PDA

View Full Version : Traynor Custom Special 50

ZMAN
November 20th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I have been on a Marshall quest lately and I have come across a Traynor custom special 50. I was told by a very prominent local musician that is was a fabulous amp. Gives you the true Marshall tone and can be run at 50 or 15 watts. Celestion vintage 30 speaker and built like a tank.
I was just wondering if anyone else had heard anything on them.

Blaze
November 20th, 2008, 02:37 PM
This one :

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=1&cat=60&id=404

http://www.traynoramps.com/default.asp?p1=3&p2=0&p_id=13&id=65

I play with a Traynor Ycv40 wr ,its more in a Twin Style , i love it..

Somebody find a clip

Ciao

Blazes

ZMAN
November 20th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I had a YCV 40 in Red. The new one I am looking at is the combo. I have heard a lot of good things about it. I really didn't bond with the red. I am hoping that the Special 50 will be better.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/NaturalSheraton.jpg

oldguy
November 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I have an anniversary model in wine red. (YCV-40).
I love it. Not quite Fender cleans and not quite Marshall overdrive, but close to each in one combo amp. :)

Blaze
November 20th, 2008, 09:49 PM
That s the best clip i ve found the image is pretty bad but the sound is ok..:

71uoGMoTAq4&feature

M29
November 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM
Man Blazes that baby sounds good! Nice definition between notes in the chords and smooth distortion.

M

ZMAN
November 22nd, 2008, 07:39 AM
I called my local dealer and he said I can get one in less than a week. But I have a line on a JCM 600 2/12, and I just missed on a DSL 401 yesterday.
It was only listed for a couple of hours before it sold. I really want a Marshall but I do like the idea of a Canadian Made amp that is made from top of the line Materials. And it does sound pretty good.
I wish I could hear more samples. I don't know about you guys but some really good equipment has "suddenly" come up for sale around here. My only problem is do I buy a new Traynor, or for the same price a used Marshall combo.

Algonquin
November 22nd, 2008, 07:44 AM
There hasn't been many clips of the YCS 50 on Youtube, but I think that 'alibar123' did an excellent job on the clip he posted. I believe they were selling for about $850 last Feb when I was amp hunting... a reasonable price for a versatile amp I thought.

ZMAN
November 22nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
They are still that price. Apparently they have lots in stock at Yorkville. so I don't think they are flying off the shelves. I don't usually succumb to brand names but I really want Marshall tone, so I may have to bite the bullet and get a Marshall. But if not I know I can get the Traynor for a decent price.

tunghaichuan
November 22nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
They are still that price. Apparently they have lots in stock at Yorkville. so I don't think they are flying off the shelves. I don't usually succumb to brand names but I really want Marshall tone, so I may have to bite the bullet and get a Marshall. But if not I know I can get the Traynor for a decent price.

As I've said before, the DSL series and JCM600 series sound pretty good, but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. The JCM600 series in particular was kind of spotty in the reliability department. Sometimes you got a good one, sometimes you got a real lemon. IMHO, the last decent build quality Marshalls were the Jubilee and JCM800 series of the 80s. None of the newer Marshalls compare, except for the uber-expensive new handwired series.

The main problem with these amps is the board mounted pots and tube sockets. Board mounted pots are a bad idea because they are used to anchor the PCB to the chassis. This means that if the pot has to be replaced (or even cleaned) the whole board has to be taken out, which makes for a very expensive repair. PCB-mount tube sockets are a bad idea as heat from the tube will eventually warp the board and cause the traces to crack or break. This can cause all kinds of weird hard to find problems in the amp.

I'm not sure about Traynor, I've never investigated the build quality. Although I do seem to remember a YouTube video where a guy was playing one and another guy picked it up and threw it on the floor. The amp still worked after it was plugged in.

tung

Blaze
November 22nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
Found this review of the custom special

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Traynor/Custom+Special+50/10/1

this is a review of my Traynor YCV40-WR 112 Combo which won a price in guitar player magazine few years ago,to show you traynor does good stuff still..

But if you badly want a Marshall , go for it ..

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Traynor/YCV40-WR+112+Combo/10/1

ciao

Blazes

ZMAN
November 22nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks guys, I have read all the reviews on most of the amps I have mentioned and checked them out on youtube. I will probably be able to bring the JCM 600 home to try out. I am also looking at a JCM 900 and a DSL 401 if they ever get back to me. I was supposed to look at a used YCS 50 today but I had to go out of town. As we get closer to Christmas they are coming out of the woodwork. So I will be patient. Thanks for all the feedback. I would hate to get an amp that can't perform on only home use.
I can understand if it is gigged etc. Mine will look the same and probably sound the same in 10 years.