PDA

View Full Version : Open Mic

evenkeel
November 20th, 2008, 04:38 PM
After a eight month sabbatical from playing out I jumped back into the open mic scene last night.

Typical open mic in a bar situtation. Wide range of styles and abilities. I came up after a very good duo. I did a three song set. That seems to be the magic number. One original and two covers. I've been working out a bunch of stuff in open tunings of late and used the open mic to give them a test drive. The original is in open G, the covers in D.

I've always had a bit of a problem with stage fright. Maybe anxiety is a better word. I kept thinking of Rockets comment and I'm para phrasing here. "There are lots of real things to worry about in the world, why worry about performing". Maybe it helped. I was a bit nervous but once I got going, I wound up having a pretty good time.

luvmyshiner
November 20th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Sweet keel! Any chance someone was recording the session?

sunvalleylaw
November 20th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Good deal, Keel! It is good to get out and challenge one's self. I don't think anything makes me learn material and improve better than getting ready to perform it.

Kazz
November 20th, 2008, 05:08 PM
WTG EKeel....

Childbride
November 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
very cool, 'keel! :D :D :D

evenkeel
December 11th, 2008, 09:29 PM
So tonights open mic venture was a bit of the good, the bad and the ugly. :D

Played another three song set. Started with a original in standard tuning. That's the "Good". Then did Neil Youngs Harvest Moon, which is in drop D. No idea why but I got the tempo meter dialed in a bit fast. Did not have that nice easy, relaxed tempo. Just a bit frenetic. Ok maybe not "Bad", but not the way I wanted it. Ended with a original in DADGAD. Just a dumb idea. Took me forever to get the damn guitar in tune. The host had a nice set up with a stomp box tuner. But I just fumbled with the bloody thing. This would be the "Ugly" part. Once I got the damn guitar in tune I actually played the tune ok, but Yikes!!!

Just for the record, the self tuning robot guitar seems pretty good to me right now!!! :thwap:

hagarfreak33
December 15th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Congrats:bravo:
I suffer a bit from stage fright too-not because of my playing but because of my balding head and fat a$$.:D I feel people are staring at me:)