PDA

View Full Version : Squire affinity P bass or SX P bass

Duff
November 20th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I'm sure there are opinions out there regarding the merits of these two inexpensive bass guitars.

I'm looking at a '04 black Affinity Squire P bass that is in mint condition but wonder if it is plywood or of less quality than the 109 or whatever SX P basses?

I'm thinking of taking off the pickguard and verifying that the Affinity P bass is not plywood. I'm assuming it's alder or agathis or basswood without any evidence.

Anyone have any opinions they wouldn't mind sharing?

Much appreciated.

Duffy

Ch0jin
November 20th, 2008, 10:11 PM
All I can offer is based on my Squier 6 string, but you wont know it's ply unless you hit it with a sander/knife/dremel etc. They paint the whole body including cavity. I assume this is both easier, and better for the wood. But makes it difficult to tell what its made from.

I'd love to hear if someone else has a good way of ID'ing woods though.

BluesHowler
November 20th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I have a Squire Affinity P bass and it is made from alder. I play it through a Fender Rumble 100 amph and it sounds very nice. The only thing I don't like is the volume and tone pots scratch when adjusted. I've sprayed canned air into them in an attempt to clean them but that did not work. If it really bothered me I'd replace them but so far I can live with them.
A friend of mine plays bass in a band and can make my Squire Affinity P sound like a high end instrument so I feel that it is good for the money I paid for it I just need to learn to play better.

Duff
November 21st, 2008, 02:01 AM
Howler,

At a guitar shop you can get a spray can of a thing called,
"contact cleaner" and this stuff is HIGHLY effective at removing scratchiness from tone and volume pots.

I did not get the can they offer at Lowes or other places. The guitar contact cleaner is not exactly the same and does not leave a greasy residue. It costs about 10 dollars a can and works great. Your problem will probably be solved! Directions are on the can.

Go to a guitar shop only for the product, unless someone else here can validate another reliable source because you
DON'T want to get the wrong stuff.

Gotta find out if that P bass is plywood.

Duffy

Duff
November 21st, 2008, 03:08 AM
It's not plywood. Looks like alder and is heavy. Sounds really good. Guy is asking 98 dollars, great condition, except for the one chip on the horn that I verified the composition at.

Duffy

Thanks.

Duff
November 27th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Got the affinity P bass and am going to modify it. I have a brand new affinity J bass that sounds incredible thru my Marshall MB30, haven't played it thru my Rumble 100 yet. But I use a Zoom 2.1uB multi pedal that adds some really smooth tone to the whole groove. I was just playing it a little earlier and will play it some more later. I'm jamming along to some CD's in my computer library with it and my Peavey Generation EX Vintage that has the chrome covered full size humbucker in the neck and the classic Peavey tele pup in the bridge - super great sounding guitar and have the RP350 between it and my Marshall Valvestate II /vs30R that I just bought back from the guy I sold it to. It sounds even better now that my skills have progressed. Really happy to have that little Marshall back. I regretted selling it after a while and feel really lucky and appreciative to have been able to get it back. It is in brand new mint condition for a quite old amp. Not sure exactly how old it is but I'd say at least 10 to 12 years. Mint. Love that little solid state amp.

Duffy

Duff
December 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
I have been playing my Squire P bass almost exclusively as far as basses go for the last few days, to get a feel and ear for it.

It feels great and has low action, new strings, and sounds great thru my Zoom bass pedal into my Marshall MB30. I am continuing to play it and learn it.

So far it seems that the J bass is way more toneful and has better sustain. At this point I would say the J bass sounds better than the P bass, but maybe each has its own purpose and tonality. This is what I am exploring right now. I want to get into the P bass and groove, in the right mood, before I go back to the J bass for comparison.

Also playing my Epi LP Std Plus top solid amber flammed maple thru my RP 350 into my recovered Marshall Valvestate II VS30R, no tube, amp. That mint, new condition Marshall sounds great. Better than I ever remember it sounding. It is like having an old friend back. I'm considering putting in a Jensen ten inch MOD 10/50 speaker in it to replace the Celestion made stock speaker I think is worn out after ten or fifteen years.

Now, that Jensen 50 watt speaker is probably 50 continuous watts and my amp is 30 watts. How will the volume sound from the 50 watt continuous spkr?

I'm really having a hard time deciding what to do here. Should I put in a sensitive 8 ohm like a Red Fang or some other eminence speaker with high sensitivity or should I try to stay at 4 ohms?

Duffy