PDA

View Full Version : Tapping Into the Fretter Knowledge Base... Business Related Content

Katastrophe
November 24th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Hypothetical situation:

Say a person were to entertain the idea of doing freelance music on the side (background music for radio ads, automated on hold systems, et cetera).

What equipment would be needed at a minimum, starting from scratch? (Assume our hypothetical person has a good quality Strat electric guitar, and nothing else)

How would YOU market your services if in a similar business?

What would be the startup costs for such a venture?

I (uh... the hypothetical person) could find the space by carving out some room in my home.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

oldguy
November 24th, 2008, 12:26 PM
With a good Strat and nothing else, I'd guess you'll need something to record and edit with, maybe a software program for the computer or a digital recorder. And amphs and effects, whether virtual or actual, for starters.

aeolian
November 24th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I bought a guitar from a person a year and a half ago and when I was over at his house checking out the guitar he told me he writes music for commercials and score music for movies and documentaries and stuff.

I asked him to show me his setup and he took me to his studio which has a fairly sophisticated computer recording program, mixer and decent monitors. He plays keyboards and guitar so he has that scattered around; I forgot to ask him what he does for drums, but I don't recall seeing any drumset nearby. Since he scores music for movies he also has a video monitor where he can play the section of movie he is writing music for while testing out his composition to the scene. I take it there is some mechanism for sync'ing the music and the movie up.

My guess is that his setup must cost around 5 figures, although that is really an uneducated guess.

As far as how you market this I really don't have any idea. He is a reasonably known jazz guitarist who plays around town and has put out a few CDs for small labels. I take it that's where his contacts come from. My guess is that if you are not a performing artist it would be hard to break into the business.

Dreadman
November 24th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Aside from the equipment end of things I'd imagine membership in a musicians union would be a must. I think Rocket would have good info on this, maybe he'll be along.

hubberjub
November 24th, 2008, 03:18 PM
A decent interface for your computer and some sequencing software. I know someone who does jingles for a large professional sports organization with no real instruments other than his guitar.

Katastrophe
November 24th, 2008, 04:29 PM
A decent interface for your computer and some sequencing software. I know someone who does jingles for a large professional sports organization with no real instruments other than his guitar.

Great! So we're looking at something like a Line 6 Toneport? As far as sequencing software goes, what are a couple of good titles to look at?

Tibernius
November 24th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Cubase LE would be a good choice. I'm on a Music Technology course at College and they use that, along with Reason for the MIDI work. Plenty of alternatives though.

markb
November 24th, 2008, 05:11 PM
A computer interface (you could just use a small mixer into a line input) and a copy of Garageband or some Windows recording/sequencing package. Add a mic or two, some cheap percussion bits and the instruments and FX you already have. Old Casio keyboards can be had for peanuts and sound OK if you add a bit of FX and bypass the internal speaker. They also give you a rudimentary rhythm box. For better sounds a USB keyboard will allow you to play virtual instruments, again quite cheap.

SuperSwede
November 25th, 2008, 11:52 AM
WEll yo..the hypothetical person could always buy a Mac and get all of the needed software for free..

sunvalleylaw
November 25th, 2008, 12:32 PM
WEll yo..the hypothetical person could always buy a Mac and get all of the needed software for free..

A computer interface (you could just use a small mixer into a line input) and a copy of Garageband or some Windows recording/sequencing package. Add a mic or two, some cheap percussion bits and the instruments and FX you already have. Old Casio keyboards can be had for peanuts and sound OK if you add a bit of FX and bypass the internal speaker. They also give you a rudimentary rhythm box. For better sounds a USB keyboard will allow you to play virtual instruments, again quite cheap.

I was going to mention that too. Garageband can do quite a bit. Adding the Toneport and the Gearbox software adds a bunch of models as well, and you can get more software from there if you want to get more complicated. I know Swede has some favorites. But it would seem to me you could do a lot of professional sounding work with just the above.

We got a USB Yamaha keyboard at Christmas last year that has a ton of sounds and rhythms, and has a 88 key weighted keyboard. That was only like $600. And you could go with just a basic Casio or something for next to nothing. Start putting that stuff in as tracks in Garageband and you can have an orchestra.

SuperSwede
November 26th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Actually you only need to buy a cheap USB midi controller since Garageband is loaded with really nice software instruments.

There is a decent built in amp-sim as well, so a cheap mac mini could actually be turned in to quite a nice low-cost recording studio.

Jimi75
November 26th, 2008, 03:27 AM
For homeproduction I use the Line6 Toneport UX1, Bandstand and Battery. It cost me about 300USD all together.

The MAC is a very good solution but more expensive.

I think with a budget of 500USD you can make a good start. Be sure to check the market first.

sunvalleylaw
November 26th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Actually you only need to buy a cheap USB midi controller since Garageband is loaded with really nice software instruments.

There is a decent built in amp-sim as well, so a cheap mac mini could actually be turned in to quite a nice low-cost recording studio.

Agreed. I didn't mean otherwise, but to point out additional options. We are hoping to do a remodel that would include a "music/media room" portion of a rec room, and I have that on my brain. The keyboard going near the imac, with the toneport and guitars hanging nearby, output to a TV and Stereo as an option . . .

I may start a new thread.

Tone2TheBone
November 26th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Have you been watching Juno again. ;)

SuperSwede
November 26th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Agreed. I didn't mean otherwise, but to point out additional options. We are hoping to do a remodel that would include a "music/media room" portion of a rec room, and I have that on my brain. The keyboard going near the imac, with the toneport and guitars hanging nearby, output to a TV and Stereo as an option . . .

I may start a new thread.

Sounds great! Your own playroom :)

t_ross33
November 26th, 2008, 07:01 PM
If you are going the commercial route (not "commercials" as in advertising necessarily, but "songs for sale"):

Find the related organizations and associations in your area for songwriters and working musicians. Join them. Partake in any and all seminars offered. Network like crazy.

Learn all you can about registering copywrites for your music and how to promote and market yourself and your songs. On line resources like Sonic Bids are becoming more popular, in addition to the ol' standbys MySpace and Facebook. Network like crazy.

Get yourself a dedicated computer for recording - lots and lots of RAM, like 4GB or better (for running VST effects and virtual instruments). Processing speed and power will help minimize latency. Buy the interfaces and gear you want to use and will be most flexible for you, but whatever software you use for your DAW (digital audio workstation), make sure it can export to a format that Pro Tools can use without jumping thru too many digital hoops. Garageband etc. can do great things, but should probably left for demos. The industry standard is Pro Tools. If you are sending music out to be mixed and mastered, that's probably the format you will need to go with.

Get into a studio and offer your services as a gopher or coffee-beeotch, then absorb everything you come in contact with. Network like crazy.

That's how I'd do it.