PDA

View Full Version : The end table

Steve206
November 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM
On one of my many trips through the guitar/music/recording/spare bedroom, on the way to let the dog out of the house, I looked down at the end table, next to the couch.

A lamp, a case of old dominos[?], three slides - Glass, Brass and Ceramic, a Kyser capo and a Korg Ca-30 tuner. It is a piece of crap table and the only reason it is in the room is that I did not have another one to substitute.

Reminds me, a little, of an old cowboys room, that my Dad and the cowboy, allowed me into, a long time ago. The cowboy lived in this house with his wife and daughter and he had outbuildings and barns and horses and dogs. But, in one of the bedrooms, there was a small table, in the shape of a saddle, located at the end of the bed and in front of a chair.

Hung off of the pommel of this table was a gunbelt and holster with a real pistol. There were extra bullets in little loops on the belt. The small table was in the room to provide the fulcrum needed to help get a boot off of your foot. It also served as a place to hang a holster. I wanted to touch that gun with all my heart. It had a Matt Dillon smell to it and I already owned, twin, fanner fifties from Mattel, that I used to draw against the Marshall, during the start of Gunsmoke, every week, at 6:30.

mrmudcat
November 20th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Sounds like material for an original song:beer:

Steve206
November 20th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Hey Mud,,,

I guess we both heard the slide guitar part, lurking in the memory.

Good holidays to you,,,

Steve

Ch0jin
November 20th, 2008, 10:22 PM

Sure does man!

It had a Matt Dillon smell to it

OK I'll admit I first read that as "It had a Matt Damon smell to it" but even after re-reading it I still don't get it.

I grew up with firearms, (Roo and Boar hunting) but for me that smell is cordite and gun oil.

I'm assuming you aren't talking about the same Matt Dillon that was in Something about Mary?

Help a colonial understand :)

markb
November 20th, 2008, 10:52 PM
This Matt Dillon. Obviously didn't get shown in Oz. I don't remember it in colour though.

9qlLtvX4xOM

mrmudcat
November 21st, 2008, 07:45 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunsmoke

:master:

bigoldron
November 21st, 2008, 11:25 AM
This Matt Dillon. Obviously didn't get shown in Oz. I don't remember it in colour though.

9qlLtvX4xOM

Dude, I grew up watching Gunsmoke. We didn't miss it on Monday nights, unless the President was on!

oldguy
November 22nd, 2008, 04:56 AM

Sounds cool, Steve.

(Reading that made me think of "Desperadoes waiting for a train." by Jerry Jeff Walker.)