PDA

View Full Version : First SM57 recording

Algonquin
November 22nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Here's a quick recording I did yesterday using my brand spanking new SM57. :)
I'm pretty new to recording, so it's just plug and play for now.

Cheers!
David

http://www.box.net/shared/i62908i3zn

sunvalleylaw
November 22nd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks for sharing David! Nice and clear sounding, with good articulation and detail. I am impressed by your playing and it is inspiring me to work on my right hand chops a lot more. Good job and have fun with it this weekend! Experiment with recording levels too. I have recorded with this mic only since last Christmas when I got it, and only sporadically at that, but I think it gives some nice results!

oldguy
November 22nd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Really nice chord work, David!:AOK:
I also enjoyed the riffs thrown in there. Very cool.
Thanks for posting this, it shows how nice and clean those mics are for recording.

M29
November 22nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
Yow! That is nice, very nice! Is this something you put together? Don't be hiding stuff like this on us now, more more!
I got a 57 last Christmas and I really like it. Congrats:rockon:

M29

Algonquin
November 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the nice comments Gents. That's a bit of an original tune I worked on with a couple of guys way back. When I picked up the guitar and started playing again it came back to me. They were excellent singers and this was one I always liked playing... I miss those guys.

warren0728
November 22nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
i really liked it....nice sparkly tone....can you give us details on the setup.... :pancake:

just strum
November 22nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
David,

Very nice. What guitar are you playing and any setting information you can provide?

Algonquin
November 22nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
i really liked it....nice sparkly tone....can you give us details on the setup.... :pancake:
Thanks Warren!... pretty basic setup I guess.
Peavey Classic 30
Volume 3
Bass 6 3/4
Treble 7
A bit of reverb from a Digitech Digiverb and a Boss CE-5 chorus (all knobs just a bit past 12 o'clock)
Mic'd dead centre just off the grill cloth into Gearbox's 'Studio Vocal' preset

Edit: Thanks Mark, the guitar was my Telecaster using the Fishman Piezo bridge pickup

helliott
November 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
Very nice, fellow Ontario-have-not-province guy! Love the chord structure and tone -- wish it was longer. What guitar is at play?
And I thought I was pretty much alone in recording off live amps. Really nice tune.
(Check PM)

M29
November 22nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
That bugger sounded very acoustic, again great job!

M

sunvalleylaw
November 22nd, 2008, 11:03 AM
Nope, me too. I like recording my amph so I can see what things will sound like with my gear. I am not smart enough to figure out how to recreate a computer modeled tone live. As a relative newb, I would love to hear any tips you have as well.

And I thought I was pretty much alone in recording off live amps.