PDA

View Full Version : Neil Young's "Heart of Gold" DVD..

poodlesrule
November 20th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Some time ago, my wife and I did see the movie "Heart of Gold" (Neil Young, live show, Nashville), and she bought the DVD.

Anybody enjoy the movie as much as I do..?

I end up playing the DVD often, as I find the whole thing a true artistic moment.
After learning some of the lyrics, I can even work on my voice, something I never done before...!

Of note is his rendition of Four Strong Winds, a song my wife knows from her summer camp days... er, some time ago!
We actually sing that piece together in the car, while driving around, entertaining my 85 yr old Alzeithmer's mother-in-law, and she loves it! (She also love the T-Bone Walker CD in the car...her singing along: "dodadado..").
It may all be Neil Young's karma at work here, as Heart of Gold is dedicated to the father he lost to dementia...

warren0728
November 20th, 2008, 09:12 AM
i haven't seen it...might have to check it out....

sunvalleylaw
November 20th, 2008, 11:43 AM
It is a great DVD. Well recorded, very interesting interview portions, great performances. It was done not too long after Neil had his scare he had with his brain issues that were surgically repaired, and he, and his co-performers, are quite reflective. Beautiful renditions of his Prairie Wind album work, and many old favorites as well. It is an acoustic oriented show, with backing band. No Crazy Horse here. It is also really cool to see his gear, including his good ol' D-45 and Hank's D-18. Good stuff! Check it out even if you are not a big Neil fan. I bet you will enjoy it.

EDIT: I am glad your mother in law likes it. That is nice. My MIL is starting to struggle with oncoming dementia (slowly starting to come on). And music soothes her too. She is more of a Mozart gal though.

Steve206
November 20th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I have gotten to the point where I skip some of the tunes to get to the ones that I really like. The version of Harvest Moon with someone playing a broom in the background, is magical. And cannot fail to mention the end song, that he plays solo, while the credits role.

Steve

evenkeel
November 20th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Terrific DVD.

I love his work with Buffalo Springfield, CSNY and most of his solo stuff. Some, but not all, of the Crazy Horse stuff left me a little cold. Harvest, Harvest Moon, Prairie Wind are a "must listen to" in my book. So naturally this DVD is a real fave.

sunvalleylaw
November 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Gotta hop back in and give a shout out for Crazy Horse. I like me some Crazy Horse stuff right along with his "Harvest" sound, and his Living with War album done Crazy Horse style really nailed my feelings at that time. That overdriven Fender being beat to shreds by Old Black is a very enjoyable sound for me if I am in that mood. But this DVD is a really great representation of his other "Harvest" sound. I would really recommend it.

birv2
November 20th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I think it's one of the great concert movies ever done. Especially when you consider the director also did Silence of the Lambs!:whatever:

One of the great things about Neil is that he's got 2 totally different musical personas -- the ragged grungy rocking Crazy Horse stuff, and then this beautiful mellow country folk music. I love them both.