PDA

View Full Version : Odd Gibson LP

evenkeel
November 24th, 2008, 12:47 PM
A question for you Gibson folks. I saw a "Gibson Les Paul Deluxe" today with a bolt on neck. That's what the tag said anyway. I always thought of Fender as the "bolt on" guys. Did Gibson make guitars this way?

The guitar had all the Gibson earmarks, butterbean tuners, dual humbuckers, bound neck, etc.. The colour of the body looked off to me, a rather ugly light brown wood grain and rather sloppily done. I'm almost thinking the guitar was a fake!!

Sorry no pics.

Algonquin
November 24th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Until someone more knowledgeable comes along... (should be shortly)

http://www.lespaulguide.com/how-to-spot-fakes.php
Spotting Fakes
As the Gibson Les Paul is a highly valued guitar, many people will try to make fakes that will sell for far more than they are worth. Here are a few ways to help see these fakes. These knockoffs will not get past the experienced players, but they will be able to trap those who are not familiar with guitars. These instruments normally cost from two thousand to three thousand. So if they are offered for a few hundred then they are likely to be fakes.

If any seller is based out of China or another Asian country, then be careful. None of Gibson’s instruments are made in these places. All Gibson guitars are made in the United States of America. In general, be wary of second-hand online marketplaces like eBay where pirated goods could circulate. If you wish to purchase a Gibson Les Paul online, buy it from a respectable store such as Zzsounds.

Be aware of the common body shapes used by Gibson, and check those that you are looking to buy. Most of the fakes have a Gibson logo that is of a thicker font than the real Gibson logo and is aligned almost horizontally at the top of the headstock. The real Gibson logo is a thinner font and is angled with the G started near the post of the D string tuner. The real key is to look at the truss rod cover. Real Gibsons have a bell shaped truss rod cover with TWO screws, whereask fakes typically have THREE screws. Also, the copies of Les Paul Standards often say "Gibson" right on the truss rod cover, NO Les Pauls say Gibson on the truss rod cover, some Epiphone Les Pauls do but those aren't made in the USA and say Epiphone at the top of the headstock not Gibson.

The fakes will normally be imprinted with genuine appearing serial numbers. However, they will normally not line up with the production years of the real Gibson guitars. On the custom shop Historic and VOS Les Paul guitars, the logo is silk-screened where the fakes use decals.

All well made real Les Paul guitars will come with original Gibson cases. These cases are as well made as the guitar itself many times. If there is not a case included in the sale, or if the seller offers to use a case other than the original Gibson case, then that could be a warning sign.

Maybe the easiest way to check is to ask the seller. Many will tell you that they are made in China. As stated already, not a single Gibson is made in China. All those that claim to be from there are fakes. A Gibson Les Paul is an expensive buy and as such should be treated carefully. As it is a large investment to get such a fine instrument, be sure to go to a seller with a good reputation, preferably an online retailer with a solid history of selling real Gibson guitars.

Edit: Some folks on other forums mentioned Gibson manufacturing some Les Paul guitars with bolt on necks back around 1984... none seemed to fond of them.

What was the ball park price on this one?

marnold
November 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I know that in the 80s Gibson made the Invader which had a Les Paul body with a bolt-on neck. Here's an example:
http://www.elderly.com/items/30U-12778.htm

markb
November 24th, 2008, 03:26 PM
In the days of the so-called lawsuit copies there were usually two ranges from the likes of the Ibanez and Antoria brands. The top end were pretty accurate copies (hence the lawsuits) but there was usually also a cheaper bolt-on range of Gibson copies. Apart from the neck joint (and the poly finish) these are often quite accurate in other respects such as headstock shape. There used to be a shop on Shaftesbury Avenue in London called "Take Five Music" who majored in these copies. They had racks and racks of Ibanez and Antoria guitars which basically covered the entire Gibson and Fender ranges model for model and finish for finish. It's possible the guitar you saw was one of these with a Gibson decal applied.

evenkeel
November 24th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the info.

After a bit more research I'm guessing marnold hit the bulls eye.

So, learned something today. Thanks!!! :bravo: :AOK:

Oh, and in typical pawn shop, pricing craziness the asking price.... $700. Just 48 hours earlier a friend bought a '79 gold top Gibson les paul for $280 from the same place. Timing is everything!! :thwap:

marnold
November 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM
From the pictures I've seen, the truss rod cover says "Invader" instead of "Les Paul." Obviously, that'd be easy enough to swap out.

Brian Krashpad
November 25th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Just 48 hours earlier a friend bought a '79 gold top Gibson les paul for $280 from the same place. Timing is everything!! :thwap:

A '79 LP for $280? US (or for that matter Canuck) dollars?

Are you sure that one was legit? :confused:

evenkeel
November 25th, 2008, 11:34 AM
A '79 LP for $280? US (or for that matter Canuck) dollars?

Are you sure that one was legit? :confused:

Yes!!! Pawn shops are such a cr*p shoot. 90% of the time you see overpriced junk, then something slips thru and you get a winner.

Andy
November 25th, 2008, 11:52 PM
thats sounds more like a fencing operation than a pawnshop.
don't be fooled ,they all know what real les pauls go for.

Jreed
January 7th, 2010, 08:22 PM
The Gibson Invader was made in the early-mid 80's I believe. My dad owned it since he bought in 83 and it is mine now. The first 2 digits of the serial number are 82. It has speed knobs, humbuckings, chrome Nashville bridge, stop piece, and jack plate. The finish has some flaws and 2 of the tuners are bent but it plays like a champ still. I may post some pics when I get the time

-Jake

ZMAN
January 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the info.

After a bit more research I'm guessing marnold hit the bulls eye.

So, learned something today. Thanks!!! :bravo: :AOK:

Oh, and in typical pawn shop, pricing craziness the asking price.... $700. Just 48 hours earlier a friend bought a '79 gold top Gibson les paul for $280 from the same place. Timing is everything!! :thwap:
The Goldtop had to be one of those Chinese copies. My friend has a pawn shop and he was fooled by a fake Zak Wylde bullseye. Headstock said Gibson. A lot of things pointed to the fake. But who cares if it says Gibson on it and he paid 280 as long as he doesn't try to sell it as a real Gibby it would be a fun guitar.