PDA

View Full Version : I think I found my Marshall!

ZMAN
November 24th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I have several Fender amps and I have gone on a Marshall quest lately.
I have a music room that has limited space. I have three of my Fenders along one wall. My tech told me he had a JCM 600 2/12 combo for sale for a reasonable price. I took it home today to try out and of course this is my first Marshall amp and I am totally in awe of how nice this thing sounds.
The clean channel is what I am used to with the Fenders but does take pedals well, but the gain channel is amazing. It is a 60 watt combo and has one Celestion Vintage 30, and one Celestion Heritage speaker. It is really in fine conditon and is a 1997 model. There was a slight tear in the rear tolex so I fixed it. I won't charge him if I don't buy it. It is a two channel amp with separate reverb for each channel, and a master volume. The overal size is about 26 /20/10 and is just a little larger than my Blues Deluxe Reissue.
I really don't have space for a head and cab so this is just the ticket.
It will come in at just under 600 Can. I have a couple of things I might want to trade and he gives me good value for them so we might just have a deal!Again since this is my first experience with a Marshall I might want to wait but looking at the prices of combos this seems to be a good deal.

Robert
November 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Cool, I've never played one of those JCM 600s and I don't know much about them. Just don't get one of the ones they later recalled.

ZMAN
November 24th, 2008, 06:32 PM
What was the recall for? I am amazed at how clear and crisp the gain channel sounds. If that makes any sense it is really sweet. And boy this baby just loves Humbuckers. It takes a little tweaking with the single coils but it has balls for sure.
It is the only amp I have that really sounds great with just the guitar and amp. No pedals. I guess I should have tried Marshall out a long time ago.

oldguy
November 24th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Quit teasing him, Robert............
If it really sounds like your Marshall, get it.:)

Jimi75
November 25th, 2008, 02:51 AM
I have never heard of the recalled series, but I once had the chance to play a JCM 600 combo and I liked it. Good you found something that suits your requirements.

Robert
November 25th, 2008, 06:51 AM
zman, I was just pulling your leg...

I owe this technique all to Spudman.... :)

ZMAN
November 25th, 2008, 08:45 AM
So was I. I recognized the quote from one of Spudman's posts.
It was intersting to find the different speakers in them but reading the Avatar's website I guess a lot of guys do that when they order their cabs.
I ran across an Avatar 2/12 in orange tolex at my local guy but it was loaded with Greenbacks. They wanted a lot for it.
It is kind of hard to pass up. Because when I asked about the amp over the phone he guoted me a price that was 50 dollars more than what it had on it in the store, and on top of that I have a 50 dollar store credit.
I am hesitant because know with my luck I will buy this one and a
a DSL 50 will show up. I have some time today to tweak it some more.

ZMAN
November 26th, 2008, 01:02 PM
After a couple hours of playing/tweaking, I have found that there is something wrong with the clean channel. It totally lacks any kind of volume.
It has to be dimed for any usable tone and the gain channel is only on 2.
Also the reverb is very poor on both channels.
I talked to the tech at the store and he said it could be a bad driver tube in the pre-amp. I will be taking it back on Thursday and if it is the tube we have a deal. Otherwise I am still looking.
Update:
Well there was nothing wrong with the amp just the user. Being inexperienced with two channel amps I didn't realize how key the master volume was. My tech showed me how to "blend" (is the best description I can come up with), the two channels so when you change channels there is not a huge volume leap.
So I have it home again for a couple of day tryout and I think I will be buying it.
BTW He has a Vintage Modern and he said he was not impressed with it.
They are a Marshall dealer and he is one of the best guitarists in the area and for the money he thought the two channel amps are a lot more versatile.
But I will tell you something though. After having only fender amps I am really digging the tone out of this amp.