you realy need a luthier to achieve precision ... for me there is an order of importance in what i want from my set up
1. INTONATION, INTONATION ,INTONATION... thats paramount, it has to be intune at all positions, i will sacrifice action to achieve it on any given guitar.
2. ACTION , personal tastes vary , i like em med low but not too low i like to be able to dig in without worry , no buzzing ,no fretting out.
3. TUNING STABILITY, its got to rock solid and easy to get .
Once I tell the luthier my requirements its his job to make the adjustments , a good luthier will be able to cut the nut , set the relief and bridge to achieve what you want , for me the most important part is the nut , alot of times a poor playing guitar is the result of a improperly cut nut, too high to low all have tremendous impact on how the rest of the adjustments will work ...

t_ross33
June 16th, 2006, 07:54 AM
for me the most important part is the nut , alot of times a poor playing guitar is the result of a improperly cut nut, too high to low all have tremendous impact on how the rest of the adjustments will work ...

Lesson learned!! I never knew it would make such a huge difference. I just figured you set the intonation at by playing the octave and the harmonic on the 12th fret and you'd be good to go. A new nut and set up on a cheap guitar (retailed for about $350CDN - picked it up for $189) and it's a whole new ball game - way better than stock. Now it's in tune all over the neck. I had chalked up tuning/intonation issues to the fact that it's a cheapie, now I'm getting Strat-like tones in the bridge and middle positions and serious grind on my bridge-mounted humbucker - all stock Peavey pups. Next up, a couple of Texas Specials up front and a tappable Seymour Duncan JB down low! Should make for a pretty versatile hot rodded Tele-type! :R

Trev