PDA

View Full Version : Instrumental Rock-a-Billy tune

jpfeifer
June 17th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just finished recording this tune that I've been working on since February. I wrote this tune hoping to use it in a guitar contest that I'd entered. I didn't fare so well in the contest but at least it forced me to come up with this tune. This tune is a tribute of sorts to various musicians that have influenced me, especially the Beatles.

I recorded this at home on my computer. It was fun working on it and it really gave my fingers a workout -- I'm still trying to play this song right :-)
Let me know what you think.

Here's a link to the tune:
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4077777&q=hi

-- Jim

duhvoodooman
June 17th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Excellent effort there, Jim. That was some impressive pickin' going on, and you made it sound easy! I thought I was going to hear Ringo sing something about being put in the movies there at one point! :DR

SuperSwede
June 18th, 2006, 04:47 AM
That was a nice one, please let me know where I can get it as a MP3 download. It will be a excellent rockabilly backing track! :)

FrankAxtell
June 18th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just finished recording this tune that I've been working on since February. I wrote this tune hoping to use it in a guitar contest that I'd entered. I didn't fare so well in the contest but at least it forced me to come up with this tune. This tune is a tribute of sorts to various musicians that have influenced me, especially the Beatles.

I recorded this at home on my computer. It was fun working on it and it really gave my fingers a workout -- I'm still trying to play this song right :-)
Let me know what you think.

Here's a link to the tune:
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4077777&q=hi

-- Jim
I love the Jerry Reed vibe...really great rhythmic feel ...very funky....nice. Keep up the excellent work!

Spudman
June 18th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Hey Bulldog! Dear Prudence! Help! I'm blown away. That was such a cool way to integrate those melodic parts. I have to tell you... so cool.;)

jpfeifer
June 19th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the comments. One of my friends was a really good Chet Atkins/Jerry Reed style player when I was growning up. He can do this style way better than I can, but he inspired me back then and I'd always wanted to work up a tune in that style. I'm still trying to get it right! :-)

I tried to work in as many signature Beatle riffs that would fit the structure of the song, so I was hoping that some people would recognize those. I didn't know if everyone would be familiar with the "Hey Bulldog" riff, but it's one of my favorite Beatle tunes.

Thanks again for listening guys!
-- Jim

aeolian
June 19th, 2006, 09:39 AM
I Want To Tell You, ;-) ;-) , being a Beatles fan, this is just too cool for words!

This is right up there with what Tommy Emmanuel does with Beatles tunes. Do you mind if I cross-post this link to other boards for people who may want to hear it?

aeolian

Tim
June 19th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Hey Jim - Job well done! Chet Atkins was always my favorite guitarts. The man could play everything. He always just sat there and made it look sooo easy and he had that cool attitude. You may not have perfected it, but you are well on you way to getting there. Keep up the effort.

jpfeifer
June 19th, 2006, 04:51 PM
aoelian,

I would be flattered by that. You're welcome to reference the song link.
I'm glad that there are other Beatle fans out there. I was afraid that people would not pick up on the references to these tunes buried into this arrangement.

One of the best tribute albums I've heard for the Beatles is the one that Lawrence Juber did. He did a whole album of solo guitar arrangements of Beatle tunes, most of them in DADGAD tuning, and it really impressed me. He does an arrangement of Strawberry Fields that is incredible.

Thanks again for the comments on my tune.
-- Jim

Tim
June 19th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Hey Jim - Do you remeber the name of the album? I would most likely look for it in a CD.

Katastrophe
June 19th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Awesome, just awesome! :DR :R

jpfeifer
June 19th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Hi Tim,

Yes, the album is called "Lawrence Juber Plays the Beatles". Here is a link to it. This is a great album. Lawrence Juber used to play with Paul McCartney in Wings during the 70s.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004TFCO/104-9176948-6800753?v=glance&n=5174

-- Jim

Justaguyin_nc
June 23rd, 2006, 12:57 PM
Most excellent Jim.... thats all on the artcore? your sound is killer!

jpfeifer
June 23rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks Justaguyin_nc.

Actually, this track was played on an acoustic. I double tracked it and panned the two tracks left and right. I used a Taylor 514CE.

-- Jim

Justaguyin_nc
June 24th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Very Nice Jim.. thanks for the reply on the Taylor.. what did you run the taylor into and type of setting... awesome sound...

jpfeifer
June 24th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Hi Justaguyin_nc,

To record the acoustic guitar parts I used two mics on the guitar. The Taylor has an internal condenser mic that was built-in when I bought the guitar, so I plugged in a cable and used that for one signal. For the second mic, I used an external mic, an AKG C3000 that I've had for a number of years. These are inexpensive (as large diaphram condenser mics go) at about $300. I mixed the two mic signals together until I got a sound that I liked. One of the mics had a phase reversal switch. (the one inside the guitar) This really helps when you're trying to double mic a guitar. You can notice a big difference in the sound when you flip the phase for one of your two mics. If you're using two external mics then this isn't as critical because you can place the pair at the same distance away from your guitar separated by several feet (this usually has the same effect).

Then I added a little slap back reverb to both tracks to make it sound more like a rockabilly old-school kind of sound.

Thanks, -- Jim