PDA

View Full Version : Home smoke detectors..

ted s
November 23rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Most people know they should replace the batteries in their smoke detectors yearly. Because of my occupation, I am ashamed to say I haven't done this is a couple.
I realized I've had the same detectors in the house that I put in when we moved in about 15 years ago.. WTF ?
If your detectors are approaching 5 years old or greater, don't just replace the batteries this year, do us fretters a favour and replace the whole unit.
One in every bedroom, one in the hall, and a CO detector on each level could save your life. (and your gear ! ;) )

R_of_G
November 23rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
I check the batteries every month. Admittedly, I used to not check them at all, but ever since we had the baby I have been a lot more vigilant about it.

just strum
November 23rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Our detectors are hard wired (when one goes off, they all go off) and battery back-up. When our garage caught fire, the alarms didn't go off in the kitchen (the one closest to the attached garage). When we rebuilt the garage, I had an alarm installed in the garage and replaced all the alarms in the house.

Occasionally when I start the lawn tractor, it will put out a little cloud of smoke, the detector in the garage is very sensitive and it sets off all the alarms. The kids sleep late and it usually has them running for the hall.

Remember, only you can prevent garage fires

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/House/Yard/Fire/Picture207.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/House/Yard/Fire/Picture171.jpg

Plank_Spanker
November 23rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
I operationally check all three of my smoke alarms and my CO detector monthly. The batteries get changed twice a year.

luvmyshiner
November 23rd, 2008, 05:29 PM
I hate to admit it, I haven't replaced the fire detectors since I installed them when I bought the house in 1984.:( It's on the "to do" list now.

sunvalleylaw
November 23rd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Ours are hardwired and powered, and have battery backup. We have changed the batteries every november typically, and blow out the innards with compressed air to get rid of dust and any little bugs or anything that might crawl up there. Box elder bugs are known to do that around here, and can cause them to malfunction. We are likely to do a remodel this year after 9 years since the house was built, and when the electrician comes, I plan to have him check them all and replace if necessary. I figure they last only so long. They do work when something burns in the kitchen or whatever, and we maintain them.

Ch0jin
November 23rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
My unit gets inspected a couple of times a year to check the fire door and smoke detectors, but a word to the wise.

These dudes check that they work, not how good your batteries are. I found that out a few months ago when the day after it was tested I was woken up at 3AM by it's "Hey pay attention to me my battery is flat" siren......

My previous flat had all the fire alarms in the building linked to the master fire control system. Burn the toast and every unit in the building's fire alarm went off and could only be silenced by the fire brigade. During my tenancy there I got so used to the alarm going off I didn't even wake up when it went off after a while. Whoops.

just strum
November 23rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
My unit gets inspected a couple of times a year... http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/yikes.gif

Tone2TheBone
November 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
Now I have to drag my heavy ladder in and replace mine. Had the batteries in the same spot since summer. Guess it's nevah too late.

oldguy
November 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
Time change.......check the batteries.
Christmas time.......buy someone you love a new one.

Ch0jin
November 23rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/yikes.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I see what you did there....

Do you use the word "unit" as a noun for "Flat/Townhouse/Apartment" over your way?

Lucky I don't live in an old Chinese style boat, otherwise I'd have said I get my Junk inspected twice yearly :)

just strum
November 25th, 2008, 07:04 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA

I see what you did there....

Do you use the word "unit" as a noun for "Flat/Townhouse/Apartment" over your way?

Lucky I don't live in an old Chinese style boat, otherwise I'd have said I get my Junk inspected twice yearly :)

Shiner must not be around or he would have jumped on the post before I had a chance to post. We do say apartment unit, but not very common.

luvmyshiner
November 25th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Shiner must not be around or he would have jumped on the post before I had a chance to post. We do say apartment unit, but not very common.

Aww heck. Give me some time my friend. Normally things slow down around this time of the year. But apparently this year everyone has decided to give themselves a divorce for Christmas.:whatever: The good news is that when the divorces slow down around New Years, all the DWI's will kick in for some reason.:beer:

Ch0jin
November 25th, 2008, 09:50 PM
But apparently this year everyone has decided to give themselves a divorce for Christmas.

Wow, people round your way have a funny way of celebrating :)

I bought another guitar and an Xbox360 for myself.

H'mm perhaps it's because I'm not married that I get away with that though...